advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+17)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eisenach

pfm Member
Coincidentally Andrew Mitchell MP was wheeled out today to also tell us no deal Brexit wouldn’t hurt as much as we might think. The EU would cave in once we took them to the wire on 29 March.

The Germans seem to be thinking that it's going to hurt them. There's a full page article in today's Welt am Sonntag shewing ways in which you can protect your savings from the brexit fallout !

Right-on! :mad: Hope as many as can will be on March on 23rd for a People's Vote, but also to demonstrate communal values and togetherness as before - really important that numbers are as many or even exceed those in October - and as diverse as possible geographically,age-wise, etc. Hopefully May's deal will have been dumped again by then, so all the more vital to display the real people's will! (48% and rising! ;) )
Yeah, come on fishies, show solidarity on the 23rd.

One distinguishing characteristic of primarily - though not exclusively - Tory politicians seems to be their reluctance to read and reflect, to be briefed and informed - whether it's Boris, Hunt, Davis (who spent was it around four hours if that in Brussels as Brexit Secretary), Williamson (was going to say Private Pike - but that's an insult to Pike), Raa-aargh-b, and of course Failing Grayling - you just wonder what we are paying these people for - most of whom would struggle to hold down a meaningful position in the public or private sectors. All have made successive gaffes and uninformed statements as well as cock-ups that would have provoked resignations before dismissals in previous eras.

The exchange between Will Self and the ironically named Mark Francois was very revealing on the intellectual level of the ERG:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p072z3yr
Mark Francois’s theme tune-

2dhslqr.jpg

One distinguishing characteristic of primarily - though not exclusively - Tory politicians seems to be their reluctance to read and reflect, to be briefed and informed - whether it's Boris, Hunt, Davis (who spent was it around four hours if that in Brussels as Brexit Secretary), Williamson (was going to say Private Pike - but that's an insult to Pike), Raa-aargh-b, and of course Failing Grayling - you just wonder what we are paying these people for - most of whom would struggle to hold down a meaningful position in the public or private sectors. All have made successive gaffes and uninformed statements as well as cock-ups that would have provoked resignations before dismissals in previous eras.

The exchange between Will Self and the ironically named Mark Francois was very revealing on the intellectual level of the ERG:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p072z3yr

They've had enough of experts. What's needed is faith, not facts.

The stare of utter contempt that Will Self gives Mark Francois says it all. Brilliant.

Will be there, with about half a dozen mates.

Excellent - coming down from Liverpool - there'll be at least a bus-load or two, plus others making their own way like me and meeting up with friends and family. Make sure you've got some good posters/placards - last time I especially liked, with apologies to "Train Spotting":

CHOOSE
losing Scotland,
Redundancy,
Higher Prices
Ignoring Experts
Ignoring most of the Population
CHOOSE HARD BREXIT

That's right Jack. What a shyster that Corbyn fella is. He should have just said "f@ck your referendum and democratic vote, it's all bollocks and I'm ignoring it". That would have allowed the right wing media to hail Corbyn as a hero. Oh, hang on a minute . . .

I think Labour have played this rather better than they’ve been given credit for. They couldn’t be seen to oppose the referendum result but they’ve done a good job of making sure it can’t be delivered. They’ve done the right thing in sitting back and watching the tories destroy themselves and own this mess 100%.

I’ve thought for a few weeks now that Brexit is finished and it seems that even Jeremy *unt now recognises it.

I think Labour have played this rather better than they’ve been given credit for. They couldn’t be seen to oppose the referendum result but they’ve done a good job of making sure it can’t be delivered. They’ve done the right thing in sitting back and watching the tories destroy themselves and own this mess 100%.

I’ve thought for a few weeks now that Brexit is finished and it seems that even Jeremy *unt now recognises it.
I hope you're right. And if, as 'unt suggests, failure to deliver Brexit will be the death knell for the Tory party, that will be payback for two and a half years of anguish.

And if this turns out to have been a skilful play by Labour, I will be utterly delighted to acknowledge it as such.

A timely reminder on the famous EU negotiation graphic from CGP Grey (which includes some outreaches of EU integration that I didn't even know about). The complete failure to engage with this essentially quite simple idea is at the heart of the Brexiteer refusal to engage in the process in any meaningful manner.

It's also the reason why Labour's response has been so underwhelming. If you take an obviously damaging event (fewer jobs, less money) that can be explained in a relatively straightforward manner (it's literally one chart!) and you cannot do this then you are going to find most of politics difficult.

McDonnell has just been interviewed on Channel 4 News. He says Labour will vote against May's deal on Tuesday and push their own plan for leaving the EU. They aren't interested in a second referendum at the moment.

If Labour take this right down to the wire and get a second referendum, fine I'll eat my complaints. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't work though, due to Labour's political fkucwittery and putting Party before country.

Meanwhile more and more Remainers are leaving Labour and the Bennites are stuck in their ancient ideology.

Whether the Tories split up or not is kind of irrelevant. The most important thing is stopping Brexit.

Jack

Last edited:
Excellent - coming down from Liverpool - there'll be at least a bus-load or two, plus others making their own way like me and meeting up with friends and family. Make sure you've got some good posters/placards - last time I especially liked, with apologies to "Train Spotting":

CHOOSE
losing Scotland,
Redundancy,
Higher Prices
Ignoring Experts
Ignoring most of the Population
CHOOSE HARD BREXIT
Should charge an entrance fee for spectators. Brogues, beards & beer guts, should be a spectacle :D

"Labour, meanwhile, shifts and shuffles on the question of a public vote, often appearing to care less about the consequences of Brexit for the country than the impact of its ever-morphing policy in leave-voting seats. After Jeremy Corbyn’s version of the deal was rejected by the Commons on 27 February, the ground was apparently set fair for the party to embrace, at last, a fresh referendum – as per the sequence agreed at its conference last year.

Yet on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show on Sunday, John McDonnell seemed to imply that he and his colleagues would still be pressing parliament to endorse their own alternative to May’s agreement. So which is it? Will the real version of Labour’s referendum policy please stand up?"

Don't feed buns to crocodiles:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-suggest-theresa-may-days-as-pm-are-numbered

If you think May's bad:
The frontrunners are considered to be Boris Johnson backed by Jacob Rees-Mogg, Jeremy Hunt, Sajid Javid and Dominic Raab. But Michael Gove could have another go, Liz Truss has undoubted ambitions, Andrea Leadsom has been mulling another attempt, David Davis still has not given up hope, Matthew Hancock is being “urged to stand” by colleagues, Esther McVey and Priti Patel are favoured by some hardline Eurosceptics, and Gavin Williamson has shown signs of gearing up for a shot at the top. Would Liam Fox even try again for consistency’s sake after failing in the last two contests?
Apparently Boris Johnson topped the most recent poll on Conservative Home so it's quite possible he could be Prime Minister by the end of the year. Staggering.

She’s going to have to watch her back in Westminster, the Ides of March are this week. McVey is preening, Raab is sweating.

Get ready for Raab. He’s got his Facebook page and Twitter account. Portillo got 20 BT phone lines installed to oust Maggie, now it’s “New Technology” Michael.

ojmkar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back