advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+20)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't a separate thread marking the murder of journalist Lyra McKee, who was shot during riots in Londonderry last night. Her death arguably highlights the perils of the Irish border issue, which Brexiteers promised didn't exist, was minimal or made up.

McKee was feted as a great, young, investigative journalist and was big on LGBT rights. She was standing next to a police 4 by 4 when she was shot.

Patti Smith has made a statement about the murder: "''This is Lyra McKee. A fearless investigative journalist and author. Beloved and trusted champion of the lost, marginalized and those, like herself, who have suffered growing up in a discriminatory environment. She will not hold her forthcoming book The Lost Boys in her hands. Will not walk the streets of Belfast on Good Friday Morning. She was shot in cold blood during rioting on Thursday night in Derry. Lyra McKee was 29 years old. And thus do we mourn our young, a brilliant flame extinguished."

Here is a letter McKee wrote, when she was 24, to her 14 year old self, that was published in The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-mckee-letter-gay-journalism-northern-ireland

Jack

cYuqgFUM.jpg

Not sure that her murder had anything to do with Brexit.

They'll be an inquiry. Let's see what happens. There is to a certain extent a facade of peace in Ireland. The murder of Lyra Mckee followed the area being swamped by PSNI/RUC - armed police. Houses have been raided on a regular basis and this was the result.

Jack

It highlights just how fragile the peace in that area really is and also that the parasitic disaster capitalists, racists and idiots gave not the slightest thought or care about preserving the GFA.

I’d never heard of Lyra McKee, but her death sounds like a great loss. I heard speech she made about LGBT rights on R4 earlier are it was remarkably powerful and articulate. A huge shame to lose such an articulate mind in such a dumb act of violence.

There isn't a separate thread marking the murder of journalist Lyra McKee, who was shot during riots in Londonderry last night. Her death arguably highlights the perils of the Irish border issue, which Brexiteers promised didn't exist, was minimal or made up.

McKee was feted as a great, young, investigative journalist and was big on LGBT rights. She was standing next to a police 4 by 4 when she was shot.

Patti Smith has made a statement about the murder: "''This is Lyra McKee. A fearless investigative journalist and author. Beloved and trusted champion of the lost, marginalized and those, like herself, who have suffered growing up in a discriminatory environment. She will not hold her forthcoming book The Lost Boys in her hands. Will not walk the streets of Belfast on Good Friday Morning. She was shot in cold blood during rioting on Thursday night in Derry. Lyra McKee was 29 years old. And thus do we mourn our young, a brilliant flame extinguished."

Here is a letter McKee wrote, when she was 24, to her 14 year old self, that was published in The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-mckee-letter-gay-journalism-northern-ireland

Jack

cYuqgFUM.jpg
This is just the beginning. I regard people like mogg and johnson and all the other dim little brexiteers as directly responsible for this. It will only get worse.

This is just the beginning. I regard people like mogg and johnson and all the other dim little brexiteers as directly responsible for this. It will only get worse.

Mogg is very smart but he has fundamentalist beliefs that make him very dangerous, Johnson is as dumb as a box of rocks.

Mogg is very smart but he has fundamentalist beliefs that make him very dangerous, Johnson is as dumb as a box of rocks.

BJ dumb but popular. Mogg more devious than smart for me. Have to be spot on with your facts to be smart. He just twists in the wind with a delivery that a certain type of Brit finds intellectual.

Last edited:
Change UK: ‘we’re the natural home of the remain alliance’

The ‘remain’ vote in the EU elections is doomed, isn’t it? I think here in Norfolk the Conservatives will be nowhere and NewKip will win all seats because of the split in Remain. Maybe they’ll even win in the city.

I can see the Brexit party gaining a huge majority. May/the Tories will surely respond with a push for the hardest of Brexits.

Edit.

This paralysing lack of leadership leaves Remainers with nowhere to go

“The inability of the leading opposition party to oppose extends beyond its sneaky fudges. Labour is no more challenging every half-truth and whole lie made by Nigel Farage than it is exposing the empty nationalism of the seeming limitless supply of Tory leadership candidates. ”

Stephen

Last edited:
No. They’re both talented, clever individuals who have both worked hard and through their own endeavours, perseverance and intelligence...ensured they’re born to the right parents

Last edited:

I don’t see the ‘Rees Mogg = smart’ thing. He’s clearly exceptionally wealthy, privileged and very, very odd, but has made many huge blunders politically, e.g. mis-timing the VoNC in May, plus he has frequently been caught lying on TV and in print. I realise the latter seems acceptable practice within the alt-right these days, but I’d hope it would come back to haunt him should he seek any more prominent political role. He has also proven himself very temper prone and petulant both on Twitter and in interview, which again tends to separate the statesman from the also-ran.

PS One thing that surprised me is his sister with the random Scrabble hand name, who is part of Farage/Banks latest nationalist gobshitery lacks the crazy archaic posh accent, so I assume there is a degree of fakery/illusion somewhere there too.

Only a nation hypnotised by the Eton drone would consider Rees-Mogg smart.

I still like the Le Carre characterisation "he was a barmaid's idea of a gentleman."

The thoroughly modern bigot.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...shioned-thoroughly-modern-bigot-suzanne-moore

"As usual, Rees-Mogg’s religious faith is used to excuse his appalling bigotry. He is a Catholic and this kind of fundamentalism is always anti-women, but for some reason we are to respect it. I don’t. It has no place in public life.

Far from being iconoclastic, this MP’s views are entirely predictable. He is a fund manager with interests in the tobacco, mining, oil and gas industries. His path to parliament was Eton, Oxford and investment banking.

It is true, then: he is the real deal. The real deal is not a charming, upper-crust throwback, but a thoroughly modern, neoconservative bigot. Views that verge on fascistic are fine if dressed up in tweed with a knowledge of the classics thrown in. What a laugh! No one who thinks like that could get elected, could they? That would be a sick joke indeed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back