advertisement

Womens Football Worldcup.

I clearly remember watching group games in the Men's World Cup, let alone domestic games, that were a bit dull and a bit slow.

I was having this discussion with a gent I know whilst watching my daughter playing football at the weekend, he watches the Villa week in, week out (I am also a season ticket holder at a lower league club...not Macclesfield but close!)
When watching the girls play I do not compare them to men's football and it would be a misjudgement to do so. Remember these girls are playing football. They have given up everything to play football. They live and breathe football. They have an equal measure of passion and skill for our beautiful game. The Argentinian side yesterday showed us everything that football is all about. It was their first point and clean sheet in a WC against a very good Japanese side who are one of the favourites.
Some of the games so far have been very entertaining, end to end, played with pace, skill and passion that I earns my admiration.
It has inspired my daughter to go out there and play against all the odds. She scored her first goal on Sunday, she put her foot on the ball, turned, beat 3 defenders and put it in the net with her left foot. Her smile lit up the world, that is what makes football, men or women, so special to me personally.
These girls who are out there playing football are all heroines.
For me it lacks the intensity of the men's game which drives many to watch football in the first place. It feels a little underwhelming as a competitive sport. I could say good on them, all heroines but I feel I would be patronising the sport.

This is the only sport played by women which feels this way to me. In every other sport I have zero preference.

For me it lacks the intensity of the men's game which drives many to watch football in the first place. It feels a little underwhelming as a competitive sport

Did you watch France v Norway last night. Highly competitive, loads of action - more intense that many a mens match I have seen.

That's American sports for you , statistics , Thirteen to Zero , Alex Morgan with five net shots , will be breaking news on CNN

and what is the problem with a culturally different way of presenting the action, the results etc......

For me it lacks the intensity of the men's game which drives many to watch football in the first place. It feels a little underwhelming as a competitive sport. I could say good on them, all heroines but I feel I would be patronising the sport.

This is the only sport played by women which feels this way to me. In every other sport I have zero preference.

Raga, the women's game is relatively new, well at least as far as proper club structures and wages now. The professional approach had only been taken in
recent time and their progress has been remarkable in such a short time and with far less dosh that the men's game. Good luck to them, I find the games
interesting to watch, less play acting, although some of the men's worse points are begin to appear

Bloss

Did you watch France v Norway last night. Highly competitive, loads of action - more intense that many a mens match I have seen.
I didn't. I have tried over the years to get involved & was hoping this tournament would finally win me over but alas not, as yet. I did watch some old footage of the men's tournament from the 70's & felt that even though the speed of play was similar to the modern women's game, the invention & chess playing was much more intense. I do enjoy how foreign teams think 3 or 4 moves ahead compared to the English game & is probably why i'm not connecting as this is severely missing from the women's game for me.

I will probably watch from the quarters as I would imagine by then things may have gained some intensity, at least in terms of excitement if not the skill factor.

although some of the men's worse points are begin to appear

they've been there forever. My 17 year old niece plays for a well known team, and I have been watching the womens and young girls game for about a decade - and it mirrors the worst aspects of the mens game. My nephew (aged 16) is doing referees training at the moment, and he regularly referees girls games and he tells me that the boys and girls are equally bad and cynical in their behaviour on the pitch

how foreign teams think 3 or 4 moves ahead compared to the English game

you been watching different English games to me. Just watch City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and others play - to me they do just as you state. Any team that plays out from the back has to. I have watched alot of Spanish football in my time, been to Barca to see them play loads of times, and the difference that strikes me is the movement of players ahead of the one with the ball, is more imaginative and perhaps more fluid.

you been watching different English games to me. Just watch City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and others play - to me they do just as you state. Any team that plays out from the back has to. I have watched alot of Spanish football in my time, been to Barca to see them play loads of times, and the difference that strikes me is the movement of players ahead of the one with the ball, is more imaginative and perhaps more fluid.
I should have been clearer, I was referring to the national teams over the years.

and what is the problem with a culturally different way of presenting the action, the results etc......

Nothing it is why they celebrated stamping their domination over the minnows because stats are a big deal in American sports .

Nothing it is why they celebrated stamping their domination over the minnows because stats are a big deal in American sports .
At half-time in the famous German annihilation of Brazil in the 2014 semi-final, Joachim Löw told his team that something very special was happening here, and that they should minimise any further celebration to stop rubbing salt in the Brazilian wounds before their home crowd.

USA are a good side but I long to see them get a good stuffing by a better team if only to see as a counterpoint to the Thailand game, them all fall to their knees utterly distraught at their loss....

I don't really watch football to any extent but have watched a bit of the world cup and I did watch spurs play liverpool the other week in a final of some kind. I don't think the 'mens' game has a lot to say against the 'womans' game if that particular game was anything to go by.

I'm not a footie fan at all (mainly due to disliking all the theatricals and finding it rather dull as a result)...but watching the England Argentina game now and it is so much more engaging than most 'male' matches I have watched in recent months.

advertisement

Back