advertisement

Floorstander Speakers Recommendation

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Hello

I’m toying with the idea of replacing my stand mounted speakers with floorstanders.
My system is WT Simplex into Naim SN2 amp, driving Russell K Red 50’s. I really like the sound, but would like a bit more “Omph” at times! I used to have Royd Doublets many years ago and really liked them, but back then, was in a tiny room and they were too much at times!
I’m now in a 16’ x 12’ room. Listen mainly to rock music!
Budget would be around £1000 and most likely looking at secondhand.
Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Neat Elite SX on ebay. under your budget. Great detail, tight bass. I have a pair and they are great IMO. Quite compact for a floorstander.

When you say “Omph” are you looking for more bottom end? I am not familiar with your current speakers but because of their size I am assuming they don't go that low; I may be wrong. As you already have one part of the WT/Dynavector/Shahinian trilogy, have you thought about trying the Shahinian Compass's as they do have a surprising amount of bass for such a small footprint.

A well intergrated subwoofer would support the bass your existing speakers are producing.

If intergrated correctly it will add some heft or weight to the sound your system is producing.

Thanks all so far!
I have only demoed small Neat stand mounts in the past, too my ears, they sounded a bit lifeless, but not to say the floorstanders are anything like that!
I was after a bit more bottom end definition, but I don’t have room to fit a sub in my system or in my room it’s in.
I did have Mk1 Obelisks for a week, admittedly with a Roksan amp, they sounded great, but so much bass at the levels I listen, that the walls shook and my wife got a bit “upset”!
Not sure about compass’s - I do have a local Shahinian dealer, so could possibly demo, as he sold me the rest of my system, he might have something interesting to listen too!

Have you ruled out the larger Russell Ks?

Linn Ninkas are good fun and would shift a lot more air. Great for rock. Sealed cabinet helps them boogie. Save yourself £500 in the process. You might need some K20 though, depending upon the balance you end up with. Mind you, I find K20 more musically coherent than NACA5 anyway, albeit not as clean and punchy sounding.

Thanks!
PM’s replied to!
Hadn’t considered Linn speakers, but might be worth a try!
I use EWA LS20 cable, liked it better than the TQ Black I was using, slightly better detail and with better bass definition!

I am still having a hard time to find a replacement for my Royd Doublets. Have heard both the Neat SX1 & SX2 and while they were better in some areas I still preferred the Doublets. There is something about their sound I always keep coming back to. The neats seem a bit lifeless.

You wouldn’t go far with Kudos X2s or their (slightly larger) successor X3s, and I speak from experience of owning both.

Tried a few speakers out today! Took my Russell K Red 50’s in to set off the listening session!
Listened to;
Fyne Audio F501’s - ok, but not wide enough soundstage and a bit recessed and “boring”
B&W 704 (I think, were about 2K floorstanders) - better, more alive, but not anything special to my ears!
PMC twenty5 21’s - better still! Sounded more like my Russell K Red 50’s!
KEF R3 - totally different presentation! Very “in your face” mids and uppers with a good amount of bass definition too! Just not sure if I would get a headache from the presentation after a while!
Russell K’s still the best I think so far!

My advice would be try & get a home demo or find a dealer who will take the speakers back if they don't work in your room. I have a similar size room to yours & the Tannoy XT6 floorstanders I bought a few years ago were a disaster, far too much bass, made some albums unlistenable, one of the worst buying decisions I've ever made (thanks What HiFi!). Currently home demoing Amphion Argon 3S standmounts, all the deep articulate bass you could ever need & work fine close to boundaries. So good I've ordered a pair & as a bonus David at the LittleAudio Co has let me keep hold of the demo pair till mine arrive.

I have a similar size room, and have some Triangle Antal EZ's, might be able to demo from audioemotion/eliteaudio, and they often have ex-dem?
They are very musical and fun, no particular weaknesses that I notice! (mileage may vary of course)

Going by your latest post I think the Russell K Red 120 or 150 floorstanders demand an audition? You said you like the Russell K Red 50 presentation but want a little bit more oomph; the bigger speakers should at least on paper fit the bill.

Even Red 100's (though still standmounts) ought to give a bit more bottom end while keeping within budget?

advertisement

Back