advertisement

Cosey Fanni Tutti

I'm now on my second listen of the LP and I really like it. The sky blue vinyl is beautiful to behold and the music just makes me wanna... makes me wanna live (in the same way Memory of a Free Festival* makes me wanna live)!

* Don't read anything into the reference other than the upbeat desire to live as expressed by Bowie matches the feeling I experience when I'm listening to Tutti - there's no musical connection here whatsoever.

Although I don't buy records as an investment, I wouldn't be surprised if this LP becomes highly collectable once it's out of print. I mean, how many copies are they going to print - a few thousand? I don't know for sure but I don't see it being enough to make it a chart topper.

I bought the vinyl yesterday, it really is rather good. Shame the download is only an MP3 though. Her book Art Sex Music is well worth a punt, a remarkable and somewhat disturbing document. She’s the real deal for sure!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'd say it's excellent. Pretty much the album I hoped she might have made when I was trying to explore the Carter Tutti oeuvre last year.

I've listened to the album three times on YT. Totally absorbing and I keep thinking about it between listens. 10/10!

The LP is rather expensive, as good vinyl does tend to be these days, I guess. I wish it weren't an option...

I don't know how much the LP was when it was released but I hesitated when I saw the current price tag of £23... but only briefly because I'd rather get a copy on the first floor rather than pay through the roof once it's out of print. And the first floor price is probably only about £5 more than the original ground floor price so to forfeit a fiver for a lifetime's pleasure still seems like a bargain all things considered.

Seems like a decent enough pressing too. I bought mine from Piccadilly as I was in Manchester anyway and doing it that way meant I didn’t have to risk a dinged sleeve from mailing. I always wet-clean records on my VPI 17i before playing them, especially ones in card inner sleeves like this one, but with that caveat it seems flat and very quiet. I’ve not compared it to the digital MP3 version yet. To be honest I went the vinyl route as I suspect it may become collectable, otherwise I’d have gone CD as vinyl limits me to just the front-room system!

IIRC Amazon are now paying far more tax and working more ‘nationally’ with regards to warehousing/supply-chains etc, which has bumped up prices to the end-user somewhat. There was some structural change a while back, but I can’t remember the exact details. They don’t seem to have the unfair advantage they once had anyway. FWIW I paid marginally less at Piccadilly for the vinyl than the current Amazon price (£22.something).

Just ordered a copy, fingers crossed it’s a decent pressing. I’ve never had a decent coloured record before. I suppose there’s always a first time?

Thanks to @Cereal Killer for the heads-ups.

Standard vinyl is coloured with carbon to make it black! Some companies got this slightly wrong, e.g. Pye, so many of their pressings either for themselves or others on contract (Elton John, Donna Summer, and famously Joy Division) are actually a translucent dark red when held to a light!

PS Just played this again earlier, I really like it. It kind of takes what were always my favourite aspects of TG and builds on them. It is *very* TG, but very ‘now’ too. I’m surprised not to see a Chris Carter credit anywhere though!

That surprises me as I have quite a few. Back in the late 80's Ryko made a point of using a translucent vinyl for their Bowie issues and they are exemplary.

Really? Every single coloured pressing I've bought has been paints! Then again lots of (new) Black vinyl has been poor too...But let's not derail this thread on the state of vinyl.

The noisey interview with Cosey Fanni Tutti is great, as is some of her music. She answers a couple of difficult questions in a very straightforward manner.

It is interesting to hear her mention Gen, his manipulation and abuse. I interviewed him once at his house in Beck Road, Hackney for NME. He was obviously interesting to talk to. I questioned his approach to some things though and wrote what I thought was a balanced piece.

Months later I spoke to someone involved with PTV, who came around - at their insistence - to my flat to be interviewed. They went absolutely mental and started screaming at me about how I'd lied in the feature and insulted Gen and PTV.

Oh well.

Jack

advertisement

Back