advertisement

Retirement age of Pink Fishers

If I was single I'd have retired from full time employment and just done some freelance work now at 53. As there are three other draws on the wallet it'll be 60 unless fingers crossed there's another voluntary redundancy scheme at work in which case I'll be 55 and doing freelance work because it interests me for a couple of days a week

Retired two years ago at 60. Loving it. Don't miss work. When I told the bosses I was retiring a usual question was ' what will you do with your time'?. My glib answer was I've got a couple of thousand albums to listen to which will take me years.
Two years on I'm still listening, and continue to buy cds and lps, and have spent a bit ( a lot) on my system, and will probably be spending some more soon.
Bob F

Retired on ill health at 52 with full pension.

15 years of fun, travel and debauchery subsequently followed and hopefully many more to come.

I was always going to retire at 62, but got offered my dream job at age 61 so probably won't retire until 64. Unless they piss me off in a major way. The health insurance and stock options would keep me here even if I didn't enjoy the job so much.

I don't have kids. Might marry my girlfriend. Have the maximum amount in my pension pot to avoid additional tax so all good. Hoping to spend more time abroad when I retire. In view of Brexit this might have to be in 3 month lumps. I fancy a season in the alps, UK in the summer and Italy/France/Spain/Portugal in spring and autumn.

Only fly in the ointment is that I want a detached house to avoid upsetting the neighbours with my hifi and to provide more room for my books and records.

Are you married? I'm not proposing or anything but judging by my wife they just don't get the whole notion of hi-fi.:D

I am married (40 years in a couple of weeks). My wife has no problem with the hifi although she doesn’t like listening to music much. That’s why my main system is in the conservatory where I can disappear to when I wish. My wife also works pretty much full time so she’s not at home on the days I don’t work. I just keep feeling I should be getting on with ‘stuff’ rather than listening to music. That said, the last couple of weeks I’ve spent the afternoons that I’m not working watching the IPL cricket. I don’t feel guilty about that surprisingly as I know my wife would be watching if she were at home.

Retired at 61.5 due to my job evaporating though I didn't need to access my pension. After 14 months a job came up that I wanted to have a stab at. Been doing it now for a month, not sure if I'll stick it for 6, 12 or 18 months. Financially I can retire now though with drawdown pensions you have to take a view of how long you expect to live so even a year extra at work could make a worthwhile difference. Working one month tax free this tax year is great and I suppose if I just work 6 to 9 months next tax year it would be very tax efficient.

This is pretty much all I think about. Did you have to change area to afford the postcode you live in, and any concerns about not being able to move back?

I moved from a very nice modern city centre loft apartment in Liverpool to a neglected 3 bed property in a Lancashire mill town (its not bad now, but I still have things to do to it). I got a lot more space for my money, it is quieter too, but it is certainly not as conveniently located for friends, music, arts etc. I’ve lived all over the country so there is no ‘back’ really e.g. I know no one where I grew up, everyone has moved (mainly to That London, and no way I’d be able to afford to live there again!).

I do plan to move again when I no longer wish to buy/sell music as I’ll no longer need the space nor big town/city access, so there will be another stage in another decade or so. Something nicer, smaller, cheaper to heat and easier to navigate later in life. Brexit is obviously slamming many doors in my face for the final move, so I don’t know exactly where yet, but I have a few ideas.

It seems to depend upon your personality drivers - the Hurry ups feel guilty doing nothing. The Help others want to do voluntary work. Not sure what the be perfects or the be strongs want.

It seems to depend upon your personality drivers - the Hurry ups feel guilty doing nothing. The Help others want to do voluntary work. Not sure what the be perfects or the be strongs want.

This is so insightful. I'm one of those helper type people, but sadly it's one of the ones that is difficult to monetise so to be truly happy I feel like I need to cut down on my finance requirements, and living in London (which I love, because it's a nice bit) costs a bomb and makes saving very hard because its so easy for blips to send you back to where you started. Nevermind what Brexit might do the equity in the house or my plan for retiring anywhere I fancied in Europe where the sun shines and people aren't so fanatical about being americans.

Tony, the place I keep thinking about in the UK is somewhere in the middle of Wales. Its cheap and beautiful. The people are great. Summer will be amazing, especially as climate changes. It's just blooming miles from my mates and the family that remains. I don't really want to retire, I just want to get out of the race and away from the politics of those who want more all the time.

I retired at 56/57 in 1995 after 10 years overseas, returned overseas for about two years before retiring fully. Have an adequate pension, which I worked hard for - in quite difficult environments at times. Since retiring 'worked' in the voluntary sector (mainly education) for about 15 years.
Hi Fi, not quite a passion, but always interested, just prior to going abroad in 85, I bought tuner, pre and power amps from AVI when based in Gloucester, the then MD of AVI kindly arranged a demo session with his friend in Aston Down, who just happened to be the MD of ATC. At the end of an interesting session, with the AVI stuff hooked up to ATC10's, he said, 'you can't afford them, but listen to these' - a beautiful pair of ATC 100's which blew me away. Fast forward to 1996 we moved house, from Glos to Yorkshire, had a pair of 100 ltr cabinets made in Pakistan just before we left, bought K100 ATC drive units from Wilmslow Audio and built a pair of clone ACT100's which involved three weeks solid work! The following year upgraded with pair of used ATC active amps. All rewired last year, now as as good as it can be, except for....... That's it now, hope they 'see me out'. Have a pair of DIY Tannoy 12'' monitor golds from 1973, they still sound good fed from basic Naim Pre/power and Dual 505 , but in desperate need of refurbished cases, hope I can get around to doing that before popping off! Garden, house and family keep me out of mischief

Retired in 2010 aged 56. After lots of faffing and trying stuff I massively reduced my box count and bought a Vitus amp (the cheapest one). It’s the first new piece since my Rotel CD player in 1992.

Reactions: Spd
Apparently, I shall retire at 67 in nine and half years time. I'll never live that long. Mind you I started working before and after school in 1969, so do the Maths. I am worn out. Air sixteen I was running a 365 acre farm on my own most of the time. My father was totally useless ... At eighteen [1980] he went bust and I have been in fierce minimum wage manual labour ever since.

With best wishes from George

No house and no pension to speak of, I'll be working until whatever the retirement age is in 30 years. Can't wait...

Retired 4 years ago aged 51. I still work on open-source software (KiCad), but I don't do anything for money any more.

still at work, for now, BUT a Question i hear a lot pf people who have retired then work part time, most of them say it's not worth going back to work as the tax-man includes your pension as income, so you pay a lot more tax, a specially if you are taking a state and private pension and go back to work
so will you get taxed on it when you draw it,, and taxed again as its counted as income,

Pensions Very difficult subject to workout, probably the hardest thing you have to work out in your life, especially nowadays

I retired at 55. I’m now 60 and started another job 6 months ago. It’s a doddle and four minutes walk from where I live. Like someone else said earlier in the thread I’m one bad day from another retirement.

advertisement

Back