advertisement

Brand new PMC Twenty5.23 speakers

Behave now, Keith! :D

For what it’s worth, when I worked as a loudspeaker designer, we did the test you’re thinking of - namely comparing a ‘box-fresh’ pair of speakers with a pair that we had run in with pink noise for a constant 48 hours.

The differences were not subtle and it took a good week to ten days of ‘normal’ use before the box fresh pair caught up with the others.

And was that difference measurable?

If I was a dealer, I’d probably suggest
1-demoing a run-in pair in store, followed by
2- a “sale or return” home dem of that run in pair.
If you like that sound, then return the dem pair & order a new pair. If you don’t like em, assuming no damage has been done to the speakers, you get a refund or credit note towards different speakers.

Behave now, Keith! :D

For what it’s worth, when I worked as a loudspeaker designer, we did the test you’re thinking of - namely comparing a ‘box-fresh’ pair of speakers with a pair that we had run in with pink noise for a constant 48 hours.

The differences were not subtle and it took a good week to ten days of ‘normal’ use before the box fresh pair caught up with the others.
Hmmm!
Driver manufacturer didn’t test and measure each driver?
Keith

Most hifi speakers don't see this ever in their lives. How often do you run your speakers near flat out? For 48 hours? You physically can't do this with something like a Tannoy HPD or a big JBL unless you lend it to a local disco operator for a few weeks.

We used to put them face to face, connect one out of phase, stuff any rear ports with sponge, feed them pink noise and cover them with a duvet/layers of acoustic foam. The result, even when the drivers were hammering away, was little more than a background hiss.

And was that difference measurable?

Yes. Both impedance and frequency response traces had notable differences. If you knew where to look, of course...

I think what you are experiencing is quite normal. I have had many speakers that needed an extensive break in period. I used to make use of the the IsoTek system conditioning CD on repeat. I would place the speakers facing each other, and put one speaker out of phase with the other, and then leave for a couple of days.

EDIT: Ooops didn't see Beobloke's post -apologies for repetition.

Given my own personal experience if you don’t like the sound of them out the box you’re probably not going to like them in a week.

Totally agree. Anything else is wishful thinking.

They may change a little bit, not THAT much. More likely you just get used to the sound.

I always found that if anything niggles me about a hifi component it only gets worse in the long run.

Don't torture yourself. Buy something you actually like the sound of.

I do agree that the difference between speakers cold out of the box & them being fully run in is usually not a huge step change, more of a fine tuning effect.
As for the PMC’s, as I said, to me they have a full bass end & a fairly hot treble.
This does seem to be fairly common with recent speaker designs, ie many of the mainstream speaker designs seem to run a forceful treble end. Along with PMC’s, I think Kudos, Focal, KEF, Monitor Audio, even maybe B&W have an up front presentation.
Of course, not all brands do this, it’s just that some of the less mainstream brands may need some seeking out.
Or maybe it’s my ears?

The two speaker pairs I've purchased new (Epos, Russell K) definitely broke in and sounded better after 30-60 hours, and I'm cynical with break in theories.

I've owned twenty.21 and 'boxy' isn't an attribute I'd give them, but rooms have a lot of say. I found them well less than forward in the midrange.

It's interesting, because I came to dislike the Epos (Elan) over time whereas the opposite was true with the Russell K which didn't start off so well but ultimately have become stellar.

Contemporary manufacturers have a ‘reference’ loudspeaker and every unit manufactured is identical to that master.
Keith

^So they do but the reference is a properly burned-in speaker, unless they are complete amateurs.

Here are some examples of what happens when midwoofers loosen up during the first 80h of use:
http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm

EDIT: of course they can compare apples to apples and measure a non-burned in reference against every new speaker when it's also not burned in. But those measurements won't match how the speakers will measure after some dozens of hours in use.

There's no doubt about the burn in effect in new speakers, but what do you think of speakers not used for some time?

There's no doubt about the burn in effect in new speakers, but what do you think of speakers not used for some time?

Ferrofluid drying up in tweeters is an issue, but I think that happens whether they are used or not.

I had Focal speakers in the past and the advice there was plenty of run in - even 200 hours

Do different brands tend to need different timespans for run-in? I have nearly new B&W 804D3s . do they need lots of hours? Just wondering if they might get even better with time :D

It’s not that I don’t like the speakers, they are really great with a stunning 3D presentation and music presence for speakers being so small in size.

The fact is that I never thought there was such a big difference from a brand new sealed speaker and the same one an ex demo, for example.

Now I’m going to let them run for a while.

If you can, leave them speaking without audience. This helps mitigate the acclimation factor if and when they suddenly sound good to you.

Back in the mists of time when I bought SBLs to replace Keilidhs I thought they sounded right from the get go. Still love them now

All the hints are pointing towards a minimum of 40 hours of run in, better 80. Exactly what is written in the PMC manual inside the box.

All the hints are pointing towards a minimum of 40 hours of run in, better 80. Exactly what is written in the PMC manual inside the box.
Not all. You still have a choice to make about whether to go with initial impressions and return them or to keep them for a while and, hopefully, let us know if your impressions change. The second is the more interesting option for us.

advertisement

Back