advertisement

Roon, tell me about it

I was looking for "Tanz mit mir" by the German pagan folk group Faun available on the hits album 'XV' or the album 'von den Elben'.
The song title gave a no results answer when searching Tidal via Roon; but typing in the group then selecting the album finally led me to the track - most annoying given that the new dCS app led me straight to the track in Tidal.

Do you have an example?

I think Roon only gets new data from Qobuz and Tidal once a day, so it is reasonable that something might be visible in Tidal directly but not indirectly through Roon.

Had the same issue a few times, can’t find tracks in roon on tidal but have been there directly in the tidal app. Was a while ago now, will post up if I can remember and find examples

I'm a huge Roon fan (originally just with my Devialet) but now I am using it for my Sonos system too - have one library (hi-def FLAC) and Roon makes it a piece of cake to control them all, downsampling intelligently to red book for Sonos plus the fantastic Tidal/Qobuz integration it offers too.

It *sounds* complex to set up but it isn't really - I've since moved to ROCK and it's been completely stable since! You can just try it on a laptop which hosts your music files and also acts as control and (possibly) connects to your system by USB to see what it does, then move on from there as you wish

I transferred all my Spotify artists and albums to Tidal using Soundiiz yesterday, synced to Roon it has doubled to amount of stuff to listen to, I don't know why I didn't think of doing this sooner!

I'm currently using the Logitech Squeezebox architecture, which enjoys a lot of 'community' support and is open source, so there are plenty of third party plugins available to add features. However the basic structure is long in the tooth, so I decided to try Roon on a free trial. What I like is the fact it integrates mu local music with Tidal, and the searching of both together is really useful. Extra data is interesting on occasion, but I've never been one for reading sleeve notes and don't actually know the song titles on many of my favourite albums, so I think I really just want to listen to the music.
Two major issues with Roon, for me:
1. It doesn't offer an integrated plug-in for Radio Paradise, offering FLAC and the different mix streams - the Squeezebox plug in does this really well and RP is possibly 30% of our listening.
2. No alarm clock / sleep facility - my bedroom Squeezebox wakes us gently to Radio 4 weekdays and Radio Paradise at the weekend, and when we go to bed, we ask it to 'sleep' in 45 minutes and finish listening to our evening playlist as we drift off.

Neither of these are core hifi facilities, but they are how our life works. I'm wondering if I could run Roon and LMS together, but not yet tried that. LMS is free and well supported, Roon costs quite a lot of money, so I feel LMS may be the winner.

I'm currently using the Logitech Squeezebox architecture, which enjoys a lot of 'community' support and is open source, so there are plenty of third party plugins available to add features. However the basic structure is long in the tooth, so I decided to try Roon on a free trial. What I like is the fact it integrates mu local music with Tidal, and the searching of both together is really useful. Extra data is interesting on occasion, but I've never been one for reading sleeve notes and don't actually know the song titles on many of my favourite albums, so I think I really just want to listen to the music.
Two major issues with Roon, for me:
1. It doesn't offer an integrated plug-in for Radio Paradise, offering FLAC and the different mix streams - the Squeezebox plug in does this really well and RP is possibly 30% of our listening.
2. No alarm clock / sleep facility - my bedroom Squeezebox wakes us gently to Radio 4 weekdays and Radio Paradise at the weekend, and when we go to bed, we ask it to 'sleep' in 45 minutes and finish listening to our evening playlist as we drift off.

Neither of these are core hifi facilities, but they are how our life works. I'm wondering if I could run Roon and LMS together, but not yet tried that. LMS is free and well supported, Roon costs quite a lot of money, so I feel LMS may be the winner.

Alas, to get Roon to see your Squeezebox you have to turn LMS off. At least according to the help.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Squeezebox_Setup
But you could try running LMS as well and try switching your devices between LMS and Roon and seeing if they do get confused. Still a pain though.

I highly recommend the Roon remote app if you use a tablet or phone - it helps you get the most out of your music.

And try Roon Radio - full fat cd quality or more streaming. It does a surprisingly ok job of guessing your tastes if you give it a chance. I had it on by accident when I first got Roon and couldn’t understand why music I quite liked started playing after my chosen cd had finished.

advertisement

Back