advertisement

Teddy Pardo 555DRPS Killer

Wondering what pent-up demand is out there for a Teddy Pardo power Supply that is a direct replacement, in terms of performance, for the Naim 555DRPS?

I guess it is rather unlikely that any PS would be a "direct replacement in terms of performance" -- unless one has a rather loose definition of "direct" and "performance"...

Well it appears there is a concensus that the Teddy XPS is an improvement on the the Naim XPS with a smaller footprint, no hum and well.....the cost!

To my ears the T-Dac is way ahead of the nDac at less than half the price.

So there is a track record emerging.....

Well it appears there is a concensus that the Teddy XPS is an improvement on the the Naim XPS with a smaller footprint, no hum and well.....the cost!

To my ears the T-Dac is way ahead of the nDac at less than half the price.

So there is a track record emerging.....
In my experience the above applies also to his Teddycap mk2 and mk3

Already exists. Used to use a naim 555, sold it and replaced with a chc, new cost is about 30%, comfortably beat it. Casework has a very nice too, but admit, doesn’t look quite as nice as the naim. But that isn’t worth £4K or so to me

Stand on me; there will never be an 'overwhelming demand' for a power supply for a bit of hifi kit. A subset of a subset of a very niche market

Not so sure as to whether this consensus actually exists -- improvement in sound? Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Admittedly, on the issue of price, you present an objective observation -- Teddy is cheaper...

Already exists. Used to use a naim 555, sold it and replaced with a chc, new cost is about 30%, comfortably beat it. Casework has a very nice too, but admit, doesn’t look quite as nice as the naim. But that isn’t worth £4K or so to me

Interesting Paul. I have purchased power supply cables from Sean (CHC) in the past with great success. Sean is also a very nice chap to deal with.

Would be very interested in your detailed review of the CHC. Pity it is not as compact as a TP but perhaps that is not possible given the performance requirements?

Interesting Paul. I have purchased power supply cables from Sean (CHC) in the past with great success. Sean is also a very nice chap to deal with.

Would be very interested in your detailed review of the CHC. Pity it is not as compact as a TP but perhaps that is not possible given the performance requirements?

The naim had the edge with what you’d expect. Prat. A forward faster sounding mid. Attack on the leading edges. What you expect from what naim typically do to alter the sound. The chc beat it in every other way. Lower distortion, deeper bass, more open in top end and mids. But does it in a very similar sounding way to naim, a lot closer to their signature than TP, which seems to split opinion more, some say the TP is different rather than better

The naim had the edge with what you’d expect. Prat. A forward faster sounding mid. Attack on the leading edges. What you expect from what naim typically do to alter the sound. The chc beat it in every other way. Lower distortion, deeper bass, more open in top end and mids. But does it in a very similar sounding way to naim, a lot closer to their signature than TP, which seems to split opinion more, some say the TP is different rather than better

Thanks Paul very interesting, indeed. May have to consider a CHC 14 day trial offered by Sean. TP different or better? Valid point....T_Dac better than nDac imo but then its only an opinion. T-XPS @15% of Naim 555PS appears a rather good roi to my wallet/ears;-)

I have a chc555 and its a great piece of kit, tried it against my mates naim 555 on my NDS and the difference between them both is very small.
We both preferred the chc and with the price difference its a bargin.
I have just swapped the case on my chc555 into a naim olive 180 case, so it matches my 52 and 250 amps

I have a chc555 and its a great piece of kit, tried it against my mates naim 555 on my NDS and the difference between them both is very small.
We both preferred the chc and with the price difference its a bargin.
I have just swapped the case on my chc555 into a naim olive 180 case, so it matches my 52 and 250 amps

Interesting feedback on the CHC. Did you go for the capacitor upgrade? Note that CHC are now offering a 30 day trial, which is very generous.

Yes had the mundorf capacitors, other good thing about the chc is the lack of service that it needs over the naim, so even more money saved

So much so my mate is thinking about selling his naim 555 and getting 2 x chc555 to run his NDS. But we tried running both off the 555's on my NDS both ways round and if i didnt know it i wouldn't have known, may be my ears are to old to hear the difference but i wont be added an extra 555 any time soon

I guess it is rather unlikely that any PS would be a "direct replacement in terms of performance" -- unless one has a rather loose definition of "direct" and "performance"...
I'm confident that any competent engineer can design "a direct replacement in terms of performance". What he can't do is address the buyer satisfaction that comes from buying the one with the right badge and the reassurance that you bought the best because you have a couple of thousand reasons to know it's the best and a credit card slip to prove it.

Edit: Seven thousand reasons. 7000. Jog on.

As others have said, you are into near one-off pricing here because the demand is so vanishingly low. It really is aimed at the bleeding edge of well-heeled hifi enthusiuasts and Naim aficionados in particular. It still won't be cheap, and when you've got that you have a mismatching case and that niggling fear that maybe, just maybe, the "real thing" might be a scintilla better.

I'm confident that any competent engineer can design "a direct replacement in terms of performance". What he can't do is address the buyer satisfaction that comes from buying the one with the right badge and the reassurance that you bought the best because you have a couple of thousand reasons to know it's the best and a credit card slip to prove it.

Edit: Seven thousand reasons. 7000. Jog on.

As others have said, you are into near one-off pricing here because the demand is so vanishingly low. It really is aimed at the bleeding edge of well-heeled hifi enthusiuasts and Naim aficionados in particular. It still won't be cheap, and when you've got that you have a mismatching case and that niggling fear that maybe, just maybe, the "real thing" might be a scintilla better.

That is an interesting perspective. Personally I could not care less about buying the right badge. The TP units look good and keep the size of my rack down to reasonable proportions. Don"t get me wrong, I love the NAC552 and NDS but there other Naim black boxes such as the nDac that just do not cut it musically and are vastly overpriced compared to alternatives imo.
Power Supplies are subjective but if I can save 85% and to my ears get better performance from my system, what is not to like?
If TP released a 555PS replacement I would be first in the que, especially if he could retain the small footprint and like for like performance level of the T-XPS. Meanwhile as @Hound and @Paul Burke have indicated CHC offers a viable alternative at a price that at the least deserves a 30day trial. Not all Naim owners have bottomless resources and compromises have to be made.
P.S. recently previewed the Naim signature system which was visually ott and to my ears sounded mediocre. A system for footballers!

It would be nice to reduce the black box count by going active on a cost neutral basis. Just not completely convinced by the bottom end on the ATC40a. This may be a room issue as the 40"s need space to breath.

advertisement

Back