advertisement

Superfi liquidation auction

I started negotiating to buy a pair of black kef r300s with a big chunk out of an edge the day before they closed down. They are not in the list nor are the exdemo white R300s they also had in the shop. Disappointed. Might bid on the brown R300s but I only want the drivers and so am likely to be outbid by someone wanting full speakers. I wonder if they might have held back significantly damaged stock?

PS They don't seem to be holding back damaged stock given a few other kef speakers seem to have less severe but similar damage. Odd.

so they really are gone. lots of stuff. poor arrangement of items? since so many of same item should have done it differently? I see a Linn Sondek LP12

so they really are gone. lots of stuff. poor arrangement of items? since so many of same item should have done it differently? I see a Linn Sondek LP12
Yes. That looks like it is fitted with a keel and an Ekos SE so iam surprised it is listed as£1699 RRP.

35 % fees on top of sale figures or thereabouts

Don't forget the VAT on buyer's fee of 15%, so 18% in total, plus VAT on hammer value.

No indication of venue for inspection? Given the lamentable state of two purchases I made from Superfi, I would strongly reccommen inspection. I suspect much of this is returned stock, even if not shown as such. No warranties at all for this kit. A very big risk to buy unseen. If the price is low enough then maybe worth a punt, but I suspect that the ebay 'dealers' will be all over this, along with many of the more legitimate dealers.

I also looked further in to this; you have to register a debit card (not credit card, has to be a debit card) on the auctioneer's site. That's me out then.

First thing that popped out is that another HiFi retailer has went to the wall very sad. I'm not sure a lot of people understand spare cash has dried up for many. Yet many who caused the crash are richer now than they were before the crash.

I'm not sure a lot of people understand spare cash has dried up for many.

I am not convinced this has anything to do with spare cash......just spending habits and listening habits changing. Most of my listening is through Amazon Alexa devices. When I am cooking I'll use my Unitiqute for internet radio or local streaming. I get to use my main system about once per month, and rarely with vinyl, sometimes with CD and mostly with streaming. My listening habits and needs have changed - I no longer have a huge interest in HiFi Equipment... I did look at that sale, as I fancied a pair of those KEF powered all-in-one streaming speakers (LSX?). But the terms of the sale put me off.

Looking at the similar bids for items, I suspect some certain large second hand HiFi dealers are looking to hoover up the most saleable items.

Unless you’re local getting hold of the goods will be a hassle. So auction markup plus Vat plus no warranty - would only make sense if they go for peanuts but my hunch is will end like eBay. Be interesting just to watch

As for why, could have just been a bad business but I guess everything is a factor - aside from wealth there’s a definite lifestyle shift away from sitting in a room listening to your hifi. Things are much more sociable - multi room etc and portable - headphones, and high end home cinema. Most hifi places have adapted to adjust.

Unless you’re local getting hold of the goods will be a hassle. So auction markup plus Vat plus no warranty - would only make sense if they go for peanuts but my hunch is will end like eBay. Be interesting just to watch

As for why, could have just been a bad business but I guess everything is a factor - aside from wealth there’s a definite lifestyle shift away from sitting in a room listening to your hifi. Things are much more sociable - multi room etc and portable - headphones, and high end home cinema. Most hifi places have adapted to adjust.

Indeed. Legacy hifi, which already was niche is likely becoming even more so. Anybody not jumping on the bandwagon of DSP, multi room and lifestyle will find it increasingly difficult to survive except perhaps some Dinosaur brands supported by Dinosaurs. We know what happened to them.

The future is streaming only, no physical media through good looking small systems/powered speakers ideal for the smaller living spaces most have these days.

AJ has long predicted that and everything points towards that he was spot on.

I'd be amazed if companies like Naim will spend much development time and money on old style separates in 5 years time or even sooner.

Indeed. Legacy hifi, which already was niche is likely becoming even more so. Anybody not jumping on the bandwagon of DSP, multi room and lifestyle will find it increasingly difficult to survive except perhaps some Dinosaur brands supported by Dinosaurs. We know what happened to them.

The future is streaming only, no physical media through good looking small systems/powered speakers ideal for the smaller living spaces most have these days.

AJ has long predicted that and everything points towards that he was spot on.

I'd be amazed if companies like Naim will spend much development time and money on old style separates in 5 years time or even sooner.
Sad but true, I guess I'm a dinosaur, I will never stop listening to my CDs & vinyl but will I continue to invest in the hardware now that CD quality (and better) streaming has become so easy to access?

advertisement

Back