advertisement

Wine in boxes

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
Not tried this for many a moon, and from memory was not overly pleasant.

We prefer red or a dry white, no Rose', Chardonnay, Pinot noir, Merlot suggestions please, unless spectacular if poss.

As a rule we usually spend around 12-20 pounds per bottle.

Cheers

Bloss

I bought a 2 or 3 bottle (can't remember) stand up pouch wine the other day for a 21st party. Worked really well. Got it from Tesco. We used the Pinot Grigio variety, although it was Hungarian IIRC. Well - it all went - and no the party was not full of 21 yr olds! - it was mostly a middle aged family crowd. Took up less space than the box type.

Mind you it was not in the 12-20 a bottle range. Not sure I have seen a box in that price range. In theory it should work well - but I guess boxing or bagging is only going to work for big-selling populist wines - and those are not £20 a bottle!

the devils work, easy to drink a lot more than you intended

I find quite the opposite.

It's convenient to have only a glass and a half or so knowing that the rest will not deteriorate.

I like to bring boxes of merlot home from a french supermarket but can't in all conscience suggest it meets the OP's briefo_O

Jim

The boxes don't generally have wine in that price range, it tends to be decent enough fiver a bottle stuff. Nothing special but decent party fodder.

Thanks all, thought I was expecting too much.

The reason for the thread was to try a wine box, instead of opening a bottle and using the vacuum stopper which is barely good enough.
I was hoping to cut down and also as I believe the wine in boxes do keep longer.

I will try the Waitrose one as suggested by Rug Doc which should suffice as a Mon-Thursday tipple. All part of the Mediterranean Diet a glass or two a day:)

Bloss

Some places have started doing 50cl bottles if that helps; we're currently on a Barossa Ink as i'm weaning myself back onto red.

That's only two glasses so easy enough to finish.

Boxes are great for festivals, we budget on one a day plus a few cider top ups.

Thanks all, thought I was expecting too much.

The reason for the thread was to try a wine box, instead of opening a bottle and using the vacuum stopper which is barely good enough.
I was hoping to cut down and also as I believe the wine in boxes do keep longer.

I will try the Waitrose one as suggested by Rug Doc which should suffice as a Mon-Thursday tipple. All part of the Mediterranean Diet a glass or two a day:)

Bloss

you can of course, "pour" wine without removing the cork.

https://www.coravin.co.uk/shop.html?type_of_product=12

doesn't work with screwcaps or plastic bungs though

Some places have started doing 50cl bottles if that helps; we're currently on a Barossa Ink as i'm weaning myself back onto red.

I often look at these bottles, time to think about trying some.

Bloss

My wife doesn't drink so if I open a bottle of wine on a weekday evening much of it will get poured away as I'd rarely drink a whole bottle. The small bottles are a good option, I just wish there was a bit more choice.

advertisement

Back