advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it also possible to save different filter sets and swop between them easily? Or just retain (have) the numbers, Note the kind of curve this gives, and easily change these in setup to get that curve?

You can export the filters from REW as text files. To switch between filter sets, you have to manually type in the centre frequency, gain and Q values for each filter. This is not difficult, but it is not as convenient as being upload filter sets and it does not lend itself to quick changes like presets might.

Looking forward to Knipster's or Strictly Stereo's response to this. I assume there's something about room modes here which are unique to the room?

There is nothing at all unique about Knipester's room modes. The different filter sets he has implement two slightly different curves. They are not unlike the two curves he used in Kegworth. There are lots of reasons why someone might want to switch between different curves, in addition to simple personal preference. You might want to lift the midband to bring out dialogue when watching a movie. Or you could have a family and neighbour-friendly nighttime preset with reduced low frequency output.

From what I’ve read you can’t currently save filter sets or anything else as ‘presets’. The pros seem to be requesting this too. I imagine for AV use it would be handy.

Not quite sure what you meant with the final question.

I have MDAT files for every customer and then a collection of filter sets saved as files with names like Bruel and Kjaer Left and Harman Right. I have a collection of "house curve" files which allow these curves to be used as targets when generating filters in REW.

There is nothing at all unique about Knipester's room modes. The different filter sets he has implement two slightly different curves. They are not unlike the two curves he used in Kegworth. There are lots of reasons why someone might want to switch between different curves, in addition to simple personal preference. You might want to lift the midband to bring out dialogue when watching a movie. Or you could have a family and neighbour-friendly nighttime preset with reduced low frequency output.

I meant that each room / speaker position / listening position combination is unique in terms of which frequencies are boosted and which are reduced at the listening position, and the magnitude of the modes.
I thought perhaps the rew measurements would identify the boosted frequencies and then the speakers would apply the necessary notches at those frequencies to provide the overall curve preferred by the listener. Perhaps I have misunderstood how these speakers deal with the room.

I meant that each room / speaker position / listening position combination is unique in terms of which frequencies are boosted and which are reduced at the listening position, and the magnitude of the modes.
I thought perhaps the rew measurements would identify the boosted frequencies and then the speakers would apply the necessary notches at those frequencies to provide the overall curve preferred by the listener. Perhaps I have misunderstood how these speakers deal with the room.

That’s right.

Interesting the MiniDSP cans with between modes, tho. I’ll be having a chat with Lee about this if I end up with one, as the ability to warm up the bottom end for av duties could prove useful...

You can do that by simply increasing the bass in one of the three. slope filters in lanspeaker if that’s all you want.

Yes the 8Cs have a tone control, where you can essentially add a ‘shelf’ adding or subtracting bass and or treble, added to the boundary filters and the internal parametric EQ they are extremely versatile.
The internal EQ is transparent I probably wouldn’t add another ( external ) layer of filters unless you feel it absolutely necessary.
Keith

.. not to mention when the roon readiness is actually ready you’ll have a third possible level of filtering .. instantly switchable with presets too ..

The internal EQ is transparent I probably wouldn’t add another ( external ) layer of filters unless you feel it absolutely necessary.
Keith

I cannot picture a situation where anyone would need to use external filters on top of the built-in filters. However, I see no harm in using external filters instead of the built-in filters, especially if that option brings other benefits, such as the ability to quickly switch between multiple presets.

.. not to mention when the roon readiness is actually ready you’ll have a third possible level of filtering .. instantly switchable with presets too ..

This works very well too, but of course it only applies to the Roon input and not to other sources.

FINALLY got to hear the 8c and Kii Three together today, after what seems like the most effort I’ve ever put into arranging a speaker demo.......

Well, too little time spent with them really but plenty to ponder. Actually the nicest surprise was coming home to realise my system’s actually pretty good. :)

Please share your ponderings.

I don’t want to go into too much detail yet (and haven’t got time anyway) but let’s just say I went in with preconceived ideas and things got turned around a bit.

Bear in mind this was only a comparative demo in an unfamiliar space but I didn’t really conclude much other than they’re both similar but different, they lived up to some of the hype but not all, and aesthetically I had a definite preference. I’m glad I heard them and may do a proper home demo now but there are things to weigh up beyond sound too.

Last edited:
On a different tact, I received an Innuos today from Lee.

How easy to use are they! 27 cds ripped already. 1st part of the new jigsaw commenced...

I had a self inflicted rule when ripping my cd collection (1300+) that i’d always insert one ever time I passed my ripper (vortexbox). Took a few weeks but you only need to do it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back