advertisement

I had an SOTM SMS200 Neo before the Mini. It is a superb bit of kit - with the right DAC sounds better than the Mini. You do need a DAC though which, I suspect, would put the overall cost above the OP's budget.

Another option would be a s/h Innuos Zen Mini - again fed into a decent DAC sounds superb.

If I haven't missed anything at the beginning, the OP has a Rega DAC -- so no need for him to pay for a streamer with digital to analogue conversion. No money for music. :)

I experimented a lot with different OS, and in the end I sort of settled for piCore Player with iPeng as app on the iPad. It's a great combination, in principle. But I don't like iPeng's Qobuz integration. I also squeezed in a Roon trial, which was a great experience. But this was before Roon's Qobuz integration. When I am less busy I shall have another go with Roon to see what job they did with Qobuz.

How funny, am on the piCorePlayer site now, and reading a DIYAudio thread on it, will give it a whirl. :)

I had an SOTM SMS200 Neo before the Mini. It is a superb bit of kit - with the right DAC sounds better than the Mini. You do need a DAC though which, I suspect, would put the overall cost above the OP's budget.

Another option would be a s/h Innuos Zen Mini - again fed into a decent DAC sounds superb.
I have a rega dac r so just the streamer I am looking for

How funny, am on the piCorePlayer site now, and reading a DIYAudio thread on it, will give it a whirl. :)

I think it's great fun to try different Operating Systems and interfaces with Raspberry Pi based solutions. I actually bought one of those 2-in-1 adapters to make the switching between different MicroSD cards with different OS easier. The MicroSD card slot with the Allo is a bit of a pain -- you really need tweezers when changing the MicroSD card...

The downside of Innuos is that you are locked into LMS (unless you go down the Roon route), and you might loose out on innovations elsewhere. Who knows how digital audio looks like in 2 or 3 years?

I have never used my Aries Mini's onboard DAC (I have a TEAC UD-503 because it is one of relatively few DACs with analogue throughput for SACD replay).

Despite this I regard the Aries Mini as good value for money. It is more versatile than most of its kind, and I doubt that the inclusion of a DAC adds greatly to its price.

I have a rega dac r so just the streamer I am looking for
Like you I have a Rega Dac R and a few months ago, upgraded to a Elicit R amp.I'm unconvinced that any of these various streamers mentioned (Aries Mini,Innuos, etc) would make a significant sq improvement on my current arrangement which is a bog standard windows laptop fed into the usb inut of the Dac R (bit perfect) and controlled by Foobar using the Beefweb Remote Control web interface.
Admittedly I have little interest in streaming other than the occasional visit to Radio Paradise and mainly listen to Flac files (16 & 24 bit) which are stored on an external HDD with the laptop being used exclusively for music.

The downside of Innuos is that you are locked into LMS (unless you go down the Roon route), and you might loose out on innovations elsewhere. Who knows how digital audio looks like in 2 or 3 years?

Innuos servers support LMS, UPnP/DLNA and Sonos integrations as standard. You can opt to use Roon instead by purchasing a Roon subscription.

All of these will still be around in 2-3 years time.

Like you I have a Rega Dac R and a few months ago, upgraded to a Elicit R amp.I'm unconvinced that any of these various streamers mentioned (Aries Mini,Innuos, etc) would make a significant sq improvement on my current arrangement which is a bog standard windows laptop fed into the usb inut of the Dac R (bit perfect) and controlled by Foobar using the Beefweb Remote Control web interface.
Admittedly I have little interest in streaming other than the occasional visit to Radio Paradise and mainly listen to Flac files (16 & 24 bit) which are stored on an external HDD with the laptop being used exclusively for music.

My lounge set up would make it a bit unsightly to plug my laptop (macbook) directly into the dac unfortunately. However after reading this thread I am interested in the bluesound node 2i, seems to have good reviews and can stream tidal easily and has a android app.

How did you find the change to elicit r? What speakers are you driving?

Does anyone think there will be a noticeable difference between the aures mini and bluesound node 2i if using own dac?

One review I just read about the aures says it only has a ios app, does anyone know if this is still the case?

The aures mini seems really interesting as you can attach a ssd drive, would I be able to transfer files from my macbook to the ssd?

Does anyone think there will be a noticeable difference between the aures mini and bluesound node 2i if using own dac?

One review I just read about the aures says it only has a ios app, does anyone know if this is still the case?

The aures mini seems really interesting as you can attach a ssd drive, would I be able to transfer files from my macbook to the ssd?
Speak to Mr Strictly Stereo he is an expert and sells the items you're interested in.:)

If you are using an external DAC theres no reason to spend 1k on a streamer! Unless you want Roon.

A Bluesound Node 2i would be perfect. Or a Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N.

I need even if you want to run Roon. The Allow DigiOne come preprogrammed as a Roon end point , job done.

1. No - DACs make a difference; a streamer feeding one, if it is doing its job properly, doesn't
2. The Lightning DS (Auralic) app is iOS-only. I can also control my Mini from an Android phone using the BubbleDS Next app, and can get the Qobuz stream to it via the optical out of the Chromecast Audio which I use for iPlayer Radio (I've only done the latter as an experiment, so as to have a backup for my iPad)
3. I use an outboard SSD for convenience; all my files were in FLAC or MP3 form on a PC and it was a trivial job to copy them. I don't see why it should be any more difficult from a Macbook.

correction to point 2: my CCA is connected to my DAC, not to the Aries Mini, which does not have an optical input...

Last edited:
How did you find the change to elicit r? What speakers are you driving?

I'm very happy with the Elicit R - to my ears it has introduced a richness and smoothness to my system and is a pleasure to use.
I'm driving a pair of B&W CDM 7 SE's bi-wired with Chord Odyssey 4 cables.

I'm very happy with the Elicit R - to my ears it has introduced a richness and smoothness to my system and is a pleasure to use.
I'm driving a pair of B&W CDM 7 SE's bi-wired with Chord Odyssey 4 cables.
Think I will get a loan from my local hifi dealer and give it a try at some point in the near future

Thinking I will probably go with the bluesound node 2i, I noticed you can also buy a bluesound vault from them so that could be handy. Plus they have an android app so will be easier for use with my phone

Actually, just reading and the vault 2i seems to be both a streamer and nas drive. Has anyone used this before? Assume will be the same quality as the node 2i when attached to my dac?

Does anyone know if you can attach a USB stick with music into the node?

Thinking I will probably go with the bluesound node 2i, I noticed you can also buy a bluesound vault from them so that could be handy. Plus they have an android app so will be easier for use with my phone
I bought the blue sound node 2i from Lee at Strictly.

Tbh, it's dac performance is pretty close to my rega dac.

You should try and compare the 2.

I'm sure the aries would work too, but I'm an Android user.

advertisement

Back