advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously I think the Tory party is about to implode. First its Brexit with a deal, now its Brexit without a deal and Boris Johnson may be in contention for prime minister. Nearly all my life I voted for them,now I am disgusted. They need someone with power to clear up the mess in the Tory party, to get rid of the dead wood, restore some credible order, use any experience from the past and be bold where needed. The Labour party is like a sailing ship in the dead sea where the wind has stopped, and the Brexit Party has been formed because of the utter frustration of non action yet created by misrepresentations of the 2016. The trouble with this country is that there is a little too much democracy for its own good hence the Brexit fiasco....

Seriously I think the Tory party is about to implode. First its Brexit with a deal, now its Brexit without a deal and Boris Johnson may be in contention for prime minister. Nearly all my life I voted for them,now I am disgusted. They need someone with power to clear up the mess in the Tory party, to get rid of the dead wood, restore some credible order, use any experience from the past and be bold where needed. The Labour party is like a sailing ship in the dead sea where the wind has stopped, and the Brexit Party has been formed because of the utter frustration of non action yet created by misrepresentations of the 2016. The trouble with this country is that there is a little too much democracy for its own good hence the Brexit fiasco....

I think you should re-read your post and try again.

I watched a few seconds of The Saj do his pitch. He was sounding suitably presidential, all teeth and shoulders whereas Raab was trying the subterfuge of ‘fightin the burnin injustices’ and cutting taxes for the paups. Fairness I think he called it though I’m pretty sure his concept of fairness is every galley slave has to pull on the oars with equal effort or they go overboard.

Looking in vain for a reason why anyone would apply for this job. It's a poisoned chalice with a big turd floating on the poison.

Boris will win the race to be leader

He will try to somehow put 'No Deal' back in play

Labour will call for a vote of no confidence in the Gov't

Remainer Tory's will vote against the Gov't bringing it down

General election

Bets anyone ?

Looking in vain for a reason why anyone would apply for this job. It's a poisoned chalice with a big turd floating on the poison.
Is it an opportunity for a Corbyn? For example, if someone like Clark could be pushed into standing as the only representative of the centre-right he may well get the nod from the MPs and so long as he was not standing against Johnson his cuddly TV presence may lead him to getting the nod from the little old ladies in the home counties. His age would mean he couldn't last long but if he set his sights on making the best of a bad job with brexit, starting to shift the conservatives towards a more responsible governing party and then stepping down before the next election his time as PM could be positive for both the conservative party and the country (relative to the alternatives). It's not likely but then Corbyn wasn't likely just that the timing fell right for him.

General election

Bets anyone ?

That's what I'm hoping for.

General election

Bets anyone ?
Surely he cannot be so stupid to think he can do this....

One prominent Tory MP was asked this question on R4 yesterday- given the choice, would you bring down your party or bring down the country? He said he would not vote against his own government, so it was party first, country second. Business as usual.

Surely he cannot be so stupid to think he can do this....
I still wonder about Johnson. I posted this on another thread, but got no reaction........

Interesting piece by Matthew Parris in today's Times. He says Johnson is enough of a rascal to rat on Brexit, and might be the only candidate who'd get away with ripping up Article 50 and starting again.

For what it's worth it wouldn't surprise me if he did just that if elected leader. l've never thought Johnson saw Brexit as anything other than a vehicle for his own advancement, and would drop it in a flash if it suited him, and he thought he could get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back