advertisement

£3,500 budget...what would you change?

Moppit

pfm Member
So I want maximum bang for my budget, digital only please. Your thoughts and suggestions most welcome as I have some time to demo..

Current digital side...

Allo Digione (Volumio)..music on a NAS, Radio Paradise, Spotify, may go to Qobuz
Chord 2Qute
Tisbury pre
Quad QMP
Kef Reference 2 circa mid 90's vintage (love the scale but lack detail )

Also still got a Nait XS which may go into a second system or sold.

Room size is 4 x 5 M, I tend to listen at low to mid volumes. Volume remote is essential for the new set up.

For me two obvious steps are try a hugo2 direct into the Quad, replace the Kefs with say R5's, or Proac DT8? Other thoughts?

Alternatively, used stuff is very much of interest but demos are always the problem. I could keep the 2qute and look at alternative pre's. The XS works as a pre into the Quad but it seems an untidy long term solution and I want sonic improvement over the Nait pre.

Put it all, well most of it, into the speakers. You have a well sorted digital front end, amp etc. In a room that size good standmounts will easily energise the room and offer much better bang for buck.

I was going to say get yourself down to the Cranage show in a few weeks to hear some kit, but it's a bit of a hike for you. Maybe an excuse for a weekend trip up north though.

Upgrading your speakers will easily give you the best bang for your buck. I would suggest:

1. Get a linear power supply for the Allo DigiOne. You can get one for £50 or so from ebay.
2. Get a new pre with remote volume such as Icon Audio Passive R or Chevron Audio Paradox for £500-£600. You might be able to find someone on here who would build you a single input pre with remote for less?
3. Spend the rest on speakers. Make sure you try the speakers in your room before buying.

Yeah, I would also start looking into the upgrading of your speakers -- since you metion that your KEF lack detail. I have PMC's Twenty5.23. One of the reasons I went for these is that PMC delivers detail; and, considering their size, the 23 offer remarkable scale, I think. Love them! :) And you can have them within budget.

P.S. Unless you use Spotify for background music only, you should really ditch it for Tidal or Qobuz. The difference is massive -- veils lifted etc... Your 2Qute deserves loss-less... ;-) Personally I prefer Qobuz over Tidal -- better interface in my view and better classical collection. I started with Tidal and had it for quite a while, but after a Qobuz trial I couldn't return to Tidal -- even though my Naim streamer supported Tidal but not Qobuz...

Get a linear power supply for the Allo DigiOne. You can get one for £50 or so from ebay.

Good point -- the Dutch guy on YouTube, Hans B-something, reports a remarkable uplift when using the Allo with linear power supply. He swears on SBooster -- quite a bit more expensive than the Chinese LPS on ebay, but apparently worth it... And a lower risk that you burn down your house... ;)

Good point -- the Dutch guy on YouTube, Hans B-something, reports a remarkable uplift when using the Allo with linear power supply. He swears on SBooster -- quite a bit more expensive than the Chinese LPS on ebay, but apparently worth it... And a lower risk that you burn down your house... ;)

I bought a power supply from MCRU for about 2/3 of the price of the SBooster. I know quite a few people who have bought the ebay units and they seem perfectly happy with them. Either way, they do give a good boost to the quality of the output from the DigiOne.

Did you have a chance to compare your MCRU LPS with one of those cheaper ebay ones your friends bought? I would be curious to learn about your insigths. From what I read, MCRU LPSs are very well regarded too.

I doubt you'd improve your source, you have a decent DAC, and the Tisbury is probably quite transparent, but you could consider a DAC with volume control to simplify things. I use a Lakewest MDAC and so far it's seen off anything else I could plausibly afford. I certainly wouldn't go back to using a preamp. For £3,500 you could get some really nice speakers. I use Martin Logan Summits and can't imagine ever changing them, so I'd blow your budget on these:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=202588140273

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Put your cash into speakers, but for the love of God do not listen to any one's "I have these so you must too" recommendations :rolleyes:

Go and do some leisurely listening and take your time in making a choice based on a decent varied sample of stuff, preferably in your own room with your kit.

Some brilliant suggestions here folks!

Speakers seem like the answer here...

Heard some PMC's (older 23's i think)a couple of years ago with a Naim uniti and found them a tad fatuguing and harsh in the upper vocals,maybe just were revealing the shortcomings of the Naim one box...definitely need to listen more.

Heard some ATC, which sounded great at high volumes but a little flat at lower levels.

I did consider a Khozmo pre with remote then the rest on speakers...

I'm in Hampshire..where can I dem Harbeth, Argon etc? Off to Winchester hifi tomorrow afternoon to listen to their range. Might pop into Audio T too to see what options they have.

As for the Allo, yes I've got one of the £50 ifi low noise smps supplies, would the MRCU be significantly better? As for source material, yes I know Spotify is limited (we have a family account) but I've got a big collection on the NAS. Also, listen to RP a lot in FLAC, if I find a track I like, listen to the album on Spotify then add the cd to my collection via eBay or marketplace. Quobuz beckons though..

Keep the suggestions coming..

Go to a lot of bake offs. You'll get a much better appreciation than with a dealer tapping his feet and dicking with the volume when you're not looking.

I like the fact that the dealer I've been using recently leaves the room and lets you get on with the demo yourself. What I like less though is that they use some kind of streaming solution as a source - not sure what it is but it's really not very good.

advertisement

Back