advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+21)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does seem like an overreaction to me - I wasn’t aware that to be in a political party you had to toe the line on every single issue. That’s probably why I’ve always felt adherence to any one would be an peculiar concept to me.

Of course if they had thrown him out just because he’s a tw*t they would have had my full support.

Or you can live in a constituency as I do where the person voted in can resign from the party that they stood for and yet , supposedly , keep representing you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-48037790

That does seem like an overreaction to me - I wasn’t aware that to be in a political party you had to toe the line on every single issue. That’s probably why I’ve always felt adherence to any one would be a peculiar concept to me.

Of course if they had thrown him out just because he’s a tw*t they would have had my full support.
I think boasting about voting for another party on TV constitutes more than just not toeing the line on every single issue. Thousands of ordinary members were expelled before the last leadership contest for admitting on social media to having voted for another party in the past. I'm enjoying the squeals of horror from media pundits at the rules being applied to a famous person. I'm sure it's at least partly a bone thrown to the membership, who are about to spend the next two weeks being vilified as antisemites.

Thousands of ordinary members were expelled before the last leadership contest for admitting on social media to having voted for another party in the past.
Really? Good grief. They probably wouldn’t even consider allowing my membership then. Sounds a bit McCarthy-esque to me.

What’s the rule? Is it ‘you must not vote for another party’, or ‘you must not tell anyone if you have voted for another party?’

I think boasting about voting for another party on TV constitutes more than just not toeing the line on every single issue. Thousands of ordinary members were expelled before the last leadership contest for admitting on social media to having voted for another party in the past. I'm enjoying the squeals of horror from media pundits at the rules being applied to a famous person. I'm sure it's at least partly a bone thrown to the membership, who are about to spend the next two weeks being vilified as antisemites.

Don't forget those expulsions were mainly down to McNicol and Watson as part of their efforts to get rid of Corbyn supporters. Part of the ongoing attempted coup. Quite a lot of returning members had expressed their disgust with Blair at the ballot box.

Bercow says that parliament can block a no deal. But ...

“He highlighted the fact that while leaving the EU without a deal is
the legal default: “There is a difference between a legal default position and what the interplay of different political forces in parliament will facilitate.”

Well, as I see it a new PM would have all the political forces required if they really want no deal. They can go to the EU, try for a change, fail and just let the clock run out. If Bercow had any actual way to stop them he would have said.

Stephen

They’re going to have to expel a lot of members then.

According to Sky News earlier some Labour MEPs received thousands of emails from Labour members explaining in advance they were planning to ‘do a Campbell’. So yes, if this idiotic tribalism is policed, then it needs to be policed consistently.

Thank you all for your continued interest in the internal disciplinary codes of an organisation to which you don't belong and consider to be outmoded and irrelevant.

Jess Philips is not impressed with the way Labour has dealt with Campbell. “He was expelled quicker than a man who threatened to kill me, quicker than a man in my CLP who denied the Holocaust, both are only still suspended.” Then there is the anti-semitism issue.

Thank you all for your continued interest in the internal disciplinary codes of an organisation to which you don't belong and consider to be outmoded and irrelevant.

I’m not a member. I’d be expelled if I was as I’ve often voted Green locally when Labour here have behaved in a cavalier fashion.

However I am a supporter at national level and am concerned that this expulsion will mean that many who normally vote for the party will not return now. They apparently would not be welcome as members.

Corbyn needs all the votes he can get, including those whose political views align with Campbell’s

I wonder if Labour will publish current membership numbers in the near future?

Stephen

Thank you for doing so well on the second referendum and antiSemitism issue. The British public appreciate it. This is why the majority of them didn't bother to vote Labour in the European Election.

Jack

Seems a bit odd though that you're happy to defend a set of rules that expels a member when they express their dissatisfaction with the party through legitimate means (like the ballot box) but only suspends when they threaten to kill a fellow party member. (https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1133339190370996224)

[edit]

Or is it all OK because the person ejected and the person threatened haven't drunk the Corbyn Kool-aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back