advertisement

Womens Football Worldcup.

re: VAR penalties

the situation was even more appalling in the france-nigeria match: penalty retaken even though a save was not made -- the shooter hit the post.

I feel for the Scotland team,

VAR has now drawn a line, a line which cannot possibly be maintained.

To rule out the penalty for that is ludicrous. It happens in 99% of penalties taken.

They were robbed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the no movement ruling with VAR on the sideline is going to work out over a season. All keepers move before a penalty is struck otherwise there is no chance of stopping a goal. Presently 70% of penalties result in a goal that will go up 99% and diminish the drama of the game esp in shoot-outs.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the no movement ruling with VAR on the sideline is going to work out over a season. All keepers move before a penalty is struck otherwise there is no chance of stopping a goal. Presently 70% of penalties result in a goal that will go up 99% and diminish the drama of the game esp in shoot-outs.

the rule should be that the keeper can move once the taker has planted his final, non-shooting foot, which is probably very much the reality of what's happening now.

the rule should be that the keeper can move once the taker has planted his final, non-shooting foot, which is probably very much the reality of what's happening now.

Sounds fair. Is that your dad's considered opinion? :)

Sorry for being a bit dim here but why is the goalie not allowed to move before the ball is kicked, what difference does it make, 50% of the time they go the wrong way any way?

Sorry for being a bit dim here but why is the goalie not allowed to move before the ball is kicked, what difference does it make, 50% of the time they go the wrong way any way?

If they could move before the ball is kicked..... what degree of movement would you allow and how would you quantify it and police it?

If they could move before the ball was kicked they could just run at the ball and kick it away themselves.

on a different tack, I was talking the womens game up for reasons of good, fair play (unlike the men mostly) when in USA vs Sweden, a suddenly flurry of dives at the feet of the ref made me rethink....on one a commentator later said, at replay, oh that was 'a good professional dive'?

A good professional dive????????????
WTF.

a: bang goes my daft idea that women were somehow more honest and sporting and
b: if a commentator openly approves of this behaviour, W T actual F have we come to in sport now?

on a different tack, I was talking the womens game up for reasons of good, fair play (unlike the men mostly) when in USA vs Sweden, a suddenly flurry of dives at the feet of the ref made me rethink....on one a commentator later said, at replay, oh that was 'a good professional dive'?

A good professional dive????????????
WTF.

a: bang goes my daft idea that women were somehow more honest and sporting and
b: if a commentator openly approves of this behaviour, W T actual F have we come to in sport now?
I don't watch football BECAUSE of the cheating, and the total lack of respect for the referee by players, coaches and the fans.

Amazingly, regarding the very, very silly VAR, and despite my personal opinion that VAR will continue to control all aspects of football until it becomes bland and tedious and we all take up tiddlywinks (or is that now a non-contact sport???!) the BBC published this article yesterday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48723902
effectively saying that the Rule on Encroachment is suspended and adding "In explaining their decision to approve the request, IFAB accepted that the presence of VARs greatly increases the likelihood of any offence being detected and, as goalkeepers are likely to face a number of kicks during a shootout, there is a higher risk that a goalkeeper will be sent off for receiving a second caution if already cautioned in normal time."
So, they can change laws to suit their purpose. Its farcical.
I have enjoyed the football so far but VAR (I know it has its support out there, I don't want to debate VAR because I am not for turning, end of!) has spoilt the whole tournament for me personally. I was finished with VAR after the France/Norway game when the penalty was awarded for France. That was the worst decision I have ever seen....and it isn't improving...its getting worse.

I think they were contemplating not carrying on as a protest , when they see the replay they will look a bit daft .

advertisement

Back