advertisement

Munich Hi-End

My take: the Living Voice horns are in a class of their own - the most “real” sounding speaker I’ve ever heard. Next best; the Alsyvox ribbon speakers and the Bayz omnidirectionals. Absolutely fabulous. Owning either would be game over for me as far as speakers is concerned.
Best bang for your buck; Kingsound had some bookshelf speaker which were electrostatic / dynamic hybrids. €1500. I was gobsmacked by how good they were and the size of the soundstage they created. Plus absolutely seamless integration between the two different drivers.

My take: the Living Voice horns are in a class of their own - the most “real” sounding speaker I’ve ever heard. Next best; the Alsyvox ribbon speakers and the Bayz omnidirectionals. Absolutely fabulous. Owning either would be game over for me as far as speakers is concerned.
Best bang for your buck; Kingsound had some bookshelf speaker which were electrostatic / dynamic hybrids. €1500. I was gobsmacked by how good they were and the size of the soundstage they created. Plus absolutely seamless integration between the two different drivers.
Wondered what the "dinky" Kingsounds cost... for that price they are brilliant

Personally, I found the huge rectangular Tune Audio horns @220k€ -VAT (or was it more) and the little speakers in the Air Tight room more realistic especially in terms of imaging although I love the "tone" of the Living Voice speakers

I found most of the rooms with horn speakers incredibly sensitive to where you stood / sat. I guess that's the nature of the beast to a certain extent, but could make or break the sound. The Tune speakers mentioned above were an exception to this. The Living Voice ones weren't playing when I visited their room.

My-HiEnd thread up to page 62 now! It really is a huge show!
Three whole days totaling more than 22 hours (I managed to stay after closing one night listening to Jern speakers and Sota TT) and I still can't claim to have seen and heard every last thing :)

Bit of an ugly tour de force that WB deck. The tech sounds very interesting, I wonder what the drive system measurements show?

I
Bit of an ugly tour de force that WB deck. The tech sounds very interesting, I wonder what the drive system measurements show?/QUOTE]

I worry when the "salesman" MD says it's therefore 3X better because of some new drive system.There's some stiff competition at the top end of turntables. Will it be better than the new TechDas?

I worry when the "salesman" MD says it's therefore 3X better because of some new drive system.There's some stiff competition at the top end of turntables. Will it be better than the new TechDas?

Given that the TechDas is still belt drive, I'm going with "There's a good chance - yes"

As an aside, I thought that the best sounding system at the show by a country mile was the Ascendo setup featuring the new Live 15 active loudspeakers. And at 31,500 Euro, they were even sanely priced comapred to most of the rest of the equipment!

What about the large electromagnetic field produced by all those motor coils and so close to the sensitive MC cartridge during replay!

Technics-SP-10-Mk-III-motor.jpg

Technics seemed to cope!

Indeed but look at the size of the coils and the large number of them compared to the Technics and with the plastic platter there doesn't appear to be any screening for then either...

I doubt the stamped sheet and modestly thin alloy platters on Technics offer much in the way of shielding. Small coils, compact field, distance is your friend, mostly.

Reactions: GT
I doubt they'd go to the extremes of using the technology in the first place without consideration of that, seems a schoolboy error to make when producing something as ten tenths as this.

I doubt they'd go to the extremes of using the technology in the first place without consideration of that, seems a schoolboy error to make when producing something as ten tenths as this.
Or it's more about looks? They put a window on the front so you could see the little metal balls spinning.

advertisement

Back