advertisement

Everest

Nor do I, and I'm a mountaineer. There are any number of routes up any number of mountains that I'd like to climb before Everest. Then again I'm more interested in the route than the peak bagging.

Now there’s a man who’s doing things for himself not for what he can boast to others about.

Used to have a colleague who would proclaim that they visited a town for the day and “made sure they went somewhere for lunch, so they could say they’d done something there”.

Did I read somewhere that a permit to climb Everest costs £8500?
No pressure to succeed/deliver then...

Given the big queue of people at Hillary's Step, it is difficult to understand why anybody would bother to climb Everest now.

Jack

As someone who has spent a life in the mountains i just don’t get it. Are these people climbers?
It’s a nonsense, other people carry all the kit, put up the tents, plan the route, rope them over the hard bits, make the safety decisions (which is why we have that ridiculous queue) then they are all in oxygen masks because really it's too hard for them. What for? Just to be able to say they have climbed Everest.

There’s this thing. Living in Cumbria I often go to some beautiful remote place and there I find a disposable barbecue that has burned a square in the grass, some cans and other crap. You think ‘you must know this is a beautiful place because you chose to come here, so why have you ****ed it up?’ This is the same at 11K a pop.

advertisement

Back