advertisement

Nextel paint ?

Chris

pfm Member
Thinking of retrieving from the loft my Sugden A48II , yes the good looker, and heybrook HB2s system but the brown gunge once known as nextel is just that - gungy ! Could scrape it all off and repaint it black leaving the original grey front and orange/red stripe I suppose but does anything remotely like nextel still exist ?

There are some rough textured paints that would look good, I don't know the correct name for it. My Stereo Lab TD-124 plinth has a textured finish that was described as 'structure-coat', though that was a German site so it may be an odd translation. I'd definitely strip it and refinish, but do try to emulate the rough matt texture. I've seen A48/IIs on eBay refinished in flat gloss and they look all wrong IMO.

Thinking of retrieving from the loft my Sugden A48II , yes the good looker, and heybrook HB2s system but the brown gunge once known as nextel is just that - gungy ! Could scrape it all off and repaint it black leaving the original grey front and orange/red stripe I suppose but does anything remotely like nextel still exist ?

Yes, Nextel does still exist you can try looking at:
http://www.buildingdesignindex.co.u...z-UK/NextelSuedeCoating-3101-surface-coating/

I got a list of seven recommended Nextel sprayer from Mankiewicz when I was considering refinishing a pair of Celestion SL600s. PM me if the information is of use.
DGP

Paints and surface finishings have changed enormously over the past 20 years or so, not least odd-ball things like Nextel and the traditional ones sold by Hammerite. All due to the requirements for low VOCs, solvents in general etc.
Tread carefully - nominally the same paints are often very, very different in many ways.

Paints and surface finishings have changed enormously over the past 20 years or so, not least odd-ball things like Nextel and the traditional ones sold by Hammerite. All due to the requirements for low VOCs, solvents in general etc.
Tread carefully - nominally the same paints are often very, very different in many ways.

I would entirely second the above.

Professional painters can order nextel but the paint is expensive and you'll have to pay for far more than you need. I had a Revox B77 case and a B760 tuner done about five years ago and when resprayed they were as original. I have kept the tuner. At one time, nextel refinishing services by post were offered on eBay, IIRC. Quite a few Revox turntables have been done. The flat paints used by Revox also Studer are also still available, I found.

My thoughts too. I have a pair of Systemdeks done in this stuff and it's shite.

I have a VW golf that was full of it... I managed to wash it off all by taking the parts off and washing them with hot water and fairy liquid in a bowl, very little effort required. I then wrapped them in a high quality Matt black vinyl wrap. This was two years ago and it still looks factory fresh.

I remember the later Meridian 100 Series amps. having a Nextel finish.
As my original Meridian was a plain brown/green finish, when I wanted an
extra power supply I had to order the finish to match.
The Nextel seem to chip and come off rather too easily.
I don't know why Meridian changed the finish.

Thanks everyone but being realistic I don´t think I can justify the cost of a nextel job on an amp that I may or may not use. Living in Spain it would be complicated and costly. Funnily enough I have seen on the web a company in Galicia that offers a "Peach-skin" effect and also a very impressive chrome paint finish which looks really good although not much use for my Sugden. I guess I´ll just clean it up as best I can and use the system a bit to see if I really need it and take it from there.

I have a VW golf that was full of it... I managed to wash it off all by taking the parts off and washing them with hot water and fairy liquid in a bowl, very little effort required. I then wrapped them in a high quality Matt black vinyl wrap. This was two years ago and it still looks factory fresh.

Seems to be all the rage with the go faster boys. My son was on about having his Astra dash flocked. Is that what your Golf had?
I used meths to take the Nextel finish off one of my Systemdeks. It was a right sticky mess but looks fine now in satin black.

Seems to be all the rage with the go faster boys. My son was on about having his Astra dash flocked. Is that what your Golf had?
I used meths to take the Nextel finish off one of my Systemdeks. It was a right sticky mess but looks fine now in satin black.

No, my GTI was pretty much stock, they used nextel on the trim around the stereo, heater controls, ash try and on all the interior door pulls. I removed all the nextel and used a Matt, soft touch wrap on them, it's not a flock finish, that'd be a nightmare to keep clean. I actually have the R32 trim to go in it but haven got around to fitting it yet.

Thread ressurection warning....

Has anybody got anything recently refinished in Nextel and if so, by whom, how good was it and how much did it cost?

I have stripped the outer case on my B77 with meths and I am going to respray it with grey primer followed by Slate grey plastic bumper paint from Halfords

Alan

advertisement

Back