advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any cases yet? I still have just a bare pcb.

Hi Simon,

Gosh sorry for almost a year I have the re-engineered sleeve (with extra ventilation) - PM your address and I'll post a sleeve to you.

Do you have the front and rear panels? - if not I'll send a complete set (with screws + feet etc.)

Does your CM3 (RPi module) have the larger black heatsink mounted to it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x65v2nd71kpoes1/CM3 Heatsink.jpg?dl=0

Hello, everyone! Can someone provide nutshell guidance as to what is going on with the MDAC2? I submitted level 3 payments back in June of 2015. I can wait, just would like some insight as to what to expect in terms of an expected timeline without having to scour through hundreds and thousands of posts :) (my last post here on PFM was dated Nov 2015...lol).

Do you you know why i original wanted an MDAC? because John W was the designer and i original had a Dacmagic 2 which was an absolute revelation at the time.

Last week i swapped out my normal Dac for the original Dacmagic 1 (that a friend gave to me), the 25 odd year old Dac doesn't have the solid bass, has a bit less depth and is less separated/detailed in it's sound... but it really makes up for it in it's beguiling, less processed, more natural, relaxed nature, in fact i'm rather taken with it!

I only use 16/44 however, why don't modern Dacs sound this natural?

A recap with like for like in the psu and decoupling caps will likely edge it forwards a touch.

Hello, everyone! Can someone provide nutshell guidance as to what is going on with the MDAC2? I submitted level 3 payments back in June of 2015. I can wait, just would like some insight as to what to expect in terms of an expected timeline without having to scour through hundreds and thousands of posts :) (my last post here on PFM was dated Nov 2015...lol).

Adamlau,

Sorry - received your Email yesterday upon my return from Munich.

We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with the MDAC2 project - I'm just building up PCBs for the Software company to start on the front panel software which is UI driven, with kind help of a fellow PFM'er we can then work on the design of the UI interface.

I had a "Dummy unit" at Munich, mechanically complete and with some PCB's (front panel PCB's) - I'll post pictures later.

Over the past few months I've been ordering long leadtime critical components to build the prototypes / early production units - averaging about US$10K per month... Painful, but piles of boxes containing the components are building up behind me ... Even today I've just placed around US$1K of component orders...!

Thanks for the reply, John. What took my mind off of it all was having another child between then and now. No time to worry about listening to music :) . He will be in kinder next year, so back to old pursuits and hobbies. One suggestion (may have already been made) are perhaps mounts for a rack. Or perhaps the MDAC2/FDAC in a 2U form factor with either flanges, or mounts to slot into production tables and workstations. Hope S/PDIF is retained as an input across both as well.

Went to "Page 63" of the discussion and voila...Closed.

Unless there is an easy way for forum followers to pick up the new thread, would it be possible to provide a link to the new thread which can be bookmarked?

A recap with like for like in the psu and decoupling caps will likely edge it forwards a touch.

Thanks Simon, will open it up when i have time and have a look inside, was going to try and get the later version of the Dac, but might plough my money into another NOS chipped dac instead.

same question re vfets John

where we at and when we getting them ?, over £2k pledged 3 years ago

Hey John,
Not been here for a few years as well..

I have also pledged for the Fdac, Vfets and detox and would like to know when am I getting this?

Best regards,
Ricardo

Rjpcardoso and Steve,

VFETS will follow the MDAC2 - which is rapidly approaching completion - followed by FDAC.

The highest build MDAC2 PCB can be transferred with upgraded PSU etc. into FDAC chassis.

The VFET's are a much easier project then the MDAC2 - and will be out later this year.

Advanced Detox has now been integrated into the Advanced versions of MDAC2 / FDAC.

The MDAC2 has been designed to support the digital / clock interface for the DAC Array version of the VFETs (where the DAC array is part of the VFET Gain stage. the VFET will be offered in Analogue of Digital input versions (user upgradable).

I'll post pics of the "dummy" MDAC2 chassis I had with me for Munich (as soon as I have access to a camera) - complete with front panel, before I drop it off with the software team who will start on the front panel software.

Hi John

Sounds like things are really moving ahead nicely. Would love to see pics of the dummy unit if you get a chance.

Would sure like to - Renatas IiPhone the camera will not focus and "my" iPhone the battery expanded and popped off the screen!!!

Ordered replacement parts from China for both - as soon as something arrives I'll be able to take pics with one of the phones presuming I make a good iPhone repair tech :)

Had an Email from DHL on Friday to fillout the customs forms for the PCB's I issued last Monday - so I'll be able to build the MDAC2 development board for the software house :)

Had a poor week with little progress on the MDAC2 Analogue board last week - I could just not get into it... space is so tight, every track / every component is a battle.

Just before Munich I had to rip up about 3 weeks of work on the PCB as I had not factored that the tube circuit "obviously" needs to be under the vent holes on the MDAC chassis, so I had to rip up a really nicely designed regulator section to place the tube section in its place...

BTW - Rune is the first PFM'er to see the MDAC2 - at Munich :), I very briefly bumped into Ian but was so busy with meetings I did not get a chance to meet Ian again at the show - which was a real shame :(

Hi Simon,

Gosh sorry for almost a year I have the re-engineered sleeve (with extra ventilation) - PM your address and I'll post a sleeve to you.

Do you have the front and rear panels? - if not I'll send a complete set (with screws + feet etc.)

Does your CM3 (RPi module) have the larger black heatsink mounted to it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x65v2nd71kpoes1/CM3 Heatsink.jpg?dl=0

Hello John,

I don't think I have the large black heatsink - I'm currently on tour in the States, so can check on my return next month.
I don't have the front or back panels though. just a PCB and antenna wrapped in e-tape.

Given up with Volumio, and using PiCore Player instead. Will we be able to do the same with the MDAC2 streamer?

Regards, Simon.

Hi Simon,

Does your board have Red / White LEDs or Red / Blue LED's?

I hate Blue LED's but they are fitted to units with later firmware for technical reasons - if you have a PCB with the earlier White / Red Led's it be better to send the PCB for update + rehoused in a chassis (and sadly change the LED's to Blue / Red :( ).

Just before Munich I had to rip up about 3 weeks of work on the PCB as I had not factored that the tube circuit "obviously" needs to be under the vent holes on the MDAC chassis, so I had to rip up a really nicely designed regulator section to place the tube section in its place...

Probably make a new vent holes would be a 15 min job. And fdac chassis does not have any vent holes yet. To give up 3 weeks job for that sounds a big sacrifice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back