advertisement

Jeff Koons' $91M Rabbit

vuk

\o/ choose anarchy
would you display this in your house?

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/jeff-koons-rabbit-auction-record/index.html

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190516092625-jeff-koons-rabbit-1.jpg

Infinitely more distasteful than the sculpture is that $91M could probably have saved the lives of thousands of people in 3rd world countries without health provision such as Africa and USA .... Bring on that giant asteroid...

Nearly accepted a job as a project manager in a firm in Los Angeles fabricating those! (Among others) ... kind of regret not taking the offer.

I've seen it in the flesh, it's a remarkable thing. Unreal that its metal. But that much money, tsssk.

The ears look like inflatable dinghies

Quite glad that I just don't get most of what passes for modern art. A pickled half cow, a tent with blokes' names on? Crocks of shit.

Which I'm now going to market as an existential commentary on the wasteful society in which we live

Quite glad that I just don't get most of what passes for modern art. A pickled half cow, a tent with blokes' names on? Crocks of shit.

Conceptual art is not my favourite art form (I far prefer mid-century abstract expressionism etc), but to my mind Tracy Emin (tent etc) has a lot more to her than the pure consumerism of Koons, Hirst etc. There is a real rawness and bravery to her work, she lays herself absolutely bare and I’m in little doubt she’s the real deal. I’ve also a lot of time for Anthony Gormley, Jeremy Deller, Cornelia Parker and a few others. Koons and Hirst are lightweights IMHO; art as a Thatcherite free-market commodity/trinket for multi-£bn pound corporations or Russian gangsters, which is a pretty lame message for allegedly conceptual art!

Hirst had an exhibition of Koon's work in his Newport Street gallery a few years ago. It was brilliant! https://www.newportstreetgallery.com/exhibition/jeff-koons-now/ From the early basketball / vacuum cleaner sculptures to the graphic Cicciolina photos to the 'looks like it's an inflatable but no its made of metal sculptures'. I went to Bilbao about 20 years ago and the 50 foot tall Puppy work outside the Guggenheim was something else!

No, I'd have a Giacometti instead. If that's over budget, I'd make a replica, oh sorry "homage" in papier mache , and if I like the results I'll get it cast in bronze. Probably still have 90,999,000 change or so.

It's shit. If it were 2" tall and made of plastic you'd think "Oh, a small shit plastic thing". But because it's big and made of shiny steel somehow it qualifies as art.
People who buy this crap need composting :);)

Oh please don't start on the,'oh it needs to be X before it's art and because it's Y it isn't art'. I didn't buy a few Banksy canvases in 2002 because they were, well, just stencils on canvas. Going for the £350 each. Ouucch!
Fortunately I redeemed my mistakes and have a relatively healthy collection of his work.
Art is of course what you don't think it could or should be. Long may that continue!

advertisement

Back