advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had also never heard of him until the discount on his guitar caught my eye. He is half to blame for "Here I go Again" it seems.

It actually raises an interesting point about ‘signature’ guitars, i.e. do they add value or not? Are they a good buy? It isn’t something that has really appealed to me so I’ve not researched them much. Some limited editions seem to do the reverse of adding value, e.g. it seems that the 1979 ‘25th Anniversary’ Strat is worth less than a bog-standard Strat of that year, which I have to admit surprises me somewhat. I’d have expected that to be a fairly collectable guitar by now despite not being the prettiest thing.

Here’s ‘Fat-ass Lester’. I just dug it out for a re-evaluation and it does sound superb, but balances on the knee like a balsa-wood stick connected to a paving slab. The resting on the left knee ‘classical style’ thing is a non-starter too due to the position of the jack plug. I think it needs to go as having to wrap my left thumb round the fretboard to keep it in place really limits what I can play! If I played standing up (and could cope with the weight, this is one of the more sought-after ‘heavy’ LPs before CNC chambering was introduced) it really is a stunner, but I just suspect Les Pauls just ain’t me.

Tony , I seem to recall John Martyn claiming that it was playing heavy weight LP's that caused his foot damage that ultimately led to the amputation of his foot. :eek:

It actually raises an interesting point about ‘signature’ guitars, i.e. do they add value or not? Are they a good buy? It isn’t something that has really appealed to me so I’ve not researched them much. Some limited editions seem to do the reverse of adding value, e.g. it seems that the 1979 ‘25th Anniversary’ Strat is worth less than a bog-standard Strat of that year, which I have to admit surprises me somewhat. I’d have expected that to be a fairly collectable guitar by now despite not being the prettiest thing.

I didn’t know Bernie either. The signed plate is provided in a plastic bag, with a plain one fitted to the guitar out of the box. Whitesnake are not my thing. However, it seems he’s a well respected blues guitarist in more recent years.

Whatever, the guitar is a lovely thing for £549, and I’m not looking at an investment, but a really nice thing to keep learning on. This it does brilliantly. Highly recommended to anybody looking for similar!

I didn’t know Bernie either. The signed plate is provided in a plastic bag, with a plain one fitted to the guitar out of the box. Whitesnake are not my thing. However, it seems he’s a well respected blues guitarist in more recent years.

Whatever, the guitar is a lovely thing for £549, and I’m not looking at an investment, but a really nice thing to keep learning on. This it does brilliantly. Highly recommended to anybody looking for similar!

That is a really neat way of doing it. I have to admit once I’d googled and found who he was I was amazed it wasn’t an angular heavy metal shape with a headstock like the beak of a pterodactyl with a semi-naked girl paint-job! He must have either calmed down somewhat or Whitesnake weren’t quite where I’ve pigeonholed them! Anyway it just looks like a classic PRS to me, i.e. a nice shape with a really good finish. I’ve never played any PRS, but they seem to be very, very good by all accounts. I like the way they have managed very much to carve out their own ‘thing’ without being weird or overly genre-specific.

Yes, PRS make some very, very, nice guitars - from the affordable SEs through to some exotica.

As you may have realised my internet monica is after one of their colours. If I ever have three grand to spend on a guitar I’d get something like this...

46448277965_36975c3c06_c.jpg

Which gives quite an incentive to play the Bernie to justify such madness!

I have to admit once I’d googled and found who he was I was amazed it wasn’t an angular heavy metal shape with a headstock like the beak of a pterodactyl with a semi-naked girl paint-job! He must have either calmed down somewhat or Whitesnake weren’t quite where I’ve pigeonholed them! .

They were fairly accomplished bunch of musicians. I remember they provided the theme tune for 'Rock On' on the Beeb's Radio 1 back in the day..

You all need to park any prejudices and enjoy this stuff.

OTT but some great players went thru that band. From 02:00 onwards is so 80's coke fueled studio production...

Last edited:
I’ve never played any PRS, but they seem to be very, very good by all accounts. I like the way they have managed very much to carve out their own ‘thing’ without being weird or overly genre-specific.

It's more impressive than that because they came to prominence as the guitar of "nu metal" and were famously used by Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, etc. A lot of it is down to Paul Reed Smith and the fact that he really loves guitars and plays to a high standard and in an actual band and builds guitars for that.

It's more impressive than that because they came to prominence as the guitar of "nu metal" and were famously used by Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, etc. A lot of it is down to Paul Reed Smith and the fact that he really loves guitars and plays to a high standard and in an actual band and builds guitars for that.

PRS is usually labelled a 'metal' guitar for that reason. The fashion was for pups wound quite a bitter hotter than PAFs. Barnie Marsden, incidentally, started in UFO in the early 70s, what you'd call classic rock really, nothing as heavy as metal. The players at the time started to buy and explore these old LP bursts because they were relatively cheap, 2nd hand instruments, and some of them sounded fantastic.

You all need to park amy prejudices and enjoy this stuff.

OTT but some great players went thru that band. From 02:00 onwards is so 80's coke fueled studio production...

Yes, it was the record companies pushing the 80s hair/striped trousered metal at the time as the new thing...

For someone who loves guitars, I don't actually like much guitar music. All forms of metal have never been my cup of tea but also all the blues rock based stuff from the 60s and 70s has always left me cold.

I don't even like Led Zep very much and have never owned any of their records.

For someone who loves guitars, I don't actually like much guitar music. All forms of metal have never been my cup of tea but also all the blues rock based stuff from the 60s and 70s has always left me cold.

I don't even like Led Zep very much and have never owned any of their records.

I'm the same with LZ. I was also never into shredding for the sake of it - ever heard e.g. Paul Gilbert trying to play Gary Moore, one of the big 'talents' of his generation but he just can't seem to get any feeling into his playing? I only liked guitar music if there was a strong melody to it, I like tasteful fills and strong songs plus the odd solo, Mick Ronson springs to mind just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back