advertisement

Turntable mat

ducatiman

pfm Member
Looking at various mats to finish off my Garrard 301 project.
I have the original which has washed up very well, good as new in fact but I’m wondering if any of the newer aftermarket options offer a worthwhile improvement,read good things about The Puresound Tenuto or Acromat to name just a couple.
Any first hand advice gratefully received

I tried rubber, cork, acrylic, leather and felt. Somehow ended up at acrylic with leather on top ( non-strobe platter). The acrylic stops the platter from ringing, the leather (suede side up) provides a nice 'bed' for the vinyl to sit on. Works for me...

Just noticed your user name. I have a bevel engine sitting on my kitchen table in front of me as I type this. :)

My acrylic mat serves as a dust cover for the platter of my SME20 and my funk firm Achromat serves to keep the dust off the platter of my Clearaudio RCM :) Much more convenient than felt or leather... they can be removed and replaced with just one hand :)

More seriously the felt mat and its propensity to adhere to the record as I lifted it off the platter was one of the many motivations to get rid of the LP12...

My acrylic mat serves as a dust cover for the platter of my SME20 and my funk firm Achromat serves to keep the dust of the platter of my Clearaudio RCM :) Much more convenient than felt or leather... they can be removed and replaced with just one hand :)

More seriously the felt mat and its propensity to adhere to the record as I lifted it off the platter was one of the many motivations to get rid of the LP12...
I got rid of the mat...

In 35 years of Linn ownership I have had mat lift happen no more than a handful of times.

Sorry to jump in but do any of these ringmat type things ever make a difference?

Nothing big like cables... my Ringmat is in a cupboard somewhere along with some cork composite two part mat and the other more rigid ones make convenient dust covers

Every felt mat I've had has come off with pretty much every LP, if I had one again I'd probably use some thin double sided tape to keep it in place.

I always used the stock Garrard mat, though I refuse on OCD record-collecting principles never to use a ‘hard’ mat due to risk of scuffs from any hard particles that may inadvertently get between the mat and platter. Even more so with clamps, just no way would I risk a valuable record with one of those!

PS Thinking about it I may well still have a Lorricraft cork mat knocking around somewhere. I should sell that if I’ve still got it as I’ll never use it!

I tried rubber, cork, acrylic, leather and felt. Somehow ended up at acrylic with leather on top ( non-strobe platter). The acrylic stops the platter from ringing, the leather (suede side up) provides a nice 'bed' for the vinyl to sit on. Works for me...

Just noticed your user name. I have a bevel engine sitting on my kitchen table in front of me as I type this. :)
Lol been working on my Pantah today !

i dont mind the lp12 felt mat lift off thing, i just use it to keep my fingers off the disc en route to sleeve. my linn was above head level so my angle of lift was awkward, the mat helped.
I would like to locate the metal plate on my 401 mat as its missing. Im such a tight arse i object to paying much for a flattened milk bottle top ...the 301 has a much cooler mat.

I suppose a Cork mat would fool those who inherit my kit into thinking it was modern.

Cork on garrards. To my eyes its a pleasing aesthetic

advertisement

Back