advertisement

NCC300

Hi, this may sound like a simple issue, so forgive me for asking, I am building a couple of monobloc Avondale NCC300 amps and wonder what power rating of resistors I should use. Are 600mW metal film Vishays okay or should I up the power rating?
Thanks

Has Les released some more DIY PCBs?

I know he's currently struggling to meet demand on built up boards.

BugBear

These work well and are I believe what LesW uses.

https://uk.farnell.com/search?st=Welwyn MFR5 resistors
Thanks. I originally bought Vishay metal film 1% 600mW 350v resistors. When I ordered them they looked just like the ones LesW uses but when they arrived I immediately realised they are a lot smaller ☹️ I've since been doing a bit of homework on this and discovered that the Vishays don't sound that great either. I've now bought some Takman Rey 1% metal films 1 watt. I'll have to kink the terminals slightly to fit them in to the PCB - Naim apparently do this on all their pcb components claiming that it improves sound quality. Not sure how that would work but there will be an explanation no doubt!

Last edited:
I realy like the Takman Rey 1% metal films and used them in my NCC300 build in the 1/2w (500mw) version for all resistors except the signal path where I used the Audio Note tantalum none magnetic type.
In my NCC-200 voyager amps I used 1/2W dale RN55 resistors also excellent.
In all these amps the 0R22 are obviously 2-3W types, same for the output resistor and the Zobel resister where they are expected to handle a bit of current
AFAIK the only reason to use 1W for the majoritity of the reistors in these amps is that the the MFR5 type sound better in the 1W version ?

I have never had a resistor failure in any of my Avondale amps

Alan

I realy like the Takman Rey 1% metal films and used them in my NCC300 build in the 1/2w (500mw) version for all resistors except the signal path where I used the Audio Note tantalum none magnetic type.
In my NCC-200 voyager amps I used 1/2W dale RN55 resistors also excellent.
In all these amps the 0R22 are obviously 2-3W types, same for the output resistor and the Zobel resister where they are expected to handle a bit of current
AFAIK the only reason to use 1W for the majoritity of the reistors in these amps is that the the MFR5 type sound better in the 1W version ?

I have never had a resistor failure in any of my Avondale amps

Alan

Yes, that’s the theory I’m working on anyway, theoretically less noise and better sound. I’ll let you know if that turns out to be the case when I’ve got them up and running. Just finished amp number one. It’s been a while since I built anything like this. I used to build my own amps years ago. I’ve recently retired so have more time on my hands!
Could I ask you which specific resistors are in the signal path, as I’m not entirely sure which ones are truly in the signal path? I will swap them out and get some Audio Note tantalums - I looked at them but they’re quite expensive, less so the 500mW versions.
Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:

advertisement

Back