advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not so straightforward. If a fault occurs after six months then you have to prove that the fault was present at the time of manufacture. That might be difficult to prove, so while this might provide a useful last resort in the event of a disagreement, you should really look to the manufacturer or retailer's warranty first when making purchasing decisions.

No signs of impact or liquid damage is sufficient to achieve that. That is certainly all Apple etc look for. Any company refusing would come a cropper in the small claims court, which would be my next destination.

PS I sincerely hope this isn’t a statutory right we end up losing with Brexit! It is *very* useful and for me actually influences my purchasing decisions, e.g. I’d never even consider buying an expensive computer or hi-fi component unless I was guaranteed at least 6 years trouble-free use. Not a chance! I don’t expect anything to be replaced if I damage it (impact, spill etc), but with so much modern stuff being all but unserviceable I’d steer well clear without a sound legally binding assurance it was fit for purpose.

With all this warrenty debate there’s one thing that I’m thinking as I sit in front of my new 8c’s having had them installed yesterday by Lee....they sound amazing!

Enough, already. I reckon I’m about five weeks away from mine...

Neil, Your pmc’s at the wam show the other year showed me what dsp could do. They simple shouldn’t/wouldn’t have sounded that good in the small room you had.

I do think if anyone is thinking of heading down the 8c route they should choose their dealer very carefully as the consultation and set up is as important as the speaker. I’m sure there’s plenty of folk on here who would have some basic REW skills to have a stab themselves but I don’t and would you really want to be left wondering if you’ve got the best out of them? Lee @ strictly stereo has blown me away with his support & technical knowledge in setting them up. I don’t pretend know how he’s done it but he’s delivered a sound that is so coherent and engaging my room has never sounded this good. I’m sat here with roon radio selecting the tracks and every song being played has something that makes me smile. Very happy

The 8Cs are really straightforward to set-up, all parameters are accessed from their own app, you only have to place the speakers where you choose and then input their respective distances from the side and rear walls, the speakers adjust their bass output and delay.
If the bass extension of the 8Cs excites any room modes, then you can use the inbuilt EQ just to reduce the energy at the problem frequency, I wouldn’t want anyone to think they have to be an expert in REW before considering a pair.
Keith

And they look like a golf bag.

The Beolab 90s bear a striking resemblance to the huge Messenger sculpture before it was unveiled in Plymouth today...

1_Messenger-under-cover.jpg

I'm not sure what warranty that comes with.

Last edited:
Just to clarify...

I have set the rear and side boundary settings in the 8c’s which is a doddle. I have Input the parametric filter codes into the 8cs which is just an exercise in taking your time and getting the numbers right.

The bit I’m not able to do nor do I particularly want to is the measuring of the room using rew. This also means that I can’t create the filter sets either as I don’t know how. I’ve seen Lee do the set up 4x now and I can honestly say I wouldn’t have a clue how to do it if someone asked me to. But my point was all I’m interested in is getting the best sound to my ear and the room where I listen to music in.

The bit I’m not able to do nor do I particularly want to is the measuring of the room using rew. This also means that I can’t create the filter sets either as I don’t know how. I’ve seen Lee do the set up 4x now and I can honestly say I wouldn’t have a clue how to do it if someone asked me to. But my point was all I’m interested in is getting the best sound to my ear and the room where I listen to music in.

Agreed!

Another thought I've had is to have a setting for when I'm using the AV stuff. Mmmm....

Just to clarify...

I have set the rear and side boundary settings in the 8c’s which is a doddle. I have Input the parametric filter codes into the 8cs which is just an exercise in taking your time and getting the numbers right.

May I ask what do you use the different ‘filter sets’ for, I understand the required response/target curve for a mixing/mastering engineer my be very different from a domestic listener.
Presumably you use them for different types of music?
Keith

May I ask what do you use the different ‘filter sets’ for, I understand the required response/target curve for a mixing/mastering engineer my be very different from a domestic listener.
Presumably you use them for different types of music?
Keith

Looking forward to Knipster's or Strictly Stereo's response to this. I assume there's something about room modes here which are unique to the room?

Is it also possible to save different filter sets and swop between them easily? Or just retain (have) the numbers, Note the kind of curve this gives, and easily change these in setup to get that curve?

Is it also possible to save different filter sets and swop between them easily? Or just retain (have) the numbers, Note the kind of curve this gives, and easily change these in setup to get that curve?
From what I’ve read you can’t currently save filter sets or anything else as ‘presets’. The pros seem to be requesting this too. I imagine for AV use it would be handy.

Not quite sure what you meant with the final question.

From what I’ve read you can’t currently save filter sets or anything else as ‘presets’. The pros seem to be requesting this too. I imagine for AV use it would be handy.

Not quite sure what you meant with the final question.

Thanks.
Probably a misunderstanding by me on the second point with no understanding of how you apply the curves generated in REW.

I don’t think you can import anything from rew. You’d have to manually add any PEQ’s you wanted numerically, one by one. That’s my understanding - I’ve never done it though, just from reading.

It is really simple to swop between filter sets, just open the app at Parametric EQ.
Keith

Each speaker has 24 slots available so depending on how many filters you settle on e.g. 6, in theory you could assign slots 1-6, 7-12, etc to each filter set then simply turn them on and off depending on the sound you want. It’s not a present but is fairly easy to switch between if you so fancied.

I don’t intend to do this as I’m happy with the sound I have but lee has provided a flatter set of filters if I ever tire from the 7db slope I have now.

@sunbeamgls my living room had a couple of anomalies including two nodes. My speakers are different distances from their respective side walls 0.7m & free space so balancing the sound was also required.

At the way show Lee kindly lent me a mini dsp that had presets so I could quickly switch between flat, my curves (0.7db fall per octave) and dsp off, which seemed to go down well with my rooms visitors. It would be a faff to do that via lanspeaker (d&d web app) although possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back