advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+20)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Watson has said in The Observer that a second referendum if the only way for Labour to beat Nigel Farage and his Brexit Party in the upcoming MEP elections. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eferendum-only-way-to-beat-farage-says-watson

"Labour will never defeat Nigel Farage if it continues to “sit on the fence” over Brexit and offers only “mealy-mouthed” support for a second referendum, the party’s deputy leader says today.

"In an extraordinary intervention that exposes the tensions at the top of the party over Brexit strategy, Tom Watson warns that Labour will lose to Farage’s new “far right” Brexit party in May’s European elections if it continues to give the impression that “we half agree with him”.

No doubt Corbyn will be digging out his Mealy Mouthed Dictionary to frame an answer i.e. do nothing. May and him are exactly the same - they both want Brexit and no chance of Remain winning a second referendum.

Jack

Second referendum is only way to beat Nigel Farage, warns Tom Watson
Labour deputy leader in shock intervention that threatens to ignite row at party’s highest level

I’d never heard of Lyra McKee, but her death sounds like a great loss. I heard speech she made about LGBT rights on R4 earlier are it was remarkably powerful and articulate. A huge shame to lose such an articulate mind in such a dumb act of violence.

My niece knew her. One positive thing is the universal condemnation of her death, bringing the most unlikely bedfellows together. Michael Higgins, the Irish President, was here on a visit and he made a point of signing the book of condolence. Arlene Foster (DUP) and Mary Lou MacDonald (Sinn Féin) have both expressed their horror. And I was wandering through Belfast yesterday when I came across the Belfast Lord Mayor (a Sinn Féin lady) giving a presentation about it in front of the city hall, and stressing the fundamental importance of the Good Friday Agreement to peace in Ireland.

Unfortunately, there is a segment of the Republican movement that never gave up its romantic attachment to the gun and the bomb as a method of removing the British from Ireland. And equally unfortunately there will be Loyalist nutcases ready to reply in kind. To such blinkered people, it matters not that, in reality, Ireland wants reunification with the North about as much as it wants a hole in the head. Someone once defined a fanatic as a person with both feet firmly planted in the air. The North still has far too many folk with feet thus planted, and the UK Brexit lunacy could bring them all out of the holes in which they habitually lurk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back