advertisement

Battle of Britain

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Not about Brexit, the film! Is the blu ray version worth getting ? I watched it on upscaled DVD last night. Some parts were quite grainy (50 inch 4K TV) and some parts looked very HD. It's a great film...I first saw it at the cinema behind the Empire in Liverpool on a school trip. The screen was so wide you had to turn your head as the planes whizzed by.

Fabulous film that I manage to watch once a year (Netflix last time I think)

The missus also will sit and watch it, win win.

Tony, I think film producers go to enormous lengths to get historical accuracy vis-a-vis uniforms and equipment nowdays.

That doesn't of course guarantee a good film. Would the Tank Museum have let their Tiger 1 loose in 'Fury' had they known what an execrable load of historically incontinent tosh it was going to be, I wonder?

The BoB producers went to enormous lengths to match planes and, in many cases, locations, with the original. But that there were more real ME109s rather than Bouchons in existence at the time.

And I’d guess that more than 95% of viewers couldn’t care less.

What really hurts me is when a local paper shows an incorrect aircraft that was based at a local RAF base. Jaguar instead of Tornado, that sort of thing. And then the journos get upset when they’re not treated like royalty when they want info.

And I’d guess that more than 95% of viewers couldn’t care less.

What really hurts me is when a local paper shows an incorrect aircraft that was based at a local RAF base. Jaguar instead of Tornado, that sort of thing. And then the journos get upset when they’re not treated like royalty when they want info.
I don't think its a matter of "couldn't care less", but more one of not knowing or being able to tell the difference. Do those Spitfires and Hurricanes have Brownings, Vickers and Hispanos?

...The BoB producers went to enormous lengths to match planes and, in many cases, locations, with the original. But that there were more real ME109s rather than Bouchons in existence at the time.

Mmmm...who else but moi would have misspelt a Buchon as a cork...

You have mostly missed the point. It is well made fairly accurate film ...

But the most significant thing is not picture quality or whether the 109s are exactly right, or even the precise historical accuracy, but that you should get the DVD version with the intended Walton film score.

I have just watched it with William Walton's music [for the nth. time], and the film certainly carries a bigger punch for the minimalist approach, musically speaking. Goodwin was a superb film-score composer, but unfortunately his compositional finger-prints are massive, and show a certain repition between various films.

Walton's score is a complete enhancement of the film. Laurence Olivier threatened to remove his name from the cast unless a portion of Walton's music was retained. The Battle in the Air was kept and is the musical high-light of the otherwise Goodwin music as released in the cinema. In the Walton version, it comes as a cumulation of the musical tension already built up.

G

Last edited:
Now listen May. It has come to that stage of the Brexit where a futile gesture is required. Get into a BAe 146, and pop over to Brussels. Oh, and May, don't come back.

advertisement

Back