advertisement

€500 vs €900 HIFI USB CABLE Comparison...

I also think it's funny the way, whether it's cables or cartridge bodies, the rarer and more expensive the material the better it's supposed to sound. Why? Do the electrons know that they're going along something hard to find so behave themselves better?? Where is the logic behind the idea that being rare makes something better suited to a practical application?

Cartridges are transducers. Things actually move...a cantilever bend, a stylus tip vibrates on purpose...that's why real engineers are used to work out what'\s best.
Why is this the only hobby where real, highly experienced and qualified engineers are told they know nought about their subject, and some bloke who once read something on the internet, and who steadfastly ignores all science poked uis way is allowed consider his opinion of equal validity?
It's ODD.

Neither picture makes me like cats.

That makes Mr. Mittens sad.

39422612685_f99731792c.jpg

Joe

Why is this the only hobby where real, highly experienced and qualified engineers are told they know nought about their subject, and some bloke who once read something on the internet, and who steadfastly ignores all science poked his way is allowed consider his opinion of equal validity?

That's a fairly jaundiced way to look at it? ;0) When highly experienced and qualified engineers pay my mortgage and buy my Hi-Fi equipment for me we can talk. Until then, I guess I can think and buy whatever the hell I like?

Well, I'm not selling mine, and the manufacturer's website has gone, so what is being advertised? It's funny how the most abusive are those who are offended by things they believe can't make a difference.

I'm pleased to be able to bring you joy.

Not sure about that Joe, looks like Tilly’s been transferred into Mr Mittens, Turnabout Intruder style.

Cartridges are transducers. Things actually move...a cantilever bend, a stylus tip vibrates on purpose...that's why real engineers are used to work out what'\s best.
Why is this the only hobby where real, highly experienced and qualified engineers are told they know nought about their subject, and some bloke who once read something on the internet, and who steadfastly ignores all science poked uis way is allowed consider his opinion of equal validity?
It's ODD.
It is worth pointing out that actual engineers also make wild claims about equipment they are looking to sell at an inflated price.

Has anyone noticed whether pictures taken by a digital camera are better when the .jpgs are transferred to the computer using a high-end videophile USB cable? I think you should do the test blind so you aren't biased by your expectations.

I just did and I can say the difference is astounding. You'd have to be deaf not to see it.

Download using the cheap USB cable that came in the box
31139766425_0042b7c6fe.jpg

Download using $10,000 videophile USB cable

The tones in the second image are undoubtedly richer and note how the whiskers are much clearer.

Joe

Nope, I'm sorry to report that Wyjsar is completely wrong.....one can clearly see that the first picture is of a mighty fine kitty.......and that the second picture is of, er, a mighty fine kitty.......

Miaow!

When highly experienced and qualified engineers pay my mortgage and buy my Hi-Fi equipment for me we can talk.

Well, two highly experienced and qualified engineers have paid off our mortgage and bought our Hi-Fi equipment. Does that count?

It's ODD.
Actually there are engineers (well, one in particular) who will say that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot, even other engineers who are more successful and respected than them.

Has anyone noticed whether pictures taken by a digital camera are better when the .jpgs are transferred to the computer using a high-end videophile USB cable? I think you should do the test blind so you aren't biased by your expectations.

I just did and I can say the difference is astounding. You'd have to be deaf not to see it.

Download using the cheap USB cable that came in the box

Download using $10,000 videophile USB cable

The tones in the second image are undoubtedly richer and note how the whiskers are much clearer.

Joe

That sums it up perfectly.... there are two types of USB cables... USB cables and broken USB cables ... that's the only difference you'll ever 'hear'. And people on here call Naim snake oil!!!!

That's a fairly jaundiced way to look at it? ;0) When highly experienced and qualified engineers pay my mortgage and buy my Hi-Fi equipment for me we can talk. Until then, I guess I can think and buy whatever the hell I like?

Well it's your life ofc, but I was really suggesting that it's the opinions broadcast about which are ODD. I mean at the very least, you should do some double blind testing for yourself just in case the placebo effect works on the whole world AND you? Just an idea.
I'd rather not fall out over this or anything else tho...It's just a hobby and meant to be enjoyable and as you say...it''s your money so... I'm outta here :)

Actually there are engineers (well, one in particular) who will say that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot, even other engineers who are more successful and respected than them.

Quite.

These types of arguments all go quiet when the links of Colin Wonfor turns up, who is one of the most successful audio engineers on this forum (you know, full manufactured amplifiers and things like that, not boards that fit into other peoples work/casings), and who also designs cables....which, sound different.

Theres one angry deaf 'engineer' on here who used to make human kites, had his own section on a forum where he would ban people that disagreed with him... so you know you are in good hands there lol

I mean at the very least, you should do some double blind testing for yourself just in case the placebo effect works on the whole world AND you? Just an idea.

Or..maybe not? LINK

I'm not saying there is no placebo effect but I think it has limits and can work both ways. Last year I made up a 'fancy' mains cable. It was very similar to the one Rega supply with the Isis except I used a heavier cable, which I came to regret as was almost impossible to fit into the nice gold-plated plugs!

Now Mr Placebo would suggest that having invested time and money into this very cool looking cable it would magically sound better than the stock cable, right? Wrong. It sounded worse. Tried it on and off over a few weeks but nope, sounded duller and less less dynamic. Ended up giving it away.

Bias doesn’t quite work like that, to remove bias you need to have someone swap cables without you knowing which is connected , if you can consistently ‘pick’ a cable then you might be on to something.
Keith

advertisement

Back