advertisement

Womens Football Worldcup.

Enjoyed the match tonight, lot's of dynamism & plenty of skill from England.
All seem very comfortable on the ball. I'm adjusting & beginning to enjoy the tournament.

Admittedly the opposition was average but England were different class on the night.

Tougher matches to come.

No one watching tonight? Scotland v Argentina really quite good but tangible amount of cynicism in some of the play which defo was not there at the last women's world cup. As the money in the sport increases, I suppose the 'professionalism' does too.

England played well, but showed some clear weaknesses towards the end.

But the Scotland game - what a fiasco. Surreal scenes at the end there....

England got away with it there , Japan could have won out of sight but our girl Ellen White is a top finisher two chances two goals.
Scotland blew it , 3 up ended 3-3 , like I said in the football thread don't worry if you miss a penalty you always get to take it again with this new rule .

Scotland left their substitutions too late. Var and penalties... What a joke. How is any goalkeeper going to be able to defend a penalty?

The Scotland penalty VAR retake was just ridiculous, as have been some of the VAR handball decisions in other games.

England did well but quite lucky to not concede a goal or two in that really shaky period when they couldn't keep hold of the ball and seemed reluctant to venture into Japan's half. Should have made the substitutions earlier imo.

Ironically, the Scotland goalie only would have needed to stick her boot a foot to her right to have saved the re-taken pen, it was almost straight at her.

I feel for the Scotland team,

VAR has now drawn a line, a line which cannot possibly be maintained.

To rule out the penalty for that is ludicrous. It happens in 99% of penalties taken.

They were robbed.

It would be interesting to see what footage the referee saw before awarding the penalty.

From a lot of the footage shown on TV it was a stone-waller. However, the important view appeared to show the Scots defender getting a toe to the ball before 'fouling' the attacker. Also, did the referee overrule the VAR decision? Why did she feel the need to look at the screen herself? Could the VAR not make their own minds up?

However, I'm a biased Scotsman and we're used to glorious failure. :D

However, I'm a biased Scotsman and we're used to glorious failure. :D

Yep, with a place in 2nd round at stake, losing a 3-0 lead with 20 mins to go is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Argentina's subs made a huge impact, cannot understand why Scotland didn't have their subs on earlier.

Let the goalie do what she likes as soon as the taker has made a move- sorted!

A ten yard run for both of them? The goalie might even get to the ball first!

I think it was a US thing that never caught on in the UK - the ball is on the centre circle and the player has 30 seconds to beat the keeper, who I think could come off her* line.

Might be worth a try, but I prefer what Bart said. It would allow the player to try and fox the keeper by sending her* the wrong way, but reduce the time allowed for the player to do a stuttering, shuffling run up.

*doing it for the girls

advertisement

Back