advertisement

Quadrophonic dbx vinyl

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
Are there many of these about?

I picked up a copy of Mendelssohn's Pictures at an exhibition for 10p a few years ago in the bargain bin at a now-gone Music & Video Exchange. Which turned out not to be such a stellar bargain as I then bought a dbx disc cassette deck to play it through. Then another better deck.

Sounds absolutely gorgeous though - the eerie sensation of dropping the stylus down and hearing nothing til the music starts. Would like some more but they seem about as common as hen's teeth.

I had a whole pile of them I landed from a car boot decades ago, must have been 9 or 10 of them. I found them almost impossible to shift as they need a decoder which no one has! IIRC I ended up selling them as a job. I can’t even remember what titles I had, but a mix of classical and rock/pop. I’ve never heard the system working, it would have been interesting to.

PS I assume you mean Mussorgsky’s Pictures? I’m pretty sure there was a copy of that in my pile!

No, Mussorsky was right mid for Red Star Belgrade wasn't he?

Sorry, I do yes. Even searched discogs before posting but still got it wrong.

After some help on the Tapeheads forum I ended up picking up an old Technics tape deck locally that has dbx disc encoding and first played it through that. Really very impressive - digitalesque noise floor and no noticeable effect on sound quality to my ears. Not that I'm any classical authority but the silence on the lead in track was beguiling.

Would like to hear something I'm more familiar with too to compare but I can't recall seeing any non-classical titles since. I guess as you found, they are unplayable for the vast majority of us.

Anyone got a quadrophonic system these days?

There’s a list on Discogs here. I definitely recognise the sleeve of the Mussorgsky and a few other classical, plus I think the Rita Coolidge, Heart and Supertramp were in my car boot pile. Annoyingly I notice that last one goes for decent cash now!

It would be easy enough to un-DBX in the digital domain. FWIW.

Did they really mix DBX with any form of quadrophonics?

Nice list, ta.

Iggy was a surprise. Frampton less so.

Bet the collection would fetch a bit. Wonder what the print runs of these were.

Cheers, interesting vid

Shame he didn't mention tape decks can do the job too, with the added benefit of having dbx tape available in addition to Dolby when recording, albeit that you can't have dbx disc and tape on at the same time

advertisement

Back