advertisement

Womens Football Worldcup.

drummerman

pfm Member
Went to a local last night. They usually show all the c**** premier games but had a solo singer guitarist on last night. I was surprised so asked the Manager. His reply was they will only show the England games.

Out of interest my mate and me asked a few women if they knew that the WFWC was on. They didnt.

I am disappointed but what hope is there if even women dont support it ... .

Long, long way to go for women's football.

As an aside I watched an interview on Sky with an ex Womens football agent and she said you could walk through Paris and not even know there was a tournament. That despite the supposedly nearly a million tickets sold ... .

Shame. I love to watch the skill displayed and they seem far more proud to play for their countries than many of the geezers.

I usually end up watching women's football as my partner is sport minded and fairs fair.

I met an Arsenal Women's first team and Wales International player from the early 90's in our local micro, a lovely lady

Bloss

I'm a fan of women's football.

Feels refreshing in that up to now there has been much less talk around the players and games, just getting on with the action, though I can feel that changing as it slowly gains popularity.

To me it's not about the ultimate skill level, more the competition between the two teams. Plus there is almost no play-acting and deceit in the women's game.

Setting aside the money and history in men's football which is bound to make it more popular. Gender doesn't seem to make much difference to the "sport" in basketball, badminton, long distance running etc, but for others like tennis, some of the floor work in gymnastics etc, it seems to change it quite a bit. The men's game has changed a lot over the years, maybe due to investment, nutrition, weight of the ball etc. It's interesting to watch the women's game change too. The standard at all levels has shot up, my 7 year old cousin for example is the only girl in her team at school and she's one of the best. But apparently a lot of teenage girls are reluctant to do any sports in school due to body image (not looking sweaty, smudging make up etc) so that needs to change to open up the gates so to speak.

C'mon get real
Macclesfield Town are better than any of the teams in the WWC

You could make that argument about almost every women’s sport, yet people watch them. Using the same argument you could also ask what’s the point in supporting any team outside of a handful of Premier League teams as the difference in quality between them and the lower divisions is so great.

It was great to watch their energy and to see the thousands and thousands filling the stadium

watching the up and coming Reggae girls team from jamaica is inspiring

Feels refreshing in that up to now there has been much less talk around the players and games, just getting on with the action, though I can feel that changing as it slowly gains popularity.

To me it's not about the ultimate skill level, more the competition between the two teams. Plus there is almost no play-acting and deceit in the women's game.
I really don't like men's football because of the play-acting etc.
As you say, the women's is so much more of a sport.

I came across the Nakeshido (the Japanese women's football team) by accident on YouTube and watched out of curiosity. Some outstanding skills on display there.

Love the comments slagging off the women’s game.

Not football, but I played golf in Florida a couple of years ago with a women’s LPGA pro as part of a charity comp.

The other blokes I played with were much better than me, but her driving and greens in regulation were amazing.

Physique is one thing. Ability is entirely another.

Most women don't know when the games are on? I don't know when men's games are on, so it's hardly a big deal. I watched some of the England Holland game the other night, and Portugal vs whoever. I don't know what those games were about. The fact that some of us just aren't that interested doesn't diminish the enjoyment of other people.

C'mon get real
Macclesfield Town are better than any of the teams in the WWC
It's dull dull dull

No disrespect to the womens game whatsoever but after watching 10 minutes of the Germany v China game it's disrespect to Macclesfield Town to compare them.

I'd say Macclesfield town Under 15's may possibly be a better comparison.

However the mens and womens game should never be compared, two different sports even though it's football and played to the same rules.

Went to a local last night. They usually show all the c**** premier games but had a solo singer guitarist on last night. I was surprised so asked the Manager. His reply was they will only show the England games.

Out of interest my mate and me asked a few women if they knew that the WFWC was on. They didnt.

I am disappointed but what hope is there if even women dont support it ... .

Long, long way to go for women's football.

As an aside I watched an interview on Sky with an ex Womens football agent and she said you could walk through Paris and not even know there was a tournament. That despite the supposedly nearly a million tickets sold ... .

Shame. I love to watch the skill displayed and they seem far more proud to play for their countries than many of the geezers.
I'm a football fan admit not gave womans football much time so was surprised when 18,000 fans turned up to watch Scotland woman's team in a friendly. I will watch Scotland v England tomorrow night. Well you have to don't you :p

There are 2 girls in a team in my son's U14 Sunday league and up to now they haven't looked out of place.

I like the way nobody makes a deal of it and we all just get on with the game.

I watched France last night demolish S. Korea and was impressed by the skill, movement and desire of both teams.
The Germany China game was very entertaining for a World Cup group game and was no better or worse than the men's World Cup group game.
Ok, it isn't as intense or as quick and physical as the men's game but it still is played with passion and ability and these girls have worked exceptionally hard to get to where they are against the odds.
Some of you guys need to be a little more respectful and actually watch a game before you comment.
Well done to the BBC for giving it its full support and inspiring girls to take up the sport.
Hopefully this thread will talk only about the football...
France look the team to beat at the moment, have everything...Germany looked a little nervous and China were unlucky, thought the referee was a little bias towards Germany!

Well done to the BBC for giving it its full support and inspiring girls to take up the sport.

Like every other sport that the BBC show they only show case it because it is all they CAN show case. Sky and BT have bought up everything else .

The BBC go big on all sorts of sports that no on else wants to show. The sheer amount of athletics , marathons, half marathon, fun runs and other assorted paint drying television that the BBC put on is mind numbing.

It extends to other schedule filling items like the Trooping of the Colour which they show every year in spite of it being exactly the same every year... and then they repeat it on another channel .

Last edited:
Like every other sport that the BBC show they only show case it because it is all they CAN show case. Sky and BT have bought up everything else .

The BBC go big on all sorts of sports that no on else wants to show. The sheer amount of athletics , marathons, half marathon, fun runs and other assorted paint drying television that the BBC put on is mind numbing.

It extends to other schedule filling items like the Trooping of the Colour which they show every year in spite of it being exactly the same every year... and then they repeat it on another channel .

Oi! Don't you knock the gender fluid world tiddly winks championship, it's inspiring and brings a tear to my eye, this is what the licence fee is for and what the BBC do best.

Today you get a four hour torture session that is a Triathlon from Leeds. What numpty would want to watch four hours of that on their tv ? What kind of a sad empty life would you have to have to use that to entertain yourself?

Come on ! .. own up ....who are you ? o_O

advertisement

Back