Technics SL1200G or Rega Planar 8

• Technics

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Rega

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters

Konteebos

Surfing on the lake of fire
Right. I'm hopeless at making decisions and I don't see any way of organising a local demonstration to listen to both of these so which would you choose?
I've spent a long time whittling my choice down to these two, the Technics is more expensive, but Doug Brady have them at £2299 currently and if I buy a cheaper cartridge on that it would narrow the gap.

I have had a number of Rega decks - not as good as the RP8 granted. The highest I got was the P6. Also had a Linn LP12 and various Projects.

As much as I like the Rega house sound the Technics 1200G I have now blows every turntable I have ever owned away. It is also built to withstand a direct hit by a cruise missile. For years I had been put off by the DJ looks - what a mistake that was!

My recent dilemma was a notch down - P6 or 1210GR. Again, I couldn't demo both or either. Ended up going with the 1210 as it's all in one box, rock solid, easy vta adjustment, easy to swap carts on multiple headshells - just really flexible. Doesn't look as nice but thus far very pleased with the decision, and the vta adjustment has come in handy already. Not played with the torque settings yet - there's another nervosa avenue to travel down...

I'd be inclined to say the sl1200 is the superior table. Specs wise, rumble and noise are beyond good enough on both for the medium, though I'd guess the Technics edges it on speed stability.

Also, the Technics design is largely proven in the long term. They essentially got it right with the 1200, and it's now in a very refined iteration. Relatively speaking, It was no small feat of engineering investment and execution. To me, it's arguably all the turntable anyone might ever need by most metrics.

Go for the Rega if you fancy the looks. I doubt you'd be disappointed too.

It is also built to withstand a direct hit by a cruise missile. For years I had been put off by the DJ looks - what a mistake that was!

Must have sold around a thousand 1210's and I don't recall a single one coming back with any issue :cool:

Whereas on the other hand 1, 2, and so on :(

I love Rega products and you would be supporting a UK company and their back up is superb. Now I have said that, having recently experienced what a large Japanese corporation can do if they wish, in this case Yamaha, I suspect the Technics offering is the one to go for.

However, that sort of money will buy you a very impressive 2nd hand deck; if you want to keep it British try Nottingham Analogue or if Trump hasn't put you off all things American try Well Tempered (although they are made in China).

I love Rega products and you would be supporting a UK company and their back up is superb. Now I have said that, having recently experienced what a large Japanese corporation can do if they wish, in this case Yamaha, I suspect the Technics offering is the one to go for.

However, that sort of money will buy you a very impressive 2nd hand deck; if you want to keep it British try Nottingham Analogue or if Trump hasn't put you off all things American try Well Tempered (although they are made in China).

I did consider NA and the Well Tempered Simplex, but they were both rejected. I want something that my wife and kids can use and I wouldn't be happy asking them to help spin up the NA or manually cue the Simplex. Plus, while I recognise that the Simplex has impressed many people with its sound quality, to me it looks like something made on Blue Peter!

A lot of kerfuffle over at SHF about warped or misaligned platters on the G - some horrendous looking videos posted. The GR seems to be immune.

A lot of kerfuffle over at SHF about warped or misaligned platters on the G - some horrendous looking videos posted. The GR seems to be immune.
Yes, I saw that - maybe something to do with the different expansion rates of brass and aluminium on the G models.

Yes, I saw that - maybe something to do with the different expansion rates of brass and aluminium on the G models.

I did make me relieved I'd plumped for the GR after a few weeks agonizing over whether to find the extra £££ for the G. Couldn't live with the wonky platter in some of those videos.

I posted a comparison between a Rega Planar 2 and a Technics SL-1200 some time ago on the Steve Hoffman forum. Most preferred the Rega. The newer Technics would have to be a whole lot better than the original for it to be close to a newer Rega.

I posted a comparison between a Rega Planar 2 and a Technics SL-1200 some time ago on the Steve Hoffman forum. Most preferred the Rega. The newer Technics would have to be a whole lot better than the original for it to be close to a newer Rega.
The only part in common between the SL1200G and the SL-1200 is the cover, everything else is completely different...

advertisement

Back