advertisement

Zyx R50 - advice please?

tricky1

pfm Member
Hi

Looking for some advice on what to do with my Zyx R50 Bloom (high output model). I think it will need replacing. The stylus looks worn and coloured (almost black). No amount of dipping in ZeroDust cleans it any better. I have this on a pre Cirkus Lp12 with Ittok LVII arm into a Dino MK1 with Dino+ power supply.
I liked the sound of this - I would describe it as detailed, 'airy', fast. Neutral not bright. But no way can I afford the Mk3 version. I have a limited budget of approx £300. So the options I see are:
1/ Get it re-tipped. Not even sure if that is possible on a Zyx? I don't think Zyx offer a retipping service, so it would have to be a 3rd party option. Also, since it's several years old, would it benefit from a re-tip if the cantilever/suspension is aged?
2/ Replace with a new budget MC cartridge.
3/ Forget MC on this budget. Go down the MM route.

My record collection is mainly indie rock and acoustic and rock/pop classics from 70s and 80s. All suggestions welcome (except throw the Linn in the bin!!)

If the stylus looks black, that's more likely to be caked crud, rather than a worn tip. Mind you, if you've had this for a few years and used it a fair bit, the tip may be past its best.

You could send it to Wyndham Hodgson at Expert Stylus. If you call him on the phone, he will be very happy to discuss options with you. ESCo have just refurbished 3 cartridges for me - 2 x Denon 103 sapphire cantilever/paratrace stylus conversion and an old Ortofon SL15Ell paratrace retip - excellent job.

Get a loupe - the coloured almost black says to me it is simply incredibly dirty. Then get work on it with something more aggressive than zerodust - I soaked my Asakas in cleaning fluid then went to work on them with needles, stiff brushes and tweezers. Of course, you could also sell me it as worn out for £40 :)

Retipping will be at least £350. I've recently bought an AT33 PTG & very much rate it but also above budget. Your deck is a classic BTW so that's the last thing you want to change.

advertisement

Back