advertisement

driving charges in London

graystoke4

pfm Member
the mayor of london has come up with even more tax's if you want to drive in london, it will now cost you £24 a DAY, to drive in the center of london, he is one of the biggest ****34rs, to ever walk this country he himself come from a very wealthy family, his uncle gives him an allowance of millions a year,
how come you have to pay more for a diesel car even if it emits less co2 than a petrol car,
no infrastructure for electric cars in london
what happens if you live in the city center and have an old car,
he said he will give concessions the the fire & ambulances, so they will not have to pay the charge when they are saving your life, you carn't make this up, he said that on the news this morning
he has put in place 20mph borough's, so you burn more fuel driving in 3rd gear all sodding day,
most organisations have said it will make little difference,
the list goes on and on, the man need's to be outed, he has no idea about the average man, on the street carn't get a grip on KNIFE CRIME but sure can raise those tax's, the biggest fool in london .

People need to get out of their cars. Cities need to be walking and cycle friendly. 20 mph zones enable those not in cars etc to travel safely.
Visit Oslo to see what can be done. The centre is car free. It's a very pleasant place to be. Surely people don't enjoy sitting in traffic jams within the M25 or anywhere else for that matter? Surely people don't want to breathe toxic air? Surely there has to be a better way and the sooner the zone is extended to the M25 and to black cabs, the better.

When congestion charging was first introduced there was a rapid improvement in the circulation, which I believe has now returned to its former terrible state. But this is what caught my attention

the man need's to be outed, he has no idea about the average man, /QUOTE]

This is exactly what the French working class were saying about Macron's government, and one of their grievances was actually to do with taxes on cars . . . they said they've been shifted out of the cities to outlying towns because of housing costs and so they need their car to get to work.

In France they did something about it.

Poor and infirm people should be given an electric car. So should mobile barbers and poor sods who invested in diesel van fleets because they were told to. Aside from that I'm all in favour.

Volkswagen getting caught cheating the emissions on their diesel cars has giving Khan and others the opportunity to give diesel drivers a right good bumming. It doesn't look good I'm afraid.

The poor as usual will suffer the most as they do when buying car tax and insurance because they can’t afford to pay in one go. However the pollution is epic and needs addressing. However this approach will do very little in real terms and is just a stunt. Banning all cars from all cities and towns is the only way but the public transport is totally rubbish. I am happy to use the bus but after 6 pm there are none and that is to a village of 5000. We either drive or get the bus in and a taxi back. It won’t affect the rich as usual who will continue to drive whatever they want.

Has anyone tried to put Khan into a scissor hold until he relents?

giphy.gif

Sorry, wrong Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Joe

Me too. I last visited 2 years ago for work, didn't much like it. The time before was 5 years previously, I don't care if it's that long or longer until next time. It's a foreign country in which I have no interest.

the mayor of london has come up with even more tax's if you want to drive in london, it will now cost you £24 a DAY, to drive in the center of london, he is one of the biggest ****34rs, to ever walk this country he himself come from a very wealthy family, his uncle gives him an allowance of millions a year,
how come you have to pay more for a diesel car even if it emits less co2 than a petrol car,

Because there are other emissions from a diesel - Diesel emissions include also pollutants that can have adverse health and/or environmental effects. Most of these pollutants originate from various non-ideal processes during combustion, such as incomplete combustion of fuel, reactions between mixture components under high temperature and pressure, combustion of engine lubricating oil and oil additives as well as combustion of non-hydrocarbon components of diesel fuel, such as sulfur compounds and fuel additives. Common pollutants include unburned hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), nitrogen oxides (NOx) or particulate matter (PM)

no infrastructure for electric cars in london

Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has created a new taskforce to help increase infrastructure for electric vehicles (EVs) in London. The EV Taskforce, the first of its kind in the UK, will make it easier for Londoners to switch from diesel to electric vehicles. The result will be cleaner air for everyone. It will also help with the Mayor’s aims for London to become a zero carbon city with its entire transport system zero emission by 2050.

Rapid charge points
Rapid charge points are essential to support Londoners and businesses to make the switch from diesel to electric and charge their vehicle in as little as half an hour. Standard charging points, in comparison, take between four and eight hours.

London now has over 100 rapid charge points, however, most of these are on land or roads managed by Transport for London. To encourage businesses, taxi drivers and Londoners to switch to EVs we need a huge expansion in rapid chargers. To make this happen, the Mayor believes we must work together with the boroughs and private sector.

Charging points for residents
Alongside rapid charge points, the Mayor is working with London Councils to install slower standard charge points on residential streets, including retrofitting lamp columns. These will help Londoners who cannot charge an EV at their home. 25 boroughs have expressed an interest in participating and have been allocated around £4.5m funding. Londoners wanting to switch to an EV should write to their local council to request a charge point near their home.

what happens if you live in the city center and have an old car,
he said he will give concessions the the fire & ambulances, so they will not have to pay the charge when they are saving your life, you carn't make this up, he said that on the news this morning
he has put in place 20mph borough's, so you burn more fuel driving in 3rd gear all sodding day,

20mph Zones Before 20mph zones were first introduced in the UK, it had been recognised in the Netherlands that 30km/h was a suitable speed for residential areas and that vehicle speeds could be reduced through road design. In 1984, regulations were introduced which allowed municipalities to reduce traffic speeds and volumes through this approach. An evaluation of 15 of the 30km/h zones was conducted. There were engineering measures in all of these areas, including signage, speed humps, narrower roads and chicanes. The reduction in speed was dependent on the type of engineering measure introduced into the area, but speed humps and narrowing the road almost always reduced vehicle speeds to below 30km/h. The researchers noted that there was also a reduction in traffic volume by 5% to 30%. There were reductions in the number of accidents and injury accidents compared to the rest of the municipalities with the experimental areas and also the whole of the Netherlands. Whilst both accidents and injury accidents showed between a 10% reduction to 5% increase in the 6 years following their introduction in the municipality and whole of the Netherlands; the number of accidents dropped to around 80-85% of the initial figure in the trial areas, and injury accidents dropped to between 60-80%. The first widespread evaluation of 20mph zones in the UK was carried out by TRL in 199611. It found that injury accidents were reduced by 60%, and child injury accidents were reduced by 67%. The evaluation did not find evidence that accidents increased on surrounding roads due to drivers changing their route. There was a decrease in traffic by 27% in the zones during the evaluation, but the authors attributed a large part of this to bypasses which were also built in conjunction with some of the schemes to take through traffic away from the area.

most organisations have said it will make little difference,

Oh yeah?

the list goes on and on, the man need's to be outed, he has no idea about the average man, on the street carn't get a grip on KNIFE CRIME but sure can raise those tax's, the biggest fool in london .

Oh yeah?

I’m interested in why people elect to drive their car into congested city centres. I can understand necessity- for example disabled people, delivery drivers or people who’s home is in the city centre but I get the impression a lot of folk just prefer using their car to public transport/ walking/ cycling. I’m right in the centre of Edinburgh and every day I see people going round repeatedly to get a parking space for shopping or restaurants. More come in by car from the burbs at the weekend to shop and eat and when the wardens are off, they abandon cars right on corners or blocking kerbless sections of pavement where push buggies, elderly and disabled people cross. They’re wedded to their car.

As above.
I regularly go into Manchester for theatre, concerts, etc..
I drive to the nearest Metrolink park and ride and get the tram in.
Stress free.
No worrying about finding a car park, negotiating a parking spot the size of an Austin A40 and it’s cheaper too.

advertisement

Back