advertisement

Old Motorcycle help

One problem might be (don't know the UK laws) that if it is not original, put assembled with bits ancient and modern, it will not be classified as "Vintage" and will not be allowed on the road because of air pollution and/or noise. Also, making a large number of alien parts fit and work together properly can be technically very difficult and very expensive. And in the end you will have a bike that is worth nothing. Sorry to be negative, but I've done this kind of thing most of my life, starting with a 1955 AJS 500 twin, in the early '70s.
Why not buy one of the current Indian Enfields? I'm sure it would work out cheaper and you'd have something to sell on eventually.
He realises this he is doing it because he likes them and wants to ride them, he isn't in it for profit. UK law won't be an issue with such an old bike we can prove the dates of the frame and engine and this is enough to put it back on the road, Road Tax is free and its MOT exempt, but it will be MOTed to avoid any issues if stopped. He has the correct frame engine, gearbox, part of the front forks, the rest will be manufactured or fitted with the nearest we can find matching parts. It's not being built as a show winner just an old bike to be used. Luckily many bikes of that era used the same parts suppliers so we should be able to find some bits. A newer Enfield doesn't interest him as much as he likes 20's - 30's style bikes, he would love a flat tanker 20's bike but they cost a fortune.

OK. But remember that everything is important. A loose handlebar mounting, a dodgy mudguard mounting, a bad drive chail, a snapping throttle, clutch or brake cable. For cables you'll have to make your own, soldering the nipples on. This must be done really well or the nipples come off. Just an example....
I work as an engineer so understand your concerns, it will be well engineered and safe, we will also MOT it even though its exempt. I have rebuilt several cars and bikes so safety wont be an issue

Dear Winchman,
Sounds reasonable. I had not understood that you had the corresponding frame and forks. Makes all the difference, of course. Sorry if I was being a bit "prophet of doom."

Have fun!

Dear Winchman,
Sounds reasonable. I had not understood that you had the corresponding frame and forks. Makes all the difference, of course. Sorry if I was being a bit "prophet of doom."

Have fun!
No problem, we have the bare bones but its often depressing when you look at what we haven't got, but we have found a lot in a short time, the last owner found an original unpainted chrome tank, its lovely so it is possible, just need enough people to look in the shed and find all the bits, went to a small 30 stall auto jumble at the weekend and a bloke had 3 1920's gear boxes, what's the chance of that?

It should be perfectly doable so long as originality is not a major aim... I'd build it as a bitza in a 30's style using whatever period correct-ish parts can be "persuaded" to fit.

Thank s but the problem we have with a wheel builder is assuming we can find a pair of hubs they want £600+ for a pair, he can't afford that and you would be spending more than the bikes worth.
How hands on is he? I made a Honda 250K4 in the '90s with parts from 32 bikes in the end! Even old Guzzi bits, 'cos I had them. I also made a wheel jig and laced my own rims; it wasn't too difficult. And I made up the cables, soldering the nipples, to fit controls to carbs and clutch. The only problem I had with it was running it too lean and holing a piston, but that was easily fixed. I had the K4 frame and engine, so registering it was easy enough (no Q plate), and simply had it MOTed.
38527102316_5dbbb7c5c8_z.jpg

It should be perfectly doable so long as originality is not a major aim... I'd build it as a bitza in a 30's style using whatever period correct-ish parts can be "persuaded" to fit.
Thats the current plan
We have
Frame, tank, 1/2 the forks, Three engines, two gear boxes, handle bars, seat, mudguard brackets. So the rest will have to be what we can find, he is only 19 and an apprentice so very keen and already planning how to make parts

I've just been to a local "bike night". Ok and behold, there was a 1920s flat tank Royal Enfield. 2 stroke engine, minimal brakes. As in not as good as my pushbike. I chatted to the owner, he said it was a 1921 lightweight 225cc version. That rings a bell, I thought. Apparently there are about 20 left, talk to the RE owners clu b for details. Not an easy resto, not many survived. Some bits are generic, happy days. Some not. The chap I spoke to bought it in 1963 and got it running about 10years ago.

How hands on is he? I made a Honda 250K4 in the '90s with parts from 32 bikes in the end! Even old Guzzi bits, 'cos I had them. I also made a wheel jig and laced my own rims; it wasn't too difficult. And I made up the cables, soldering the nipples, to fit controls to carbs and clutch. The only problem I had with it was running it too lean and holing a piston, but that was easily fixed. I had the K4 frame and engine, so registering it was easy enough (no Q plate), and simply had it MOTed.
38527102316_5dbbb7c5c8_z.jpg
I

I bet the "Guzzi bits" are the pair of Stucchi exhaust silencers (HaHa!) with an extra silencer on the end. What do I win?

I've just been to a local "bike night". Ok and behold, there was a 1920s flat tank Royal Enfield. 2 stroke engine, minimal brakes. As in not as good as my pushbike. I chatted to the owner, he said it was a 1921 lightweight 225cc version. That rings a bell, I thought. Apparently there are about 20 left, talk to the RE owners clu b for details. Not an easy resto, not many survived. Some bits are generic, happy days. Some not. The chap I spoke to bought it in 1963 and got it running about 10years ago.
Thanks
My Son's is 1934 so same 2 stroke 225CC engine but different frame tank etc, but as you say the 20's bits are generic as are the 30's, just been to Newark Autojumble, not a single 30's Royal Enfield or Honda XL part so bit disappointing,Couldn't even find a pair of matching old wheels that would fit. but he has bought some odds and ends from a chap in Belgium! The last owner went to a Jumble in Kent and found some forks from a dealer but the bloke isn't set up for postage? So hoping he will decide to post as whilst they are not complete they have a good percentage of the bits he needs.
I think he is joining the Vintage Motorcycle club its a tad expensive though.

How hands on is he?
[/QUOTE
He is very hands on, whilst he is an electrical apprentice he is very good mechanically and can tig weld, so he is happy to have a go at making bits, we are hoping to go to a few bike museums and measure up so he can make a start on the bits he can't find.

I

I bet the "Guzzi bits" are the pair of Stucchi exhaust silencers (HaHa!) with an extra silencer on the end. What do I win?
Not a lot. The Guzzi bits were Dellorto carbs and various cables. Those ugly exhausts were aly tubes with MIG welded ends and gas welded cut and shut downpipes to suit.

Not a lot. The Guzzi bits were Dellorto carbs and various cables. Those ugly exhausts were aly tubes with MIG welded ends and gas welded cut and shut downpipes to suit.
Ah, well....I thought they looked like those short and amazingly, illegally noisy exhausts made by Stucchi for V7Sport and Le Mans. Yours are not really that ugly, "functional." To me the bike looks great, in a 1980s "functional and fierce" way.

advertisement

Back