advertisement

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

Ok, finally, I have 5V supercapacitor PS ready to ship
The list I have recorded is just two people -
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)
Aspro

I'll be shipping on Monday - are you ready OWL?
If anyone else is interested in this 5V version of the supercapacitor PS just post by copying the two names above & adding your name to the end

Other voltages will be put on tour a bit later
I have Paul Burke interested in 20V version
00fiete (12V,3A)

if there is interest in other PS version, please the list here

Dual mixed voltage outputs (i.e 12V & 5V) needs some further consideration as I'm finding it difficult to keep both voltages within an acceptable range of their settings when high current is drawn from both. I will continue to work on this issue but it may be that I can only offer single voltage supercap PS?

Thanks Chris - I have noted that - tour list as follows

5V supercapacitor PS -
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)
Aspro

Other voltages
Paul Burke 20V
Beammeup 16V (14 -18V) 1A for Aries
00fiete 12V 3A

Hi Rob, is only startingst end of this week so no posts of users impressions yet, other than from local users, like Tony on the DAC tour thread

Hi,

Can I be added to the 5v supercapacitor PS please?
I am hoping to power the clean side of the Allo digione signature.

Thanks,
Brendan

5V supercapacitor PS -
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)
Aspro
koobre

Welcome to the tour, Koobre
I believe you could power both sides of the Allo using the dual 5V outputs - because of the nature of this PS there is little or noise or crosstalk between the power supplies i.e what's happening on the "dirty" side of the Allo power supply does not cross over into the other 5V supply but try it & see

Thanks. Looking forward to the trial. I am using batteries at the moment (18650). Not a neat solution and you never know when the juice will run out...

I haven't heard back from owl since Sunday when he told me the package had arrived?

I sent the SCPSU to another person using a Chord Qutest & his very preliminary comparison Vs Sbooster LPS & stock SMPS supplies with Chord - SCPSU wins!

As I said very prelim listening but - his impressions were:
- initially quite similar to SMPS but a bit more listening revealed it as smoother with very solid (tight) bass, made SMPS sound a little harsh. bass light & imprecise.
- Sbooster LPS is smooth but without the tightness of the Supercap bass

These impressions were given from a very brief listening before going away for a week - maybe he will have more detailed impressions after longer listening?

I haven't heard back from owl since Sunday when he told me the package had arrived?

I sent the SCPSU to another person using a Chord Qutest & his very preliminary comparison Vs Sbooster LPS & stock SMPS supplies with Chord - SCPSU wins!

As I said very prelim listening but - his impressions were:
- initially quite similar to SMPS but a bit more listening revealed it as smoother with very solid (tight) bass, made SMPS sound a little harsh. bass light & imprecise.
- Sbooster LPS is smooth but without the tightness of the Supercap bass

These impressions were given from a very brief listening before going away for a week - maybe he will have more detailed impressions after longer listening?

Thanks. It sounds like it's definitely worth me trying it.

owl just contacted me & his impression is favourable - he will be posting his impressions after the weekend
Then he will post the PS package onwards
Spenagio is next on the list - can you confirm you are ready?
Failing that can Mort2k confirm readiness?

5V supercapacitor PS -
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)
Aspro
koobre

Hi everyone

busy week at work. listening session with the supercapicitor ps last night with my chord qutest. Wow! A real noticeable improvement in transparency. Its like a slightly murky window has been cleaned. The little acoustic nuances are far more noticeable. There is a greater sense of separation between instruments on large scale symphonic music. large scale dynamic swings sound more fluid. I will be ordering a supercapcitor ps!

Thanks owl - glad you liked it.
I have some concerns about using these micro USB cables for supplying power to a device - I doubt it is the optimal cable design for this?
When I developed the SC-PS I tested a number of different 2.1mm to 2.1mm cables & depending on the gauge of the wire & its current carrying ability, the voltage at the end of 1M cable could be 0.5V lower when supplying ~2A of current. That's why I bundle a good gauge 2.1mm to 2.1mm DC cable with the SC-PS

This ability to deliver current without voltage droop may effect the sound so I would look for a fast charge micro USB cable for use between Chord Qutest & any PS - something like this looks good - says it can deliver 2.5A but there are a number of fast charging micro USB cable on Amazon UK or better still a micro to DC converter like this would be best & use my 2.1mm DC cable

BTW, this issue is not specific to my SC-PS - it is a known concern with all PSes

Weather has been rubbish this afternoon, so i listened to music all afternoon. The 5v supercapcitor has made such a tangible difference, noticed the following:

Shostakovich's 5th - much better transparency and view into the orchestra. The woodwind instruments sound more reedy and organic. Much better differentiation of stringed instruments.

Roger Waters Perfect Sense - wow this is a well recorded track and it sounds stunning. There seems to be a better sense of flow and vocals are simply clearer.

Gregory Porter No Love Dying Hear - better sense of vocal inflection and definition.

So I will be placing my order once I send it to the next tour recipient next week.

advertisement

Back