advertisement

Heads up Ebay "sharp practice" £1 FV fee deal

colasblue

pfm Member
I've just been caught with an unexpected FV fee because my listing had automatically "renewed" after the deal month was up.

There was no clue from ebay that it had actually done that and the cheap FV fee listings all have to be put up as "good till cancelled" or auction. It is hiding in the small print so I can't do anything about it, but if others have also been tempted by the various cheap FV fee deals that have been offered recently and the stuff hasn't sold quickly then be aware that the deal might not still be as good as you expected.

£1? Wow, who would have thought that they wanted all that cash for providing you with a service!
I think you misunderstood the op.
OP - I also got caught the same way.
I presume it was my original APX4 you were selling.

Well technically not selling but yes!

I did successfully sell quite a few high value items and allegedly saved £113 against normal fees. I was just a bit peeved at the way they discretely ended the deal since I actually could have pulled the bike I got caught on and relisted it on a new deal.

There are some I know that don’t pay any fees.

They say to buyer, “come round and pay cash whilst I take the listing down”.

Very naughty. I wouldn’t do that !

I think eBay are at least slightly on the ball over that and repeat offenders can expect trouble!

They certainly scan communications for addresses and 'phone numbers.

I don't mind paying known fees for services but I object to downright sneakiness in dealings which is what Ebay are up to here IMHO.

This happened to me too - my listing was automatically renewed, and I ended up paying an unexpectedly huge fee. But let's be honest, ebay has the reach that other sites do not. I believe one of the emails I received recently from ebay did explicitly point out the dangers of autorenewing, so I suspect quite a few people have been caught by it and complained, which is fair enough. But I don't think it should be enabled by default.

I've used the £1 FV offer on a number of occasions and have no complaints. The fact that the offer only applies for the duration of the listing appeared quite clear to me and it's easy enough to select the option that prevents the listing automatically relisting itself.

eBay is a minefield in many aspects.

For example, what sort of position are you in when a buyer abroad wishes to return a heavy item? The answer: out of pocket, comes to mind.

Other problems include eBay disallowing postage charges over their limit for the item. Nice of them to decide how much you will lose!

I've used the £1 FV offer on a number of occasions and have no complaints. The fact that the offer only applies for the duration of the listing appeared quite clear to me and it's easy enough to select the option that prevents the listing automatically relisting itself.
Do you have to do this for each item you list or is there a way to make this the default for all future listings?

Just been shafted by them myself. Sold an amp, for what I thought was a final fee of £1.00. Found out fee was £55.00. Not pleased. looks like my 30 day buy it now listing, renewed itself a day ago.

The system changed recently (with little fanfare...) so that there is no such thing as a 30 day listing with the option to de-select automatic relist. The 30 day listing that was is now a 'good til cancelled' listing, so automatically renews itself (with the charges the OP is referring to) every 30 days. You just have to remember to end the listing before the end of the first 30 day period to avoid unexpected charges/fees..

TBH I think the £1 FV fees is a pretty generous offer and one that I've used to good effect in the past. I noticed that one of my listings that failed to sell in the initial period got auto relisted, but I let it run and someone eventually bid and it sold so I had some fees to pay. But compared to what I'd already saved on other sales I didn't let it worry me (though it was only a matter of a tenner or so).

As above, you just need to be aware of them auto-relisting and just cancel it if you feel you need to.

What p**** me off about the Bay is that they automatically change a listing to 'offers' after a period of time.

I never sell auction, always 'buy it now' and hardly ever offers.

If I want offers I list it as such.

It's easy enough to change back but I dont need them to make the decision for me.

Bad luck colasblue! Maybe the ps won't sell and you can try again at the next capped FV fee offer.

I've also used the £1 (sometimes £3) FV offer, in fact that's almost the only time I list things of any value.

You can't make it a default setting, you have to be invited to use the offer, and it does only last for the first week.
If your item is automatically relisted you then lose the advantage of the capped FV fee so I always choose to delete the "automatically relist" option.

I've just been caught with an unexpected FV fee because my listing had automatically "renewed" after the deal month was up.

There was no clue from ebay that it had actually done that and the cheap FV fee listings all have to be put up as "good till cancelled" or auction. It is hiding in the small print so I can't do anything about it, but if others have also been tempted by the various cheap FV fee deals that have been offered recently and the stuff hasn't sold quickly then be aware that the deal might not still be as good as you expected.
I posted this a while back:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ebay-sneaky-charges.226833/

Last edited:
The PS and 135s have been pulled from ebay pending the next decent deal.

I'm not putting the 135's on again since there are 6 other pairs. Clearly the low FV deal brought a lot of kit out but but now the buyers are overwhelmed with choice.

I'm very glad the 135's didn't sell after the offer period since that may well have cost the best part of £200.

The things that sold within the month all had £1 FV's

Clearly one to manage better in the future but definitely a shady manoeuvre by ebay dropping the 30 day listing option.

Got hit with £90 advanced fees or something like that for putting a reserve on. It sold, buyer didn’t pay. However, after a very good phone call refunded the £90.

I think eBay are at least slightly on the ball over that and repeat offenders can expect trouble!

They certainly scan communications for addresses and 'phone numbers.

I don't mind paying known fees for services but I object to downright sneakiness in dealings which is what Ebay are up to here IMHO.

They're not checking youtube links or images yet though. Here's one of my yet to be rumbled tricks. A link goes out with every response I send.

I'm going to regret saying this, I bet.

I'm very glad the 135's didn't sell after the offer period since that may well have cost the best part of £200.

There used to be a cap on final value fees of £75 (not on cars though), doesn't this still apply?

Still a lot out of your sale price but at least a finite limit.

advertisement

Back