advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no “Labour Brexit” as they have negotiated nothing with the EU, nor are they in a position to deliver anything as they do not have the numbers in the house even with the other progressives (many who would vote against). As such it is not on the table. The only possibilities are:

a) May’s ‘dead unicorn the third’ deal.

b) Crash out without any deal leaving NI in breach of an international peace treaty and the UK without many core economic structures.

c) Revoke A50.

To my mind ‘c’ is the only non-destructive option. The other two clearly make us hugely worse off.

If there is a GE my vote will go for the party most likely to achieve ‘c’, obviously.
Fine.

As Labour is not in a position to deliver a Labour Brexit, I'll await the same response to any post critical of Labour for not stopping brexit altogether, and for not providing a second referendum. Labour isn't in a position to deliver on those things either.

I find it interesting that you believe the EU would not enter into any kind of negotiation with a new UK non-tory govt after a General Election. That doesn't reflect well on the EU if you're right, which I doubt.

Your 'c' is potentially a very destructive option for the UK socially. Trouble can happen here just like anywhere else.

As Labour is not in a position to deliver a Labour Brexit, I'll await the same response to any post critical of Labour for not stopping brexit altogether, and for not providing a second referendum. Labour isn't in a position to deliver on those things either.

Labour is in a position to make a strong pro-remain/pro-second referendum argument, yet has chosen not to. This has cost it hugely in recent elections and will almost certainly lose it a GE.

I find it interesting that you believe the EU would not enter into any kind of negotiation with a new UK non-tory govt after a General Election. That doesn't reflect well on the EU if you're right, which I doubt.

I did not say that. If there is a GE before Brexit I’d obviously expect the EU to negotiate with the winning party or coalition. This is however increasingly unlikely.

I have a tenner at 7/1 on an election this year (I placed the bet just after winning on the outcome of the last general election knowing this is the point everything would turn to shit), but my fear is I’m not going to see it as both main parties know very well they would fail to win one.

More on Mark Harper. Looks like the kind of man who’d offer to knock £600 off the price of a Vauxhall Mireva and throw in a set of mats and an air freshener if you sign now.
His past is more chequered than at first obvious- he has served in Cabinet- he was the man behind the Home Office “Go Home Now” vans, while employing an illegal immigrant to clean his house.

6iseu8.jpg

Excellent Tory leadership material I’d say- an utter hypocrite.

I don’t agree at all. There is just as much difference between Rory Stewart and Esther McVey as there is between Tom Watson and Kate Hoey!

I am increasingly convinced that Rory Stewart joined the Conservatives by accident - maybe after that Iranian wedding pot smoking episode - and has been too embarrassed to admit that he actually meant to join the Lib-Dems.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/03/rory-stewart-interview from few years ago.

2nd half of that article talks about his political views - in what way is that a conservative viewpoint? He's in the wrong party.

2nd half of that article talks about his political views - in what way is that a conservative viewpoint? He's in the wrong party.

The Conservatives historically used to be a fairly broad church in fairness, it is only recently they have gone batshitcrazyTrump. I’d cite Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston as others who never had any business being in this modern toxically hard-right Tory party, as obviously they realised, though they should have defected to the LDs rather than the CUK nonsense. Ken Clarke no longer fits in a party with real nutters like Johnson, Rees Mogg, Raab, McVey etc etc either.

The Conservatives historically used to be a fairly broad church in fairness, it is only recently they have gone batshitcrazyTrump. I’d cite Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston as others who never had any business being in this modern toxically hard-right Tory party, as obviously they realised, though they should have defected to the LDs rather than the CUK nonsense. Ken Clarke no longer fits in a party with real nutters like Johnson, Rees Mogg, Raab, McVey etc etc either.

I was really more thinking about the "conservative" word - advocating huge constitutional change as he is in that article - devolving decision making power down to localities, reducing parliament to 100 MPs, written constitution - is anything but conservative, its utterly radical. Constitutional re-engineering like that has never been advocated from the Conservative party - but Liberals & LDs have been banging that drum for decades.

I was really more thinking about the "conservative" word - advocating huge constitutional change as he is in that article - devolving decision making power down to localities, reducing parliament to 100 MPs, written constitution - is anything but conservative, its utterly radical. Constitutional re-engineering like that has never been advocated from the Conservative party - but Liberals & LDs have been banging that drum for decades.

Agreed, very unusual for a Tory to be arguing for less Westminster trough too!

I am increasingly convinced that Rory Stewart joined the Conservatives by accident - maybe after that Iranian wedding pot smoking episode - and has been too embarrassed to admit that he actually meant to join the Lib-Dems.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/03/rory-stewart-interview from few years ago.

I think he’s been pretty upfront about joining the Tories because they offered the best chance of personal advancement, regardless of their policies - which let’s face it is a very Tory thing to do.

Trump's supporting Boris for the "dream team" (aka worst nightmare). He says that other candidates have asked for his support, but how would you ever know? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48478706
He said: "I actually have studied it very hard. I know the different players. But I think Boris would do a very good job. I think he would be excellent. I like him. I have always liked him.

"I don't know that he is going to be chosen but I think he is a very good guy, a very talented person."

Trump's supporting Boris for the "dream team" (aka worst nightmare). He says that other candidates have asked for his support, but how would you ever know? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48478706
Another prominent Tory, Sir Alan Duncan who worked for Johnson as junior minister at the FCO, went out of his way to tell R4 listeners how unfit Johnson was for office. I liked his account repeated by others, that the job involved following Johnson around with a very large pooper scooper where ever he went. If you’re in any doubt, watch the BBC documentary about the FCO. The facial expressions of officials trailing after Johnson say it all.

I have a tenner at 7/1 on an election this year (I placed the bet just after winning on the outcome of the last general election knowing this is the point everything would turn to shit), but my fear is I’m not going to see it as both main parties know very well they would fail to win one.
If your nerve is failing you can currently lay this at Betfair Exchange @ 5/2, which Excel tells me gives a guaranteed £19.28 profit whatever happens (assuming your original bet was a free one.)

Or of course you could just cash out at the bookies, if they give you that option.

Last edited:
Leadsom is on Marr. Andrea’s pitch is “I will lead Britain to a more compassionate post Brexit world”. She’s going to leave Europe in a “managed exit”, a magical renegotiation of everything- before October. This is a revelation.

Leadsome seems just as batshit crazy as Anne Widdecombe, she just lacks the pantomime comedy and religious bigotry aspect.

Is she doing this as a mother?
She completely backtracked on that when challenged but it’s fair to say she is positioning as Mother Of The Nation now. Like her, The Saj has a 3 point plan. Get out, get out now and stop Corbyn becoming PM. He’s never stopped to draw breath and has a wearisome hectoring, authoritarian style. Fortunately there’s zero risk of him becoming PM.

It's difficult to see how the Tory's can avoid a general election, because whoever takes over from May, is going to have an uphill struggle to get a Brexit deal through parliament, so the only way around it would be to get a bigger majority in the house, but even that doesn't look very likely. As for who will become the new leader, I honestly couldn't give a toss, because they're all as bad as each other.

It's difficult to see how the Tory's can avoid a general election, because whoever takes over from May, is going to have an uphill struggle to get a Brexit deal through parliament, so the only way around it would be to get a bigger majority in the house, but even that doesn't look very likely.

The more I think about it the less I feel there will be a GE. Despite zero policies and a clear history of fraudulence Banks/Farage’s far-right Brexit Party look set at the very least to split what little is left of the Tory vote and there is no way they will choose to put themselves out of office. The fact there are currently no less than 13 people putting themselves forward to be the PM that presided over the destruction of the UK’s economic future proves how utterly deluded and out of touch this party is.

Labour are clearly now at their weakest since the Michael Foot days, but against a hopelessly diminished and fractured Conservative Party split by Farage and Banks covertly financed vacuous far-right Trump/Tea Party clone there is still a very real prospect more seats would go to a progressive coalition even if a Labour majority is well out of reach. The Tories will, as always, place their own short-term interest ahead of taking that gamble. Even so a VoNC is a very interesting prospect as technically I don’t think the Tories/DUP have half the HoC anymore (i.e. a lot of pressure would fall on Allen, Wollaston & Soubry, plus IIRC a couple of others in the Tory party have said they’d bring the government down rather than crash-out without a deal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back