advertisement

Budget DSP Crossover - anyone tried a 'the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini'

seyles

Retired Child
I've been looking for a way of replacing a Behringer DCX2496 that is used to crossover and PEQ a pair of subwoofers via a pair of Quad 510 amps. My future plans include adding a third subwoofer, so I need 3 channels in and out, the DCX2496 is 3 in 6 out so can accommodate this, but its fugly and has the dreaded fried egg crackle on 2 of the 6 outputs.

I was considering a couple of the MinDSP 2x4 balanced:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-balanced-2x4

I came across the 'the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.racks_dsp_4x4_mini.htm

The t.racks is only £66 and has 4 channels in and out, the MiniDSP is $115 and I'd need two.

Has anyone used the above, or can suggest another product with 3 in/out (or more) channels?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

That sounds like a good product for the cash. The software certainly looks pretty comprehensive.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered it; £78 delivered.

I will provide feedback once it's here and wired in!

This sounds interesting. I've been looking at the minidsp 2x8 with a mind to going active with my old IMFs. They are four way TLs but I'd keep the passive components between the tweeter and super tweeter and run as a three way.

Thank you seyles. Looks like their commitment to the diy community isn't quite what they say it is. Maybe I should look elsewhere.

I have used MiniDSP 2x4 a number of times. It is rather crude and requires lots of mods to sing, nevertheless it has great capabilities.

The unit arrived and I did a quick test to see if it worked, then it was Easter school holiday, so I've been away.
I need to make up some 1/4 TRS to XLR leads and plug it in.
The software is okay; a bit clunky old school windows to look at and use, but serviceable. The only issue I can see is that it has noise gates that can't be defeated, not sure how much of an issue this will be, probably not too bad for subwoofer only use (my case), but could be an issue if used for full range / active xover use.

I'll report back once I have used it in circuit.

The unit arrived and I did a quick test to see if it worked, then it was Easter school holiday, so I've been away.
I need to make up some 1/4 TRS to XLR leads and plug it in.
The software is okay; a bit clunky old school windows to look at and use, but serviceable. The only issue I can see is that it has noise gates that can't be defeated, not sure how much of an issue this will be, probably not too bad for subwoofer only use (my case), but could be an issue if used for full range / active xover use.

I'll report back once I have used it in circuit.

Hey Seyles, whats the verdict? I'm quite keen on the unit but very hard to find reviews. Happy with the sound quality and functionality? I am in between the t.racks mini and the DCX2496 for a simple 2tops+1sub setup. Seems you have experience with both. Please give your voice :)

I’ve done a few quick listening sessions, the behringher isn’t going back in...

The unit is easy to set up, USB rather than serial makes it even easier than the behringer.
At the moment, all I’ve done is copy the PEQ across from the DCX, it does sound a little louder in the bass, but that’s probably a levels issue.

There is no hiss or hum, so it’s fit for purpose.

I’m only using it for subwoofers, I let my mains roll off naturally, so I can’t comment on the absolute transparency of the unit in a full range set up.

The only benefit the DCX has over this unit is the ability to make changes on the front panel.

For the money, it’s a bargain.

I hope that’s helpful?

Steve

advertisement

Back