advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Steely Dan and Steve Winwood at the Resorts World Arena, Birmingham (the old NEC). Sound appalling as per usual, but such a tight band, and Stevie came onstage for Pretzel Logic. Great to see Donald Fagen on good form. Lots of classics from Mr Winwood too - top evening!
Was at the Glasgow show tremendous night. My ticket with booking fee was £107..00. My mate got a last minute ticket online £28..00 two rows behind me.

Was at NEC too - paid a princely sum for seat close to the front row on the basis that it was a once in a lifetime expense and never having seen them before with both Walt and Don. Sound was great where I was, thoroughly enjoyed both Steve Winwood and The Dan. Shame he didn't do Haitian Divorce which is my favourite and I had high hopes when I saw the voice-box tube attached to the guitarist's mike stand. Slightly odd that he didn't mention Walter - maybe still a bit raw emotionally for him? Drummer was superb BTW (Keith Carlock?)

I had a musical weekend, 4 gigs at the Liverpool International Jazz Festival , then on Monday Joan Baez at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

The Darius Brubeck Quartet,

The Atom String Quartet, from Poland,

Vein, from Switzerland, with Andy Sheppard on sax,

Joan Baez ,

Ibibio Sound Machine in Brighton last night.
I was expecting them to be pretty good, but they were waaaay better then that - amazing tight and groovy band, well worth catching.

On Tuesday I was fortunate to see Verdi's Falstaff at the New York Met opera house. We struggled through biting winds, a temperature of -8 degrees C and the crazy traffic but it was worth it for two and a half hours of the most spell binding entertainment.
That's another opera house ticked off the bucket list.

Mike and the mechanics at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge last night. Think the average age of the audience was probably 55!

Thoroughly enjoyed it, loved Andrew Roachford’s vocals , not too fussed about the other fella .

Went to see 21 Pilots at Wembley Arena with my wife and teenage kids last night. Not really a fan of big venues and the seating arrangements at this venue are really poor in my opinion, based on previous experience there. Too far back at the back and then either hard left or hard right round the edge. So went for standing in the middle which meant we could find a good position. So glad we did. The band were excellent and a good atmosphere all round. Sound was pretty good for this size venue and surprisingly, not overloud or distorted. Didn't feel like my ears had been stripped back and no ringing this morning.

10CC last Wednesday at the Pavilion, Bournemouth. Didn't know what to expect, but really enjoyed it. Just Graham Gouldman from the original line up, but Rick Fenn on guitar and Paul Burgess on drums are old hands that have played with the band regularly in the past.
An acapella version of Donna was an unexpected treat.

Last edited:
Giovanni Guzzo and Simon Parkin at the Bridgewater Hall mid day concert series yesterday afternoon gave us Beethoven's Violin Sonata no. 5 in F Major, Opus 24 Spring and Janacek's Violin Sonata.
It was an hour of delightful musicianship. Guzzo's performances are never less than sublime.

Tonight Brit Floyd at the Bridgewater Hall again. An outstanding evening's entertainment. The playing of the Wall was exemplary but the light show and graphics really enhanced it .Best performance by them yet as far as I'm concerned.

Saw Anouar Brahem at the Barbican last night - sublime. Always good to se Dave Holland but was really immersed by Django Bate's piano playing - not seen him live before.

Good food before the concert, comfortable seats, great music, no one talking or filming on their phones during the show: all that I need these days. I think my mosh pit days are over.

Kevin

Paul Carrack Sheffield City Hall last Thursday. Excellent as usual; doesn't have 'star quality' but I don't think he cares anymore, if he ever did.

The Orb last night in Guildford.
It was alright - not helped by a noisy, chatty crowd tbh.
Still, not a bad night out with a few mates.

Cabernet Voltaire at the Village Underground. No hits that I could recognise. Seemed like they were playing all new music and it was terrific! Interesting visual art film as they played. Really good sound at this venue but a tad loud for an old git like me. Black was definitely the clothing colour choice of the night for the audience. Very mixed age group which was good to see.

46659584615_9628a7a0c1.jpg
On Tuesday I was fortunate to see Verdi's Falstaff at the New York Met opera house. We struggled through biting winds, a temperature of -8 degrees C and the crazy traffic but it was worth it for two and a half hours of the most spell binding entertainment.
That's another opera house ticked off the bucket list.

Glad someone else here likes dodgy plot lines.

Saw La Forza del Destino last night. Had to fight my way into the lift at Covent Garden tube and through a gentle breeze to the opera house. Fine all-round cast (particularly Kaufmann, Monastyrska, Tezier, Furlanetto, Corbelli). Another opera off my list.

advertisement

Back