advertisement

£400 television for elderly lady

Nic Robinson

As above really. Can you recommend something suitable? Her sight is not great and health poor. It’s principally so she can enjoy Wimbledon (possibly last time) so good clear and bright picture is the order of the day.

Thanks,

Nic.

I recently bought a second hand telly on here for loose change, it's great. Used TVs are at "can't give them away" prices now. What used to be enormous screens are now routine, and £100 gets you a huge choice of great TVs that will see her out.

How big a screen were you thinking? Freestanding or wall mounted.

I like Samsung for TV's these although have been happy with the LG's we've had in the past. The latest TV I bought was a 32" curved Samsung one (under £300 via Amazon) and it's a nice TV so perhaps a bigger version of that.

Hitachi tvs seem to get good reviews. I was thinking of this one myself - Hitachi 50" 4K Smart TV

EDIT: It looks like all the tvs get good reviews at Argos. Maybe because they've imnproved so much over the years that there's not much difference?

I haven't seen a bad TV anywhere in recent years.

Agreed. We bought the cheapest 40" sony when we moved to the UK - I think £250 - and it looked great and worked well. We then bough the cheapest 40" sony when we moved back to the US ($250 - they were clearing non-smart 40" LCDs) and it is also great. Why spend more ?

Not sure that Hitachi get good reviews in general these days. Even Sony Bravias are criticised now.

It is all about Samsung everywhere.

sound is also important in the elderly , i find the sony bravia rather good in that respect . we bought a LG smart tv for my mum and it had rather a complicated remote . sony remotes are fairly simple affairs which is important

Can I just add that usability ought to be factor here. Most TVs are really good for the money, but most TVs now are "smart" and give you a huge menu of options and online services that she probably won't want or need*. I find it particularly annoying. Gone are the days when you can just turn a TV on to a channel.

*Apologies if I've made some assumptions here, the OP did just ask about watching TV, I presume off-air.

I was going to chip in and suggest that the remote ought to be nice and clear to use as well - my dad found the Panasonic remote fairly easy to use...

£400 buys quite a lot of TV these days. You’ll pick a 55” 4K model up any day of the week from about £350. Check out any Tesco, B&M or Currys if you want a choice of models at your price point. Currys have a Panasonic and an LG at £399 and I’d be tempted by either of those.

I'd agree with the point on speakers - check the sound is nice and clear - I got my Mum a Sony 40" a while back....great picture but the sound's not great and was a big step down from their old CRT set.

Yeah it is a problem. And do not think that a cheaper tele with a sound bar would help - they the very devil to confuse older folk with and yet there is yet another remote control to learn/lose. A tele set up with an (active) external speaker(s) added on would be much easier than an HDMI sound bar.

advertisement

Back