advertisement

Soft Cell - The art of falling apart

Frankiesays

Rats is life.
Have loved this LP for a few years since hearing it on Spotify, but today recieved the original vinyl LP in superb condition. From 1982 it is a stunning relic of the era, the last bout of post punk inventiveness, well, mainstream wise anyway. It came with a freebie 12" of Martin - whose flipside is the awesome 'Hendrix melody', Soft Cell segue 3 classic Hendrix tracks, with a grunty synth firmly placing the music, offset by plinky plonky high notes, add in some psychedelic electronic splurts, and you have a match for the headiness of the originals. The LP is an incredibly good quality pressing, and wee wees all over the Streamed versions I've been hearing. The LP revels in seediness yet the music has real soul and depth. I can't think of another act from that era whose music I enjoy more. The packaging is also of the highest quality, the images I'd seen on Spotify and Youtube are realised in beautiful lucid glossy covers, both outer and 2 inner sleeves. Only wished I'd discovered this music earlier in life, its hedonism is irresistible.

Soft cell were the first band I saw live, and this album is a classic.
Enjoy!
Ps Marc is paying in Norwich next weekend at an 80’s revival gig, looking forward to seeing him

Fantastic album, and at the time it felt a million miles from Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret.

You should try and see the film 'Martin' which I believe the 12" tune is about. It is not for the squeamish.

Last Night.. In Sodom is not as good in my opinion.

I bet the glue on the seams of Art of Falling Apart is coming loose. Every copy I have seen has this issue.

I looked up the value of my original pristine Soft Cell 12" singles and found... that they are worth a massive £1.50! Ah well....
I love "Non stop Erotic Caberet". Will have to see if I have "The art of Falling Apart"

Edit: Googling brought up a pic of the sleeve and IIRC I have it on vinyl but recall not liking it.

Fantastic album, and at the time it felt a million miles from Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret.

You should try and see the film 'Martin' which I believe the 12" tune is about. It is not for the squeamish.

Last Night.. In Sodom is not as good in my opinion.
That one is waiting in the post office for me. Its not as good, but still worth getting. I think what makes Soft Cell tracks so listenable is the obvious soul influence. Tainted Love for me is one of the most memorable song of the 80s along with Bowies Ashes to ashes.

That one is waiting in the post office for me. Its not as good, but still worth getting. I think what makes Soft Cell tracks so listenable is the obvious soul influence. Tainted Love for me is one of the most memorable song of the 80s along with Bowies Ashes to ashes.

"Bedsitter" too for me.

Just got Last night in sodom, vinyl once again pristine, cover ok, bargain at only £7 posted. It's another tremendous LP that I can't stop playing. Darker and rockier than previous material, but contains some gems, 'Meet murder my angel' being one of them.

Finally replaced my U.K. issue (the one with the bonus 12") my copy got pinched a while ago.

I replaced it with this >

Soft Cell ‎– The Art Of Falling Apart
Label:
Mercury ‎– 73145582662, Some Bizarre Records ‎– 73145582662
Format:
CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
Brazil
Released:
Genre:
Electronic

but I had ordered it from Amazon (£4.79) - the first time I think that some has been cheaper on Amazon than Discogs.

Also, it is a Brazilian issue ! (not stated on amazon)

This >

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00000B94X/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Playing it now and the sound quality is good. Listening to this is taking me straight back to 1983 when I first had a copy. Fantastic, the time travel facility of music memory is startling sometimes.

Good start to Monday morning :cool:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I looked up the value of my original pristine Soft Cell 12" singles and found... that they are worth a massive £1.50! Ah well....
I love "Non stop Erotic Caberet". Will have to see if I have "The art of Falling Apart"

Edit: Googling brought up a pic of the sleeve and IIRC I have it on vinyl but recall not liking it.

I think I read that Tainted Love was (nearly?) the world-wide biggest selling single of the decade.

advertisement

Back