advertisement

Rega P8 or Technics SL1200G

Technics SL1200G or Rega Planar 8

• Technics

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Rega

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
I posted a comparison between a Rega Planar 2 and a Technics SL-1200 some time ago on the Steve Hoffman forum. Most preferred the Rega. The newer Technics would have to be a whole lot better than the original for it to be close to a newer Rega.

I went from a P5 to my 1210GR. No competition.

If you want british & world class would add this one recently launched at munich

image.php

It wouldn’t be Munich without some turntables but the good news is that while some of them (as we shall cover) were very spendy indeed, one of the most interesting was pretty terrestrially priced. The Vertere Dynamic Groove is the most affordable turntable that the company has ever designed and to achieve the performance in mind, it has approached a number of design aspects with a completely fresh outlook. The result is a turntable that costs £2,850 with a cartridge (by comparison, ticking all the boxes on a ‘big’ Vertere takes you well into six figures) and looks absolutely brilliant. A quick demonstration suggested that this is going to be a very important turntable indeed.

So what's the difference between the SL1200G and the old skool SL1210 MkII sound quality wise then??
When I was in Doug Brady's last week we were chatting about the differences and they said one of their customers had a pair of the limited edition gold plated old 1210s. He bought a GR "just because", and then came back for another one as he said the sound quality was way better than the older decks. Both those old decks are apparently now sold. The G is apparently another step up again. I resisted the temptation to even look at it.

I recently moved from a fairly modded SL-1210 (Jelco 750, PSU, SDS mat, Isonoes) to the P8, and the P8 is a significant step up in all departments aside from perhaps the Techie edging it very slightly on speed stability. The timbre and micro-dynamics the Rega can resolve compared to the Technics is uncanny.

There is no comparison, the 1200G sounds more like an SP10.

This! I’ve owned an SP10 mk2, Garrard 301s and 401s, and am perfectly happy with the 1200G. Fuss free, just gets on with it. A pity they styled it after the 1200 really, as it's a completely new design entirely, yet many can’t seem to look beyond the visual similarities. Definitely up there with the afore mentioned decks.
The only I don’t like is the blue LEDs! Red would have been so much better.

Neither would be on my list, but if you put a gun to my head then I'd probably have to pick the Technics.

I haven’t tried real high end stuff like Rega, so only have budget crap like Brinkmann/Koetsu and LP12/Breuer/Koetsu for comparison but my 1200G ain’t going nowhere. Now where’s that hoodie...

I haven’t tried real high end stuff like Rega, so only have budget crap like Brinkmann/Koetsu and LP12/Breuer/Koetsu for comparison but my 1200G ain’t going nowhere. Now where’s that hoodie...

I wonder what the wonderful Breuer arm would sound like on a 1200G?

The Technics arm is just fine and seems to suit the deck well. I’ve had the various Ortofon things in it but with a Dynavector coil it really started to shine and it is killer with 12inch 45s. I’ll get hold of a Hanna at some point which people seem to like a lot in this deck.

Although the 1200G arm is perfectly fine, it can be made magnificent with $169 for the KAB 1000 Fluid Damper.

Its very easy to fit and completely reversible. I was considering replacing the perfectly good 1200G arm with something like a Jelco 850 or even an SME IV - but if either of these had given me half the improvement the damper has given, I would have been very pleased - but much poorer!

I posted a comparison between a Rega Planar 2 and a Technics SL-1200 some time ago on the Steve Hoffman forum. Most preferred the Rega. The newer Technics would have to be a whole lot better than the original for it to be close to a newer Rega.

Can you provide a link?

Were identical arms and cartridges used?

advertisement

Back