advertisement

Optical Toslink Cable suggestion

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Hello there,
which optical toslink cable do you suggest between my Yamaha WXC-50 digital streamer and my DAC?

I'm thinking about Audioquest Pearl/Forest or Qed Performance.

Other suggestions?

Many thanks.
Mauro

My friendly dealer Tony who has sold me enough Coherent mains cables and interconnects told me a cheapo Toslink would be fine feeding into my TAD Pre/CD/DAC

Sounds good to me.
Comparing to a Mark Grant Coax from Pi to TAD (using either) the Toslink sounded better.
On Ebay for about a quid

My friendly dealer Tony who has sold me enough Coherent mains cables and interconnects told me a cheapo Toslink would be fine feeding into my TAD Pre/CD/DAC

Sounds good to me.
Comparing to a Mark Grant Coax from Pi to TAD (using either) the Toslink sounded better.
On Ebay for about a quid

So which Toslink did you use?

I'm using all 3 toslink inputs on my Linn Akurate Kontrol and 'something cheap from e bay' is plugged into all of them and they all sound fine. If you want to pay more, go for it.

Toslink is quite a poor standard, and one issue that is common is a poor fit between plug and socket, so that they can work loose. If the cable is very stiff, that sometimes makes this problem worse. So I would choose a cable that feels like it has a secure fit at both ends, and buy from a supplier who will allow you to return it for a refund if it doesn't fit well.

Toslink is quite a poor standard, and one issue that is common is a poor fit between plug and socket, so that they can work loose. If the cable is very stiff, that sometimes makes this problem worse. So I would choose a cable that feels like it has a secure fit at both ends, and buy from a supplier who will allow you to return it for a refund if it doesn't fit well.
The fit on mine is much too tight. Cable thin and floppy
Hopefully the next one will be an easier fit

I use Wireworld’s Supernova 7 which uses Borosilicate glass fiber optic conductors and have been very impressed with its performance.

That's a lot to pay just for a good fit. :eek:
I agree and I wouldn't pay for the fit of a cable either . I was just impressed with the sound having first started off with an optical cable from Cambridge Audio and then was given the Wireworld to audition a year later, I was sold after hearing it. I just lucked out that it fits securely.:)

Last edited:
I recently used a QED Performance Graphite Toslink and found it difficult to tell any difference between it and a Chord Clearway Coaxial in A/B comparison. I preferred living with the Chord ultimately, but it's 2 1/2 times the price. The QED is impressive.

advertisement

Back