advertisement

When you need a long hug, an aural hug, some musical solace...

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
... you've just got to play Ten New Songs by Leonard Cohen, at least, that's what I've got to do and ten times out of ten, I feel human and ready to face life once again before it's finished.

Okay, Ten New Songs might not be your top musical pick-me-up, as it were, so what is?

Honourable mention: Urlicht by Mahler

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a few I return to on a regular basis. In no particular order:

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Sam Baker - Pretty World
Shawn Mullins - Soul's Core
Beady Belle - Cewbeagappic
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Joni Mitchell - Blue

Love a bit of Kate me and only recently bought this after hearing good reviews but really struggling to like it.

More of a bear hug at the moment - a grower eh?

I have had The Dreaming since 1982, so it is in my musical dna. The Red Shoes is my least favourite Bush album. If new to the Kate Bush catalogue then The Dreaming isn't the easiest album.

Leonard Cohen is an option for me, although it'd be more likely the Live in London albums.

I also like a bit of Beth Orton when I just want something to relax to - currently listening to Central Reservation in fact.

'Vini Reilly' by Durutti Column, 'It'll End in Tears' by This Mortal Coil or 'Pure Phase' by Spiritualized would do it for me 9 times out of 10.

Able Tasmans - A Cuppa Tea and a Lie Down.
Miriam Makeba self titled mono, 1960. I must digitize this wonderful LP to save getting up to skip the English filler.

advertisement

Back