advertisement

New Classical purchases

Apparently, I'll be receiving The Glass Effect by Lavinia Meijer within a day or two. Having heard some of it already I'm looking forward to adding to my collection as Meijer plays Glass rather well.

5112Y+126sL._AC_US218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Apparently, I'll be receiving The Glass Effect by Lavinia Meijer within a day or two. Having heard some of it already I'm looking forward to adding to my collection as Meijer plays Glass rather well.

5112Y+126sL._AC_US218_.jpg

I have been enjoying this for a month now. Until now I had dismissed Glass's music as contemporary classical (or whatever it's properly labelled) which I generally don't like but I found this album to be quite good. Simple but highly enjoyable. I'm ready to cautiously explore more of his music.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have been enjoying this for a month now. Until now I had dismissed Glass's music as contemporary classical (or whatever it's properly labelled) which I generally don't like but I found this album to be quite good. Simple but highly enjoyable. I'm ready to cautiously explore more of his music.

Yeah, some of Glass' music is hard to enjoy but thankfully, Meijer brings it to life in a way that's far easier on the ears.

BrianPK - thanks for pointing this out. I love Avison's works after Scarlatti so adding this Geniniani to my list is a no brainer.
If you don’t already have it,consider buying this double cd of Avison’s own concertos to exprience this outstanding Naxos recording.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002BXO5U/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
A second double cd of more of his concertos was also released by Naxos.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000E0VNY8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Also well worth considering.

H’mm...I’ve just spotted a few cds by a pupil of Avison called John Garth from Durham. I’m not at all familiar with him but the reviewers in Amazon seem to be delighted with his music.Another one to look into.:)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WC43M2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The presentation box of the Berlin Phil/Rattle Mahler 6; his first performance with the BPO and the last + a blu-ray
Truly a thing of wonder and beauty......and that's just the box!
I have grown to love the 6th and these are two wonderful performances!
Actually bought from Presto Classical - cheaper than any option on Amazon!

I bought the BPO/Rattle/Uchida Beethoven Piano Concertos presentation box (same format as above) as a Christmas treat a month ago and that is also a joyous interpretation (2 lovely sets, both from Presto!)

Also bought the Harmonia Mundi Debussy 3 sonatas and late works: fabulous!

(sorry: not sure how to paste in the Presto link)

H’mm...I’ve just spotted a few cds by a pupil of Avison called John Garth from Durham. I’m not at all familiar with him but the reviewers in Amazon seem to be delighted with his music.Another one to look into.:)

Hi Brian PK, I've never heard of John Garth but looking forward to hearing some of his stuff. Thanks for pointing him out.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8547732--js-bach-markus-passion-bwv247-1744
193483577968.jpg

but I really can't understand the pricing policy:
2 SACDs (usually £13.50) £12.50 [plus p&p]
Format: Hybrid Multi-channel. Usually despatched in 2 - 3 working days

Downloads
MP3 £15.77
FLAC(CD quality, 44.1 kHz, 16 bit) £22.08
Hi-Res FLAC(lossless, 88.2 kHz, 24 bit) £27.60
No digital booklet included

How can a physical product that has to be made (disc, case, booklet), warehoused, shipped, stocked, posted be so much cheaper than downloads that just have to be stored on and made accessible from a server? Fortunately, I prefer to have the disc, though I had been thinking I might buy the download this time. I know it's all to do with markets and everything, but it just seems daft to me. I'm obviously not very modern!

PS Even cheaper at Europadisc and postage is only £2,- too.
https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/141195/JS_Bach_-_St_Mark_Passion.htm

(Will they have to change their name after Brexit ? ;))

How can a physical product that has to be made (disc, case, booklet), warehoused, shipped, stocked, posted be so much cheaper than downloads that just have to be stored on and made accessible from a server? Fortunately, I prefer to have the disc, though I had been thinking I might buy the download this time. I know it's all to do with markets and everything, but it just seems daft to me. I'm obviously not very modern!

You can make copies and give away the digital files, you can’t do that with the SACD. I’m guessing they’re factoring in potential lost sales.

I don’t understand this antithapy for CDs either, especially for something like the Bach which is likely to be nicely packaged with comprehensive notes.
Enjoy

You can make copies and give away the digital files, you can’t do that with the SACD. I’m guessing they’re factoring in potential lost sales.
You can still rip the CD layer and then give away the digital files if such an illegal thing floats you boat (not meaning you, Stunsworth :)).

Three new classical LPs arrived today:

Turns out its a vinyl cut of 24/96 remaster from 2011 - but it really sounds quite good, much better than the CD I have from 1990. Still a great reading from 1964, way ahead of the pack - Bernstein, Solti, Haitink etc were still just beginners with Mahler when this was recorded.

I was very impressed by his "proper" solo piano album of Bach pieces - this disc of reworks feature several electronica musicians and a tribute to Icelandic composer Johann Johannson. Featuring contributions from Ryuichi Sakamoto, Ben Frost, Peter Gregson, Valgeir Sigurðsson, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, Hildur Guðnadóttir, Skúli Sverrisson and György Kurtág. Enjoying it much, so far.

As with all batches of vinyl purchases, there sadly has to be a dud.

A new recording of the 1901 full orchestra edition of Faure's masterpiece. The sound would be fantastic but the vinyl is rubbish - rice krispies all the way through, and one very bad,very long scratch. Just playable over the warp :(
Notwithstanding that, its pretty dull tbh..... If I wasn't reading the excellent booklet notes I would have assumed it was the small orchestra chamber version originally written by Faure. I am sending this one back, I might get a digital download version but then maybe not.

Last edited:
its pretty dull tbh...
Nice to read this from someone else. Though a great fan of his baroque recordings (Matthäus-Passion, wonderful in every way), I still believe Herreweghe is not made for playing romantic works. Fauré Requiem, Brahms Requiem, Beethoven 9, Missa Solemnis... all just that: dull.

Nice to read this from someone else. Though a great fan of his baroque recordings (Matthäus-Passion, wonderful in every way), I still believe Herreweghe is not made for playing romantic works. Fauré Requiem, Brahms Requiem, Beethoven 9, Missa Solemnis... all just that: dull.

You might have a point.... I saw a live performance of Bruckner 9 by Herreweghe & the Champs-Elysee orchestra, must be 8 or 9 years ago now, and it was a bit dull too.

Anyway, got my refund from Presto for the faulty Faure LP, no problems - they are still my favourite online music shop, but they haven't asked me to send it back! Probably just a write-off for them.

So far, I'm really enjoying this:
https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/tw.asp?w=W482
635212058916.png

I downloaded the 24bit/192kHz version last night, and I must say, it sounds splendid. I don't know the work, Purcell has mostly slipped under my radar, though I've got The Fairy Queen by Christie and Les Arts Florissants. This seems a more restrained, less burlesque performance style than that. Very nice.

Also, this: An English Coronation 1902 - 1953.
635212056912.png

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_SIGCD569

It's full of old warhorses, and some may find the liturgical bits tedious (although Simon Russell Beale makes a wonderful Archbishop of Canterbury!), but the choral singing, recorded in Ely cathedral, with the Gabrielli Roar youth project, is quite extraordinary. The Creed from the RVW Mass in G is beautifully delivered and the Sanctus is quite etherial, so well paced; The Old Hundredth in the RVW setting can be a bit meuh, but here it's beautifully poised and the descant verse stikes the balance just right between hearing the descant and the tune. With the zapper to hand to cut the liturgical bits if you so wish, this is a great disc.

The postman brought me these today.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000001S27/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
51ygw3tyizL._SS500_.jpg

And this ..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GDU7K7M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

717SCzvL9KL._SX522_.jpg

I had a listen to both and am delighted with the involving,immediate sound.Marvellous music.I do like the very mellow CPO house sound.
Eichner is a first for me.Never even heard of them up to recently.I do like the harp and was listening to a delightful concerto by Dittersdorf (amongst others) a week ago and decided to go a hunting for more.
Very pleased with these.

advertisement

Back