advertisement

Have a yen to upgrade my HD 650s; HD800S the obvious choice?

You really need to try a pair of 800/S’s before buying. They sound so completely different to any headphone outside electrostatics.
The Audeze phones are all warm and big sounding where the 800’s are totally transparent and lightening fast. If you like their sound nothing else will do. As a side note try the 800’s as well as the S’s, a lot of people prefer them as they have a magic that the S’s loses. Amps are vital too, they work best with a good valve amp. Most who call the 800’s too bright are using them with the wrong equipment...
Some 800’s with the right amp are the audio bargain of the century SQ wise....

I auditioned the Senn 650, Hifiman 560 and the Audeze LCD 3/fazor. The Audeze won me over- upgraded the cable to Wireworld Nano-eclipse. Very happy with them so far. Good luck with your decision!
54-E3-F0-F8-5240-4-AFA-B712-4-A1-CCC3-A5556.jpg

FF1-A5-D18-0488-4-D97-BDA5-018-F0-C3-E3588.jpg

May I suggest you consider the biggest bargain in high end headphones, the Koss ESP 950. Massdrop had them for US $499.

I have the Massdrop version of the Sennheiser 650 and my koss’ are in a different class altogether.

You really need to try a pair of 800/S’s before buying. They sound so completely different to any headphone outside electrostatics.
The Audeze phones are all warm and big sounding where the 800’s are totally transparent and lightening fast. If you like their sound nothing else will do. As a side note try the 800’s as well as the S’s, a lot of people prefer them as they have a magic that the S’s loses. Amps are vital too, they work best with a good valve amp. Most who call the 800’s too bright are using them with the wrong equipment...
Some 800’s with the right amp are the audio bargain of the century SQ wise....
What would be a good valve design that worked with 800s and shared their resolving abilities?

What would be a good valve design that worked with 800s and shared their resolving abilities?

Well I used an EAR HP4 but they’re big money. There’s a make of valve amp that works very well with them that lots use but I can’t remember the name of the top of my head....:rolleyes:

Edit....think it might be Trilogy...

Slightly off topic, but I was considering the HD660s, but after watching a few YT reviews have gone for the Massdrop 58X Jubilee at $165 - yes, much cheaper but by all accounts superior!

I did not care for the 6xx's (which are supposed to be an update to the 650's) and sold them. I agree with the veiled comment made about them. I bought the 58x Jubilee's, and love them. Clean, open, airy, balanced, totally belie their low price. I do also like my HD251-ii's; they are gruffer and old school but are an enjoyable listen.

I too would vote for Stax over the Senns. but it’s a significant investment given how critical the energiser is. If you’re happy with existing amplification it makes sense to continue with normal headphones and the 800s offer a lot for the money regards detail. Second a visit to Hi-Fi Lounge where Paul has a vast range.

Stax, Stax, Stax ... Their more expensive types with tube pres are just amazing. For me the best headphones.

There’s a make of valve amp that works very well with them that lots use but I can’t remember the name of the top of my head....:rolleyes:

Edit....think it might be Trilogy...

When doing my research into amps for my 650s I earmarked three: the Beyer and Teac for s/s and a very well received/reviewed/matched Serbian valved one whose name escapes me. All were around the 4 - £500 mark used/ex-dem. Believe me, I combed just about every comment on Google etc. at the time. However, valved amplification didn't quite suit my modus operandi. I'm so happy with the ergonomics and sound of my bargain basement Myryad that I can't imagine any further improvements; just differences. Only caveat is that I have to remove the cans to re-route TV to the pre. Would've preferred a switch.

monya,

I too would vote for Stax over the Senns. but it’s a significant investment given how critical the energiser is.

I've heard Stax headphones a few times (the 404, SR-007, SR-009) but I've never demmed a given pair with a range of energizers. Does this mean that if you're at, say, the SR-009 level, the bare minimum would be an SRM-007tI energizer?

Joe

monya,

I've heard Stax headphones a few times (the 404, SR-007, SR-009) but I've never demmed a given pair with a range of energizers. Does this mean that if you're at, say, the SR-009 level, the bare minimum would be an SRM-007tI energizer?

Joe

IMO yes. Nice and detailed but the mids and bass may be slightly soft, cured with a more powerful amp. Everything is there - just a little softened. High frequencies are very detailed and airy.

monya,

Yikes, I guess there's no such thing as a cheap entry into the world of high-end Stax, but I had no idea — until I had looked recently — that you can easily spend as much on an energizer for the SR-009 cans as on the cans themselves.

Incidentally, I've heard the SR-009 with the SRM-007tI a few times and was floored how good they sound. If Mike is an electrostatic bloke and has the cabbage that's what I'd recommend.

Joe

Mike,

I hope you don't mind, but I've mentally spent about 10k UKP of your cabbage on headphones ... erm, I mean ear speakers.

Joe

Reactions: JTC
I've heard the SR-009 with the SRM-007tI a few times and was floored how good they sound. If Mike is an electrostatic bloke and has the cabbage that's what I'd recommend.
Definitely, but bear in mind that the Stax energisers do not get the best out of the Stax headphones. For that you need to make an offering to the Stax Mafia. They will make you an offer you cannot refuse..... :)

advertisement

Back