advertisement

Who's heard the Kii Three speakers?

Keith,
If using a preamp with built in phono stage or modules is it better to use the preamp outs (i.e including the output stage and volume control of the preamp) or take the output from the record out bypassing the volume control and use the volume control in the Kii3's?
If doing it this latter way and coming from RCA record outs (that are unbalanced) are the Kii3's in anyway problematic with an unbalanced to balanced (XLR) input using an adapter or correctly wired XLR plug? Hum, noise etc.
Jim

We have customers using both options. Choose whichever is most convenient, but if your turntable is your only analogue source then I would say connect your phono stage directly to the speakers.

Unbalanced RCA to XLR cables can pick up some noise over longer runs. Better shielding or careful cable routing might help. Only incorrectly wired cables will hum.

We have customers using both options. Choose whichever is most convenient, but if your turntable is your only analogue source then I would say connect your phono stage directly to the speakers.

Unbalanced RCA to XLR cables can pick up some noise over longer runs. Better shielding or careful cable routing might help. Only incorrectly wired cables will hum.

Keith & 'Strickly',
I do have spare analog inputs and very occasionally use the FM tuner section of a Yamaha CR1000 into one, but could use that on its own so turntable as as only analogue source is ok and is my preferred source. I do run two arms with different cartridges (both MC) on my turntable though and phono stage is not seperate, two seperate modules on a Burmester 808 preamp. One module is MC and the other MM, but fed by a TX103 transformer. Quality is very high and I doubt I could get a phono stage with two inputs under about £3 - £5K that would be as good to replace the Burmester. Other source is CD.

At present I run 10 meters of interconnect (I don't need this length now, but as zero problems have not bothered to shorten it) from the preamp to my Merdian M10 balanced XLR inputs. The interconnect is connected to XLR's on the Burmester, but these are not fully balanced so pin one is connected to XLR shell at speaker end. Zero hum and noise with this arrangement even with volume (with no record playing) much past normal highest listening levels.

Volume control (stepped attenuater) and output modules are high quality, but obviously extra circuit and would be bypassed if using 'record out' phonos and volume control in Kii3's. As Keith says I would need to try both I suppose. I just wondered if anyone had already done this and had a preference or problems with unbalanced to balanced.

Still all speculation on my part as I have not auditioned the speakers as not too well at present, but I like the concept and reviews. I get an audition of the Kii3's and Dutch & Dutch as soon as well enough. Thanks for replies.

Has Kii ever defined what the "wall" and "free standing" settings mean in terms of actual distance from the wall(s)? Corner is pretty obvious, the other two aren't.

Has Kii ever defined what the "wall" and "free standing" settings mean in terms of actual distance from the wall(s)? Corner is pretty obvious, the other two aren't.

When I was a Kii retailer they were pretty vague on this point. What they say is that the marked "wall" and "corner" positions mean "close" and that the minimum distance is ~10cm. I would set the control by eye initially then measure and adjust from there.

Do you have access to a microphone FD, a quick measurement of left and right speaker with REW ( room EQ wizard) adjust then re-measure.
Ultimately choose a balance you enjoy.
Keith

Do you have access to a microphone FD, a quick measurement of left and right speaker with REW ( room EQ wizard) adjust then re-measure.
Ultimately choose a balance you enjoy.
Keith

Yes, that's definitely true. I have to get a mic sometime and do measurements. Just am too lazy and I'm enjoying listening to the music too much to bother. But, I've played with them enough that I sorted it by ear. I just find it curious that they don't give users some kind of rough guide. I think this would be helpful for anyone setting them up the first time and not putting them in a corner.

Whatever you choose isn’t really wrong, just personal preference , but it is worth a quick measure, have you read the Mitch Barnett review where he uses the Kiis tone controls to simply create his personal target curve.
Keith

Keith, what happened to your measurements of the Kii Three + BXT?
And I'd be interested also in just your personal impression of the system.

advertisement

Back