advertisement

Go mirrorless they said...smaller and lighter they said...

Mirrorless won’t make any difference to long focal length lenses like these. The size of the lens will be driven by the lens aperture and the need to cover a ‘full-frame’ sensor without serious vignetting.

The short registration length of a mirrorless camera can help make shorter focal length lenses more compact since they don’t need to be as strongly retro-focal, or even not retro-focal at all.

I guess with full frame you can’t reduce the size and weight of the lenses so any real size/ weight savings made with the mirrorless bodies are offset. With the Panasonic S1/ S1R there isn’t even a real saving over an DSLR body!

I've been using mirrorless for a few years now (E-M5, X-T1, E-M5 II, X-T2 and again X-T1), and considering going back to reflex...

I like the smaller size of body and lens (I use a wide-normal pancake) but ultimately prefer the feel of the reflex.

Well, here on the left with have Canon’s EF 70-200, and on the right their upcoming RF 70-200 for mirrorless. No word on the respective weights, but Canon are certainly working hard at chopping the grams off at the mo.

Oh come on. Photo shows while editing post, turns into a red X in the thread. Grrr.

Last edited:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4...new-sony-gm-600mm-f4-and-g-200-600mm-f5-6-6-3

Lovely lenses but about the same size/ weight as Canikon, Sigma, Tamron super teles.

Yep. And for the sake of completion now consider an abomination such as this one:
9jnBzdA.jpg

Now compare it with this
yx99WLn.jpg

And I speak as a Nikon user and fan of 20+ years.

Ah, the marvels of marketing.

I would think that the Df is as much about marketing as any camera, given the eye-watering price for what you actually get.

PS, I'd love one. Only I can't afford one.

My point was not so much about the camera but about the lenses and concept.

Replace the Df above with a D610 if the price/feature ratio of the Df is of concern - I believe my point would still stand. If you find the Voigtlander 40mm also expensive, replace it with the Nikkor 50 f/1.8D. Cracking setup and I doubt anyone will be able to tell apart in a blind test the pictures you take with it from those you take with a Z6+phallus shaped £400-worth 50mm 1.8S lens (unless we're shooting brick walls or test patterns perhaps).

Tangentially - I find the Z6 or Z7's price truly eyewatering, and I hate paying for features I don't need. For starters, I don't need video features. Lately I've found I don't need too many buttons. I don't need menus either.

But that's just me. I'm a young hipster with the brain of a grumpy old fart. I've sold all my digital equipment and have gone back to a tiny Olympus OM2n with 28mm and 50mm. Tiny, always with me, and I'm having a cracking time developing and scanning my own film. Horses for courses! :)

But that's just me. I'm a young hipster with the brain of a grumpy old fart. I've sold all my digital equipment and have gone back to a tiny Olympus OM2n with 28mm and 50mm. Tiny, always with me, and I'm having a cracking time developing and scanning my own film. Horses for courses! :)

If you love the OM2 with a 28mm lens (one of my favourite lens sizes) you will adore the Contax G1/2 with their 28mm which is just stunning.

The Df has been available for almost six years now and the price hasn’t dropped in that time. In fact, in Canada the price has increased but likely because of our crappy dollar. But when it was released I thought it was quite something. A full-frame D4 sensor in the smallest and lightest body with a battery that lasts forever and — the important thing — it had Nikon in non-italic font.

As albireo notes, that and a couple of Voigtlander primes make for a light and capable camera.

I think the Df was a one-off for Nikon — much like the SP 2005 — so don't hold your breath for a Df2.

Joe

I'm actually quite interested in a Z because of the enhanced video capabilities, but that apart I would see little point in buying one. The prices are anyway progressively dropping.

I use a D7200 and have a number of DX lenses, so changing to a Z6 would entail a complete system change. 4k video would open more possibilities, but the sensible thing would probably be to go to a D500.

I also am using film again, I have a couple of F3s, one old and battered, the other which has only had about 5 reels of film through it.

I can feel myself wanting a medium format-ish mirrorless. I can’t justify the funds, but I think for a large number of my images that’d be spot on. I hope it’s just a matter of me waiting long enough for sensible prices.

advertisement

Back